Why hunt deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Why do you hunt deer?

For food
20%
Hobby
19%
To spend time with family/friends
19%
To get back to your roots
9%
For solitude in nature
27%
I don't hunt deer
No votes
other answer
4%

Total votes: 139
headgear
500 Club

Re: Why hunt deer?

Unread postby headgear » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:59 pm

All of the above and a whole bunch of other reasons I can't really put into words. I can't imagine my life without hunting/fishing and the outdoors.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:25 pm

I agree actually killing a deer is last on my list of things. I am all about bowhunting and I get awesome satisfaction of getting so close to deer you can hear them breathing on those calm crisp mornings and they never have a clue you are there. I hunt because I see awesome things occur in the woods everytime out that my friends, family, employers etc will never see because they are caught up in "busy" lives. Mother nature is a beautiful thing and I take every chance to spend as much time as possible lost in it from the rest of the world. The occasional harvest in any hunting, not just deer hunting, is simply a bonus. (have to agree though I love venison, its whats for dinner!)
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:03 pm

I've been asking this question for the last 3 years in Wisconsin. :D
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:20 am

My choices were Food, Solitude, and Other.

I like to eat it, plain & simple. Solitude, after the hectic days I spend all year at work, I cherish the time where I don't have to answer questions, answer the phone, or listen to the constant rumble of everyday life. It recharges me.

Other, well I go to the woods for alot of reasons but it seems I always end up hunting deer in one form or another, with weapon or without. It's not only just matchin wits with a mature buck but with the whole woods itself. The challenge of being there without influence. Now I don't think we can ever be there totally without influence but, as little as possible. And to get better at it. To watch the woods come alive in the morning and go to rest in the evening. To observe it's day to day buisness, unaware that I'm there. To kill is my ultimate goal, but at the same time it's a bonus.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:09 pm

The anticipation of the bow season all year is what really excites me to because you never know what will happen and when the time finally comes for you when you put your lone wolf on your back and walk out you are almost nervous with butterflies in your stomach and the adrenaline rush you only get once a year...weird??? :D
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Hunting started out as something I just did. It is now something that is a part of my whole being, I love it.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:03 pm

I love figuring the bucks out, Even when I,m gonna pass on a buck I still pull back and put the pin on him.It,s a real confidence booster .Knowing you beat him on his territory.I personally ,have a ton more respect for whitetails now that I,m bowhunting.When your shooting them with a gun it just is,nt the same .
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:56 am

I picked food, roots, solitude. Most years It saves on the grocery bill. I'm a bowhunter, It's what and who I am. It's not just deer, It's whatever big game animal that's close. There's nothing better then being In the outdoors either. Been this way since I was a kid. Again, It's who I am.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Dewey wrote:To me gun hunting is more of a social hunt and bowhunting is more about enjoying the solitude.

Nothing calms me more than quiet time in the fall woods while bowhunting and I enjoy every day the same whether I see any deer or not.

+1, I look at gun hunting as the way to spend time with family and friends, bowhunting I take VERY seriously and usually prefer to be out by myself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”