GPS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

michiganbirdman

GPS

Unread postby michiganbirdman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:02 pm

What is one of the best GPS units to buy for scouting? I have a Garmin Legend but am looking up upgrade if there is something out there better. Thanks.

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: GPS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Check out Garmin's Oregon or Dakota series. Simply awesome!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:45 pm

You can use mine if you want! :lol: :mrgreen:
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 am

I have tried a few different brands, and would stick with Garmin. They are the most user friendly IMO.
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 am

Myself and most of my friends have the lowrance I Hunt and we all absolutely love them. I would suggest it to anyone. It has a large screen and bigger buttons which makes it nice when you have gloves on. One thing I can say about it is that it chews batteries quite fast. Ive been using mine for three years now and not a problem.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 am

I have the Garmin (I think Legend HCX?) It seems to work good. It would be even better if I were a techy and was comfortable downloading and plotting maps from the PC.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:05 am

I have Garmin Dakota 20 and it is fantastic, great satellite reception, excellent battery life and one of the best investments I have ever made when scouting.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 am

chadhaucke wrote:Myself and most of my friends have the lowrance

Me too, I've used it for a number of years. I have topo chips for the northern US and Canada, very nice. Also, I take the depth contour mapping chip out of my Lowrance unit on my great lakes boat and put it into my hand held unit in the winter- for ice fishing it goes in a RAM mount on the handlebar of my quad. During the summer it is a backup unit on my boat. Hunting/fishing I'm using the same handheld unit.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:44 am

Indianahunter wrote:I have Garmin Dakota 20 and it is fantastic, great satellite reception, excellent battery life and one of the best investments I have ever made when scouting.

I have the same unit brother! It is awesome isn't it! :D
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:15 am

I don't think it can beat beaten for intermediate price range, touch screen shaded contoured topo maps, waterproof. It is awesome. I did a lot of research on these things prior to the purchase and it really paid off. Hey and if we ever hunter in the same area I beam you a signal and you would know exactly where I was at : )
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Indianahunter wrote:I don't think it can beat beaten for intermediate price range, touch screen shaded contoured topo maps, waterproof. It is awesome. I did a lot of research on these things prior to the purchase and it really paid off. Hey and if we ever hunter in the same area I beam you a signal and you would know exactly where I was at : )

I know that wireless data transfer is amazing! Did you buy your topo maps or download them for fee. I downloaded mine free and they work fantastic. Are you going to get the unlimited aerial downloads for $29 a year from Garmin? I think I will for sure.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 pm

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCX. I love it ,it has a electronic compass so you don,t have to be moving for the compass to function. It also has expandable memory ,where you can download lake maps or public land boundaries
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:37 am

SNAP!!! No I paid like $100 bucks for the SD card regional topo map. Where did you get it for free? and I will have to check in to the $29 per year thing, I didn't even know Garmin was doing that.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 am

Indianahunter wrote:I know that wireless data transfer is amazing! Did you buy your topo maps or download them for fee. I downloaded mine free and they work fantastic. Are you going to get the unlimited aerial downloads for $29 a year from Garmin? I think I will for sure.

What's the easiest way of downloading? I'm not a techy and when I tinkered with it I found it to be way over my head. Did I make it more complicated than it is?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”