Scouting equipment in the field.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Scouting equipment in the field.

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 am

so whats the census on keeping dry? Are hip waders sufficient, or would one be better off with chest waders? What material is needed, rubber, neoprene, etc? Im leaning towards hip waders, as chest waders can be a real chore to walk in.
I like the idea of marking tape for a temporary visual. Mark the tree where you think your head will be, look at it from the bed. Mark the trail where you think you can get shots, get in the tree and verify those lanes are shootable. Definitely remove tape when done. I would also note on your compass the general direction to leave after a night sit. Its easy to loose your bearings when it gets dark, and at least my gps does not work well till Im moving. I usually get packed up, look at my compass and head the known direction.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 am

Hip boots work great most of the time but if you get chest waders make sure you get the breathable kind otherwise if you wear the standard rubber or neoprene you will heat up extremely fast.
These are very good from Cabela's...........
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t103895280
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 am

Does anyoe bring their stand and sticks with when scouting? I always think about it but rarely do. It'd be nice to get te tree set up perfectly but it's a lot of work lugging that thing all over the place....in my opinion.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 am

matt1336 wrote:Does anyoe bring their stand and sticks with when scouting? I always think about it but rarely do. It'd be nice to get te tree set up perfectly but it's a lot of work lugging that thing all over the place....in my opinion.

I sometimes do.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:20 am

On the private land I hunt I have been bringing it with to prep trees and to practice set up and take down so I can be more efficient in the fall. On new pieces of land I will be hunting, public and private, I like to walk as much of the property as I can to get a feel for all of it. I am not to the level of some on here where they can pick out transitions and edges and just scout those and be successful I like to see every inch of the property. As good of a work out as it would be, I do not take my stand and sticks with me on those days.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:04 am

It depends on the property whether I carry a stand and if it's in season or not. Almost always carry 6 sticks with me in case I find something worth setting up on out of season.
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 am

Wondering if anyone has some additions.

I would say right now:

Paper maps/stuff to write with
Backpack
Water
Binos

Thinking about adding a gps and a means to take pictures with. For those who take pictures during scouting, does it make a big difference?
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:32 am

Like Dewey said zip lock bag for cell phone mandatory marsh/swamp thing

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:23 am

Water
backpack
Gps
food (walking daylight to dark)
Good boots
Brush pants, carhartt, etc (multiflora rose thorns are a pain picking out of your thighs)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”