Stoping deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Do you stop deer for the shot?

Most of the time I stop them
36%
Most of the time I shoot them walking or wait for a natural shot.
29%
50/50 every situation is different
36%

Total votes: 28
PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Stoping deer

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 am

I think you could say that ita a guessing game to shoot while walking, but its even more of a guessing game to shoot at one alert. Its just my opinion but, you dont know if that deer will react when you shoot, so do you wanna maybe aim low? But if your leading it while its walking and you have practiced, its not such a guessing game...

For practice, we take an old tire and put a piece of cardboard in it. Then we have someone roll it all different speeds and we shoot at it. At first i could never hit it but eventually you get the hang of it. Its pretty sweet.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 am

I don't stop them, but I shoot quick. No reason to give them something else to think about when they're coming in.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:25 am

Good idea with the tire, Predator. You just need to practice and believe in yourself.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 am

I use a mouth bleat, "BaaAP", when they need to be stopped, but half the time it doesn't become necessary.

As far as shooting at a walking deer, I too, have shot at a walking deer - a confident move on my part based on a number of considerations (walking speed, distance, shooting lanes, angle, etc.) Understandably, there are considerations to take into account when considering loosing an arrow at a moving target, so I would assume Dan takes them all into account as you would before taking the shot...
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 am

I stop almost all my deer. Yes, they do get intense but most are within 20 yards and I've not had a problem. I'm leary of stopping them past 20 yards though.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:12 am

Sam Ubl wrote:I use a mouth bleat, "BaaAP", when they need to be stopped, but half the time it doesn't become necessary.

As far as shooting at a walking deer, I too, have shot at a walking deer - a confident move on my part based on a number of considerations (walking speed, distance, shooting lanes, angle, etc.) Understandably, there are considerations to take into account when considering loosing an arrow at a moving target, so I would assume Dan takes them all into account as you would before taking the shot...

Very good point!! I would never dare shoot at a walking deer quarting forward. That would be asking for a gut shot.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:03 am

How a deer reacts to the sound a hunter makes can depend on many things.#1 How old is the buck / How much hunting pressure has he had = how educated the buck is. The speed the animal is traveling, the ability of the archer. How far out of his bedding area the mature buck is. How loud you bleat/shot distance. I hunt high pressured bucks. I would opt for not trying to stop the buck even if he is running through or chasing a doe,So many times they will be back through that same area, esp. during the rut. I do not try to stop a buck when the shot is close. Last fall I took a fast walking buck @ 6 yds. The kill zone looks pretty large on a 250 lb buck at 6 yds= no need to stop him and risk sending him running.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Welcome to the forum, Martin! I hope I get a six yard shot with the bow on a nice buck this year. 8-)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:27 am

Welcome martin!! Lets see some pics of that buck!!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:11 am

I've had good luck stopping them with a MAAAAAAAAAA! ;) :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:20 am

I had a specific scenario in mind when I said I'd prefer to "take a chance" trying a stop call. Sometimes, the window of shooting opportunity is so narrow that without the deer stopping, it's nearly impossible to get off an ethical shot. Unexpected entry direction, heavy winds, thick brush etc can all play a role. Of course in a more open shot window scenario with perfect conditions, taking a walking shot is much more do-able.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:33 am

PredatorTC wrote:Welcome martin!! Lets see some pics of that buck!!

Glad to provide an assist, looks like we've got another serious whitetail hunter on our hands! Here's Martin's buck:

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:04 am

Congrats!! Thats awesome!! 8-)
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 am

Nice buck Martin, Welcome to the beast 8-)
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks for the welcome! This hunt was esp. sweet for me because my 8 y/o son was in the stand when I took this buck on Oct. 18th 2009. The future bow hunter really enjoyed this hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”