A not so good bear hunting story to begin with

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

A not so good bear hunting story to begin with

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 am

I'm not sure how many years ago this was (I'm guessing 30+ years ago or so). A few years before this 30+ years ago Incident my dad and a good friend of the family met an older couple from a small town In northern Minnesota. They got to be great friends and found out that this northern Minnesota couple had once lived with In 20 miles of where we lived. After finding out that my dad bear hunted they asked my dad and his buddy if they wanted to bear hunt up where they live and dad jumped at It and said you bet. My dad and his friend had some good success bear hunting there taking a few nice bruins. I can't remember the year when they changed this but In years past you didn't have to register your baits with the MN DNR. The year they changed this you had to register them with the local game warden.

The year they changed this dad registered their baits and everything was fine. A week prior to the hunting season opening up things changed drastically. Every bait they had out (30+ baits) there was another bait with In 100 yards of theirs. The game warden they gave their bait Info too had to of gave all of that Info to a local bear guide In the area. I'm not going to say the guides name or the game wardens name but dad confronted the warden right away asking him what the Is going on? The GW acted clueless and then he went on to say this Is public land. He knew It and dad knew It that he had him on the spot but the GW wouldn't admit to It. That was the last year dad ever bear hunted In this area. Years ago there wasn't much one could do about It and probably even today there wouldn't be much a person could do about It. It's just sad that there's leechers like this all over In the hunting world today. Every year that I register my baits with the Mn DNR I think of this. I'm sure It wouldn't happen again but It's always In my head.

None the less though good things came out of this. Even though dad quit hunting In this area and found another area we kept visiting and stopping In once or twice a year on our way through. We got very close to this small, poor family from northern Mn for many years. Like I said, this family was poor. You wouldn't know It though by how they acted and such. Always a smile on their face and always willing to lend a hand to us kids when we'd go up there. I always told dad and mom I want to be like "John and Fay". That was their names. Whenever they'd kill a bear or a deer everything on that animal would be used for something. Nothing ever went to waste there. They had one milk cow, you guessed It that was where they got their milk. They did everything old fashioned there. 15 years or so ago John died. He was right around 70 years old I'd say. I haven't talked with Fay since John died but I sure would like too. Every year when I go bear hunting/baiting I pass through with In 5 miles of where they live. We hunt now about 1.5 hours north of them. Every year I stop In there on the way back and yet have I caught anyone home. They have no phone there so calling them Is out of the question. Dad talked to Fay 7 years ago and said she's doing good. I'd give allot of things to see Fay again. I really want to Introduce her to my 3 year old daughter. I know that right there would melt her heart and then some. I think of these people once or twice a week. I gotta make this happen and meet up.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: A not so good bear hunting story to begin with

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:34 am

Hope you get to catch back up with her, before she ends up passing on herself. Sounds to me like you met some really great people and you need to touch base again. Good Luck as I know when it happens you will bring a HUGE smile to her face.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:39 am

Schultzy wrote:The game warden they gave their bait Info too had to of gave all of that Info to a local bear guide In the area.

Man, that would be incredibly frustrating. Far too much of a coincidince to be anything different than your opinion.

Schultzy wrote:I really want to Introduce her to my 3 year old daughter. I know that right there would melt her heart and then some. I think of these people once or twice a week. I gotta make this happen and meet up

I wouldn't wait any longer, life is to too short. Best of luck on getting together with your old friend. 8-)
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 am

No doubt I'll make It happen this summer. It's kinda funny though, I had no Intension's of telling the story about the older couple from northern Minnesota. Once I started telling the baiting story It all kinda just came out. Glad I did It though as It just fueled the fire.

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”