Craziest Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Divergent
500 Club

Re: Craziest Advice

Unread postby Divergent » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:36 pm

Throw a strip of asphalt down in the woods and paint some lines...add a few reflectors. :think:

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm

read once in a magazine years ago some guy said he set alarm clocks up in the woods night before opening day to go off within a couple minutes of each other in a line to do a sort of self drive :roll:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:29 am

Divergent wrote:Throw a strip of asphalt down in the woods and paint some lines...add a few reflectors. :think:

Isn't that the truth! :lol:
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:03 am

JoeRE wrote:
Divergent wrote:Throw a strip of asphalt down in the woods and paint some lines...add a few reflectors. :think:

Isn't that the truth! :lol:

I'm not sure if it counts as crazy or if it's worth a shot
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:49 am

23 years ago, my new neighbor told me to go with him in the woods with a gun on November 15 :shock: My first 3 years in Michigan I was afraid to enter the woods on November 15. Something about 1 million people shooting at deer running around scared me. So I tried it, been hooked ever since.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:53 pm

I think its comical, but this one anecdotal outdoorsman(he is actually a VERY accomplished bass fisher)type in our area, once when i was having a rough go said said "go take 100 pounds of corn n dump it out in front of ur stand, THEYLL COME TO THAT!!!" .......hahahahaaaa i thought....."wellllllll geeeeeez buddy, why havent i ever done that before???" Haha, not really what you meant, but sorta the same thing.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 pm

A guy once told me to go out and hunt and do everything wrong. It will cause you to be successful. This guy is the least successful guy I know for the last 50 years of deer hunting. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Stanley wrote:A guy once told me to go out and hunt and do everything wrong. It will cause you to be successful. This guy is the least successful guy I know for the last 50 years of deer hunting. :think:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe™
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Not sure if these fall into crazy advice, but looking back on my early days I feel really dumb for wasting my precious time believing alot of the crap I was told. Thanks to Dan and this site, I finally landed back on earth.

I once fell for alot of different advice from various "pros" out there. I think many of us can relate. I was once led to believe if you aint 20 feet or more up a tree during a hunt, you are gonna get busted everytime. If you aren't using scent control suits, you will get busted everytime. If you aren't shooting a certain bow or broadhead, forget about killing the deer you shoot at. If you don't hunt a 1000 acre chunk of well managed private land with several food plots, you won't see any mature bucks. The list could go on.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:55 am

Back in the 80s an old guy I knew used pine air freshener for cover scent. He would pray it all over himself. He tried to get me to use it but I never did. The smell was overwhelming. I think it was pine scent that you sprayed on an artificial Christmas tree during the holidays. He liked to walk and hunt and he always told me about all the deer he saw, I soon learned that he did see deer; a lot of deer tails.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:06 am

One tip that is similar to others. Place an empty white bucket out in an open field, the deer will be curious and walk out to investigate.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 am

oneflag wrote:Back in the 80s an old guy I knew used pine air freshener for cover scent. He would pray it all over himself. He tried to get me to use it but I never did. The smell was overwhelming. I think it was pine scent that you sprayed on an artificial Christmas tree during the holidays. He liked to walk and hunt and he always told me about all the deer he saw, I soon learned that he did see deer; a lot of deer tails.

Back then I was told to use fox pee for cover scent. Didn't see any more deer but boy did I see a lot of fox that year!! :lol:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 am

Bait pile hunting was the way to go when I first started bowhunting. Everyone in my circle did it. I'm glad it only lasted my first couple years of bowhunting. I work with a guy that is about 50 years old and has been hunting since he was a teenager. He admitted to me he doesn't know how to hunt except over bait.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:13 am

The same guy that told me he wanted to use perfume traps to kill deer in my earlier post ( he had a lot of crazy ideas) told me he never goes into the woods without eating 1st, cause he had a good buck he was just about to shoot spook when his stomach growled...

Back in the 80's that guy told me of an invention idea he thought he would get rich with. A deer / turkey hunting blind made out of mirrors so the deer would see himself and come in to confront the other deer, and so it would have surrounding natural camo no matter where you put it... A laughed at him so hard he got mad at me and dropped it... Several years later someone invented "his" blind and he called me mad...
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:22 am

Nothing too crazy but a lack of sound hunting advice for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”