Buck bedding tendancys...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Buck bedding tendancys...

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 am

ttt. A lot of new members the last month.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:03 am

dan wrote: Most of my sightings while shining would be during the summer between 2AM / 4AM otherwise they did not even enter the fields much even at night...

No doubt the best time to be out shining. At least twice a year, I'll hop in the car (fuel efficient), drive a couple hours to SW WI, shine, and drive back home for sun up.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 am

Bump. I love this thread! Someone mentioned bumping satellite deer. What do you do when you bump satellite deer? I was faced with this decision the other day... I was hunting a long peninsula with two small islands not far from it. I wanted to sneak out toward the end of the peninsula to cover a trail that cut through the cattails to a different section of oaks (some deer traveled on the peninsula... some hit the tip, went 40 yards, and took a short cut thru the cattails). Well I bumped some does half way to the end and they went crashing out to those islands. Is it best to find a different spot or does that location stand a chance of having a mature buck leave one of the islands?

Great Thread!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:44 am

Lockdown wrote:Bump. I love this thread! Someone mentioned bumping satellite deer. What do you do when you bump satellite deer? I was faced with this decision the other day... I was hunting a long peninsula with two small islands not far from it. I wanted to sneak out toward the end of the peninsula to cover a trail that cut through the cattails to a different section of oaks (some deer traveled on the peninsula... some hit the tip, went 40 yards, and took a short cut thru the cattails). Well I bumped some does half way to the end and they went crashing out to those islands. Is it best to find a different spot or does that location stand a chance of having a mature buck leave one of the islands?

Great Thread!

Once you got your scent in there, you might as well as set up and hunt. I have bumped satellite bucks or does thru the bucks bedding area and still shot the buck later when he got up and came right in... Im sure its spooks them a little, and I have seen them crash off with the other deer, but if you get in early enough and they don't leave, you still have a good chance.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:24 am

bump
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:14 am

dan wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Bump. I love this thread! Someone mentioned bumping satellite deer. What do you do when you bump satellite deer? I was faced with this decision the other day... I was hunting a long peninsula with two small islands not far from it. I wanted to sneak out toward the end of the peninsula to cover a trail that cut through the cattails to a different section of oaks (some deer traveled on the peninsula... some hit the tip, went 40 yards, and took a short cut thru the cattails). Well I bumped some does half way to the end and they went crashing out to those islands. Is it best to find a different spot or does that location stand a chance of having a mature buck leave one of the islands?

Great Thread!

Once you got your scent in there, you might as well as set up and hunt. I have bumped satellite bucks or does thru the bucks bedding area and still shot the buck later when he got up and came right in... Im sure its spooks them a little, and I have seen them crash off with the other deer, but if you get in early enough and they don't leave, you still have a good chance.

Completely agree.

When I bump satellite deer it only confirms to me that the primary bed is holding a more dominant deer. Guys have told stories of bumping target deer out of target beds and setup anyways only to have the buck circle back in. So anything is possible.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:04 pm

PK_ wrote:When I bump satellite deer it only confirms to me that the primary bed is holding a more dominant deer.

Good point! That never occurred to me before.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:52 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
PK_ wrote:When I bump satellite deer it only confirms to me that the primary bed is holding a more dominant deer.

There is a clip in the new swamp DVD where I set up and a small satellite buck gets up close and I say "must be someone in the main bed not letting him bed up there"... a 150 class 8 comes out later.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:28 pm

dan wrote:
KLEMZ wrote:

There is a clip in the new swamp DVD where I set up and a small satellite buck gets up close and I say "must be someone in the main bed not letting him bed up there"... a 150 class 8 comes out later.

Interesting.

The buck my daughter killed last year wasn't bedded where I assumed the primo spot was. I did see big tracks when we were walking into the spot, I checked her bucks feet after the kill, I'm sure the buck she killed didn't make the track.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:55 am

Something I've been running through my mind lately with the all the talk of the older bucks being in over looked places an staying to them selfs an them having a small area they like to bed in the most. Would u rather find that large single bed that has a great advantage to it? Or a bedding area with multiple beds which is more productive?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:59 am

For got a period. Which of the 2 is more productive? Large single well used or a bedding area with multiple beds? Wanted to make sure all understood my question! LOL!

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:08 am

TNstalker wrote:Something I've been running through my mind lately with the all the talk of the older bucks being in over looked places an staying to them selfs an them having a small area they like to bed in the most. Would u rather find that large single bed that has a great advantage to it? Or a bedding area with multiple beds which is more productive?

for me its rare to find a single well used bed that gets used often. I do find them occasionally, but its the exception not the norm... The norm is a small area, could be a 10 yard area, could be an acre or more, that has a bunch of well placed beds for differing winds and thermals, and if its a great spot, surrounded by satellite bedding. Thats where my best encounters have been.

Satellite bedding is a great thing to find... A lot of guys dislike it cause it makes it difficult to get close without bumping deer. However, satellite bedding that has some wear to it should tell you that the main bedding is getting used on a regular basis at a time frame when bucks are not tolerating each other ( stages of the rut / pre-rut)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:53 am

dan wrote:
TNstalker wrote:Something I've been running through my mind lately with the all the talk of the older bucks being in over looked places an staying to them selfs an them having a small area they like to bed in the most. Would u rather find that large single bed that has a great advantage to it? Or a bedding area with multiple beds which is more productive?

for me its rare to find a single well used bed that gets used often. I do find them occasionally, but its the exception not the norm... The norm is a small area, could be a 10 yard area, could be an acre or more, that has a bunch of well placed beds for differing winds and thermals, and if its a great spot, surrounded by satellite bedding. Thats where my best encounters have been.

Satellite bedding is a great thing to find... A lot of guys dislike it cause it makes it difficult to get close without bumping deer. However, satellite bedding that has some wear to it should tell you that the main bedding is getting used on a regular basis at a time frame when bucks are not tolerating each other ( stages of the rut / pre-rut)

Boy is this ever a common sense eye opener!!!

Thanx :clap: :clap: :clap:
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:16 am

This is a great thread! I'd Iike to just chime in on satellite bedding/primary bedding sites. I have a couple areas I hunt that are these exact set ups. I've often talked about them. I see, in these areas lots of beds, and I see these beds wind dominant. You can walk around a small tag alder thicket and see beds almost in a triangular position. I've watched from observation stands as bucks switch beds, when winds change, and I've saw young bucks being rooted out by older bucks, and watch the young bucks go to these satellite beds, and often not too far from the primary bedding or preferred mature buck bedding. I have several times sat in observation stands and have saw several bucks bedded in this area all withing a 150-200 yard range maybe smaller. All facing the same direction, wind to back. It's really helped me determine what the best bedding was and how it's being used and exited. These spots to me are slammer spots. Some guys I think mistake these for doe bedding because of how many beds they will find and write it off. Big mistake. We hit on this so often and yet it gets ran over without too much discussion. But I am constantly looking for these set ups and when I find them it's why it takes me a few seasons to fully understand them and why observations stands are critical. It feels like the topics we have been discussing are tying in perfectly lately.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”