Did some scouting, now i have a ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Did some scouting, now i have a ?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:46 am

The spot i scouted today was hardwoods that met up with tall tamarack and cedar trees. When you got through these cedars and tamarack it was cattails and red brush. Way out into the cattails there is a crick that i know about. But before the crick i spotted one lone tree. SO i stepped into the cattails and went in up to my hip. Seeing as how is was wet, i kept going. When i got to the tree, there was definitely deer bedding under it because of the droppings and the unusual amounts of hair. It was also wore down to the dirt. I have a perfect thicket with a small tree that will work to hunt this bed. But the problem is that it looks like multiple deer were bedding here. So could it be doe? There were no rubs in the bed from this past season but there were a few older ones from years past. There was 2 definite buck beds with rubs in them back in the cedars and tamaracks that i would have to jump to hunt this bed. But is it common for doe to all cram into a tight spot like this after going through hip deep mud and water or could it be a lone buck that is bedding here religiously?

Here are some pics i took with my phone to give a better idea..

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Did some scouting, now i have a ?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:17 am

I'm sure some one with more knowledge then me will respond. But here is my 2 cents. I think the fact that there are no rubs on those trees = doe beds. It looks like there is enough for a doe and her fawns to fit in there. However, from the second picture it looks like a classic buck bed, with the big tree in the cattails, just would have liked to see a few rubs on those smaller trees. Either way, it's a cool find!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks Black squirrel. I agree. There were rubs within 60 yards of it though. I wonder if this was a doe bed while everything was froze where they can cross the froze crick, and then a buck bed during the season? could this be possible?
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:45 am

It looks like that spot is pretty small and there doesn't have to be rubs right in a bucks bed either. Looks like it could be a buck bed to me.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:07 am

Buck beds
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm

All I know about this is:
While hunting a marsh in Missouri last season I jumped some doe groups on very small high spots in the marsh. From 3-5 does on spots maybe 5 X 5 yards. No cattails just fairly open marsh with high spots with a few small trees and brush on them.

Thats all I know for sure about this topic.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:10 am

TC it may not be multiple deer there. Could be one bedding in a different direction based on the wind. Sounds like you found a couple good spots to watch closer at a distance with binos to see who is bedding in there.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:54 am

There certainly could be some does bedding there when pressured... But it looks to me like a classic buck bedding spot. I would hunt in a position to cut off the 1st buck beds and then this one. If they are real close and your worried about burning them both in one sit, consider hunting the 1st position in a light rain or before a rain to clear your scent. Kicking deer past the second bed might not be a good idea.
It is possible the same bucks that use the back bed, also use the closer beds you found with the rubs, and maybe he shifts back when the pressure turns up. That might be another reason for lack of rubs on the island hump.
I have noticed most does don't like going thru really deep muck to bed unless they have to. Might have something to do with there fawns not being able to cross it safely for part of the year. That bed is worn like its used pretty often.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:34 am

Awesome, Thanks a lot Dan the man! 8-)
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 am

Predator...

Have you went back and checked out that bed anymore ? Just curious if you found out anymore about it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”