$100.00 Bounty for Coyote

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Carol
Site Admin

$100.00 Bounty for Coyote

Unread postby Carol » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 am

North Dakota Lawmakers Want a Bounty Placed on Coyotes
2/31/2011

North Dakota lawmakers say the state's coyote population is growing, and they're proposing that hunters get a $100 bounty for shooting one.

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — North Dakota lawmakers say the state's coyote population is growing, and they're proposing that hunters get a $100 bounty for shooting one.

The bill drew opposition in the North Dakota Senate's Natural Resources Committee on Thursday. Rural Linton rancher Richard Lawler says the bounty would draw "weekend warriors'' who wouldn't have much luck bagging a coyote.

The bounties would be paid for with money taken from a state Game and Fish Department fund that pays for professional hunters who help with coyote problems. Lawler says those hunters are more effective at killing coyotes.

Bowman state Sen. Bill Bowman says increasing coyote numbers could cause a spring crisis. Bowman says deer numbers are down, and coyotes will be hunting livestock instead, at a time when cattle prices are good.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: $100.00 Bounty for Coyote

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:57 am

If they did that here I would be hunting them every night!
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:29 am

WOW do you think they also get to keep the pelt? If so talk about good money for yotes.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:22 am

Thats crazy! I wouldn't be happy about $100 a pop coming out of the fish and game fund. Especially when it's being done for the benefit of the ranchers. I have no problem with a bounty on coyotes, but that is way to many $$ and from the wrong bank account.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:53 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Thats crazy! I wouldn't be happy about $100 a pop coming out of the fish and game fund. Especially when it's being done for the benefit of the ranchers. I have no problem with a bounty on coyotes, but that is way to many $$ and from the wrong bank account.

It said it was $$ taken from an account that was already used to pay "professional" hunters to kill yotes, so I don't think it makes much difference if it's already allocated for coyote removal.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 am

lungbuster wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:Thats crazy! I wouldn't be happy about $100 a pop coming out of the fish and game fund. Especially when it's being done for the benefit of the ranchers. I have no problem with a bounty on coyotes, but that is way to many $$ and from the wrong bank account.

It said it was $$ taken from an account that was already used to pay "professional" hunters to kill yotes, so I don't think it makes much difference if it's already allocated for coyote removal.

Yes, but it said that account is still a "State Game and Fish Department fund" which is outdoorsman dollars. Just because there is a bank account specially allocating hunter monies to be used by professional hunters to help farmers still doesn't make it right IMO. Especially at $100 a pop. :shock:

If they have that many coyote's the bill to sportsman could add up in a hurry. Also, if sportsman are paying the bill it doesn't seem that unreasonable to let them have a chance to help thin the population. JMO
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
lungbuster
500 Club

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:31 am

I would think killing those yotes would not only benefit farmers but hunters in the area as well, would it not? It's a of alot better way to spend hunter $$'s than paying sharpshooters to kill deer because of CWD. (Like we do in WI.) :roll:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:37 am

lungbuster wrote:I would think killing those yotes would not only benefit farmers but hunters in the area as well, would it not? It's a of alot better way to spend hunter $$'s than paying sharpshooters to kill deer because of CWD. (Like we do in WI.) :roll:

Thats exactly what I was thinking... We pay something like $400 a deer for the state to shoot them.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:42 am

lungbuster wrote:I would think killing those yotes would not only benefit farmers but hunters in the area as well, would it not?...

I agree and I think it could be argued that the DNR has failed to do it's job managing the states wildlife so they should pay, but I think they should allow hunters to participate and I also think hunters would be thrilled to get half that price. I could be wrong, but I think they would do it cheaper and I think they should give hunters a chance to cash in first anyway.

dan wrote:... We pay something like $400 a deer for the state to shoot them.

That sucks. Was it because hunters were not willing to kill enough deer?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:03 pm

That sucks. Was it because hunters were not willing to kill enough deer?

In a lot of cases, its because they won't allow hunters to kill the deer.
Ubelievable to me is the fact that they think sharp shooters with rifles is a better idea than bow hunters or hunters in general. In my opinion, if a township won't allow hunting they should have to live with the deer.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:46 pm

dan wrote: ...In my opinion, if a township won't allow hunting they should have to live with the deer.

I agree.
lungbuster
500 Club

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:23 pm

CarolsCritterCare wrote:North Dakota Lawmakers Want a Bounty Placed on Coyotes
2/31/2011

North Dakota lawmakers say the state's coyote population is growing, and they're proposing that hunters get a $100 bounty for shooting one.

I agree and I think it could be argued that the DNR has failed to do it's job managing the states wildlife so they should pay, but I think they should allow hunters to participate and I also think hunters would be thrilled to get half that price. I could be wrong, but I think they would do it cheaper and I think they should give hunters a chance to cash in first anyway.

Deerslayer am I missing something in the text, they are wanting HUNTERS to participate, I don't get what you have a problem with in this article?
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:10 pm

I have a problem with the Senate NRC trying to stop hunters from participating. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

"The bill drew opposition in the North Dakota Senate's Natural Resources Committee..."
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 am

dan wrote:
In my opinion, if a township won't allow hunting they should have to live with the deer.

I'm with ya! StoneBank is a richy rich neighborhood by Oconomowoc. There are tons of huge bucks out there, take a spotlight one night and take a look. Since the people that live in the area will not allow any form of hunting for deer our tax dollars are used for high dollar sharp shooters to take out the deer, but yet the area is plenty rural enough to allow some bowhunting.

Stupid if you ask me. I actually know a guy that lives out that way and owns some small acreage, he always wants to bowhunt in his back yard because of the giant bucks he sees, but he's not allowed to by the local government.

Anyone here ever meet a sharpshooter or know where the state gets them? What types of rules they have to abide by? I've always wanted to talk with one of these guys............
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:31 am

I know in Stevens Point they have "sharp shooters" which are really just a group of 6 local guys who got their names on the top of a list with an area pest control company. The city gets special tags to kill as many deer as they want and they contracted the work out to a local pest control company who picked up 6 area bowhunters interested in removing some deer. Those guys get permission on any private lands with deer and decent acreage between I-39 and the WI River. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I called the pest control company and he said they were looking for an extra guy but filled the spot just about a week before I called. Next year I am going to bust my but to get on that list. Sure would be nice!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”