What's a public land trophy to you?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

What's a public land trophy to you?

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 am

Just curious what everyone's standards are on public land? For me any buck that scores over 100 inches where I hunt is a true public land trophy!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Re: What's a public land trophy to you?

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:44 am

My standards are the same public or private, 3 1/2 yr old, rack isn't as important. Here in Jersey most will score over p&y at that age. My hunting land in the U.P. is the same I look for 3 1/2 yr old or better, most bucks in the U.P. will have 190 lb bodies at that point, and about the same size rack, as here in Jersey. I'm not saying that, that is all I will shoot I'm just that is what a trophy is to me.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 am

last season i would say 2.5, this year i would say 3.5
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:33 am

Same standards all the time. My standards are kicking my but right now. Since I shot my eight pointer in Fall of 08, I've passed 5-6 bucks between 125-135. Have to be 3.5 or older. I had a hard time seeing a mature buck last year. Only saw two that were 4.5 or older, its starting to get to me. Heading to western WI Saturday morning to look for some new land to hunt.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:38 am

If I see a nice 2.5 eight or ten on the public my arrows are deffinetly lookin for the vitals. Not to many are killed with the bow where I hunt each year.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:53 am

I am looking for mature, at least 3 1/2 yr old with heavy beams, scoring 130 plus. Most public areas I hunt this takes a 4 1/2 or older.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:06 am

blackwolf wrote:I am looking for mature, at least 3 1/2 yr old with heavy beams, scoring 130 plus. Most public areas I hunt this takes a 4 1/2 or older.

I woild agree and yes Adrenalin I'm with ya man! :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am

For me it would be anything. I would love to shoot a mature buck, but I will take a smaller one to get my first with the bow. I refuse to shoot a spiker, but if it's six or bigger i'm letting loose. Sorry guys I got to start somewhere.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:57 am

I'm looking for a 3.5 year old or better on Michigan public land, in my areas of the northern lower peninsula / central and eastern UP that buck will score just over 100 inches. My two year olds in these areas score in the low nineties (these are averages, some years are better overall). In Ontario I'm looking for 130 plus on public land, with 150 plus a strong possibility.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:02 pm

Slider1005 wrote:For me it would be anything. I would love to shoot a mature buck, but I will take a smaller one to get my first with the bow. I refuse to shoot a spiker, but if it's six or bigger i'm letting loose. Sorry guys I got to start somewhere.

Slider, don't get caught up in worrying about how big your buck is or think about being embarassed by it- every buck taken with a bow is a trophy in my opinion. Take your bow and go get your buck, I will be as fired up for you as I will be for any 150 incher posted on this forum!!! ;)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:11 pm

It varies day to day for me. I like to hunt and kill deer. That's what I'm there to do. I've let some mighty big ones walk somedays and other days I'll shoot a smaller one. By smaller, I mean something that has at least eight points. I shoot what makes me happy. Sure I like the big ones, but sometimes my broadheads gotta eat.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Whatever trips my trigger that day, and I recovered.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Since I like to hunt deer by age too, I'll target a 3.5 year old or better. Sometimes in a thick marsh setup you don't get a lot of time to field judge a buck. In some cases just draw and shoot, ask questions later :) If it's getting late in the season I'll shoot a younger buck also.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 pm

I go for 130 or better as well, but have let some 130's walk. That being said...My dad is fine to shoot 100" deer or less and that is fine with me as well. I just beg him to let the dinks grow at least another year. In addition, I am blessed to have properties to hunt where 130 or better is probable. If I hunted public land I am not sure how I will go. I will probably keep my standards this season and see what I see and go from there. If you hunt public land or someplace like Michigan or Pennsylvania or New York, that may be a once in a lifetime buck where you are and I wouldn't wait my whole life for one. For me, I am enjoy the Creator as much as I enjoy the creation when I am out there, so I don't get bent out of shape or worry about filling tags. I love shooting does and am happy to help the QDM for our property and if I get a crack at a good buck, all the better. Since meeting all of you guys, I am inspired and am working harder to make that a more consistent factor. God bless!
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm looking for a 4 1/2 year old. I also would like to see 125". The score is not as important to me as the age. These standards set the bar at a height that is obtainable with hard work and a little luck. Sometimes I eat venison, sometimes I eat my tag. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”