How High Do You Hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: How High Do You Hunt?

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:29 pm

It depends on the situation but I have several bucks out of stands 10 feet or lower. Most of the time I'm around 20 feet though

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:54 am

20 ft or higher in most spots..... If I have a nice spot tucked up in the brush and of the trail Ill go as low at 10
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 am

Usually 5 lone wolf climbing sticks stretched out as far as possible.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:47 am

Bump. Ill be hunting alot this year from 6-10 feet. Most of my best spots found are in areas with small trees. Thinking about buying some good predator or asat camo for these low heights. On my private ground I hunt about 20 feet. I think in these spots the deer aren't used to being hunted so the low height should work well. Any more of you guys have experience killing good bucks low off the ground?

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:37 am

I killed three of my deer last year all under 12 ft and passed a 2.5 yr old 8 at full draw just 9ft off the ground, its all about cover and letting the terrain dictate how you watch and use the wind. Up north in the hills i hunt higher but around home in the marsh often times im low. And i like hunting low. Im not the best shot all the time and dont really like the extreme angles of being 25 ft up a tree in alot of cases i feel its unnessacary and i just dont. I kill deer every year this way as im sure alot of others do too.lone wolf alpha and 2 sticks is what i use alot in the marsh and its not uncommon to leave one at the base of the tree. Up north i use three sticks and a good thick branch or two if i need to get higher. I wear a harness if im over ten ft. I just dont care for hunting high unless the spot really calls for it.

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:09 am

I was showing a co-worker a picture and he noticed a 10 ft ladder in there - about freaked on me. "WHAT IS THAT?" LOL! Needless to say, he is in the higher the better group.

My opinion used to be that a hunter needed to be 20 feet or more up. I even had a 20 ft tripod to prove it. Fellow lease members put it in a bad spot tho' - had to burn one area or another while using it (sold it to them).

Now that I'm seeing videos and photos of guys kissing distance of the deer, it is changing my ideals. Also, as I get older and more out of shape, lower is preferable, and I use ladder stands as I find them quieter for me to get into and hunt from. A 10 ft ladder would be a lot easier to lug thru the woods a mile to a hunting spot - for sure.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:41 am

As a rule I'll get at least 20' with a rifle, but I'll get as LOW as cover will let me when bow hunting.

I've been as low as 10' and as high as 42'
bowkill00

Unread postby bowkill00 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:45 am

According to the cover,wind, and train I genually like to get pretty high. 20-30ft range. But with the bow that creates a one lung situation. But I'd rather at least be on a deer than have one wind me. Now with the 308....higher is always best.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:57 am

Yea as a few others have mentioned its all situational. I think if you are looking at it as "I always hunt X feet off the ground" you are going about it wrong. With a bow I am anywhere from 0 feet (on the ground) to 30 feet or so in a few cases. Late season gun hunting I rarely find need to climb in a tree.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:32 am

As high as ground cover and back cover allow...

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Well I gave the stuff up in 9th grade. Never hunted that way...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:00 pm

I hunt mostly pine timber, so with a climber I always thought the higher I got, my scent would blow over deer so 35-40 feet was about normal...this year with beast tactics, using the wind, and a new hang on, I'll have four sticks so I'll be anywhere from 10-25 feet.

I have killed quite a few deer getting way up there and not worrying about my wind, and all of the bucks I've killed has been within 50 yards. Guess looking back I was lucky or hunted hard enough to be in the right place at the right time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Between 15'-20'. For the areas I hunt any thing higher than that would be impractical.

Joe™
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I have killed bucks from 35 feet up and as low as 8 feet. I prefer to be around 20/25 feet but circumstances dictate the height. I killed 3 bucks last season, the first in the piney woods and rolling hills and my stand was at 24 feet. The second buck was killed in a swamp on a transition from thick to mature woods with my stand at 18 feet.Tthe last buck also in the swamp was in the water, very thick brush, and my stand was at 14 feet.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I've been sitting a lot lower since I started beast style. I killed a doe at about 22' last year and sat at 30' once but most were 6-12'

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”