Trail Camera Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Trail Camera Question

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:58 pm

In the hill country dvd Andre said that he likes to set up his camera before a hunt and then he goes to his other spot to sit. Then on his way out, he checks the camera to see if he was in the right spot. Well by doing this, aren't u kinda muddying up two spots? :|

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Trail Camera Question

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 am

To a certain extent you are, but he must feel it's worth it to know what was there. Also, just cause you put a cam there dosen't mean you capture all the action that happens there. You would have to have a cam in every single shooting lane you have at that spot to really know what was there. I don't necessarily believe you burn a stand with one use all the time anyway.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:35 am

This could also play into his bump and dump, or stacking technique also. :?: :?: :?:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:26 am

I remember that interview well... Me and 3Dog spent the weekend at Andrea's place.
He said that he will access an area from a side hill or area where the deer don't walk if possible, and shoot the camera over an obstacle like a fallen tree.
If he is real confident in a spot, he will just hunt it. But if he has a hunch, he might go in and drop a camera...
For me, I think I would rather hunt the spot once than muddy it by putting the camera there. But, I kind of feel thats what Andrea was getting at too. He slides a camera around a bit, but only if he feels he can put it in a location without the deer getting to suspicious.
Most of his cameras are out in the fields and food plots where the deer are ok with human scent. When I hunted with him, he had about 2 dozen cameras on each property and checked them daily. But he always has one or two to throw in a spot if necessary.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:08 pm

I think checking them daily can be the key to success in some situations In the summer i believe it is good to let them sit.
But during the season i would check 2 or three of ours everyday. It was an awesome feeling when i hunted a bedding area and i knew the buck was in there because of the camera.

In my particular situation, it was the pre rut. We had a specific buck that was coming into his bedding area from a specific direction. But he was only coming in this way every 3-5 days. I knew this because there we had cameras up in a hard woods where he would check some scrapes every morning before heading to the swamp to bed. One thing i noticed was that he was always in the hardwoods on the camera before daylight. There are always hunters in the hardwoods running around and leaving scent so i knew that he would never be in there during daylight. So i could check my cameras everyday. The buck expected human scent there. He felt safe because the scent was put there during daylight. So, i got one picture of him and counted two days. On the third day i set my brother up very close to his bedding area(Because my tag was filled) where i was hoping he would be in daylight. I never dared put a camera here. I figured he could sit this spot for the next couple mornings until the big boy came through.... Sure enough the very first time he sat there the 4.5 year old beast came right up and busted my brother at about 18 yards.

Moral of the story, i don't think there is anything wrong with checking your camera daily if it is in a spot that allows the human scent...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 pm

That's why it makes sense to have them away from the bedding areas where you will be hunting. I just want to know they are in my area! Your situation sounds perfect Predator. Hopefully you can show your brother how to kill that 5.5 year old BEAST this fall! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:Hopefully you can show your brother how to kill that 5.5 year old BEAST this fall! ;)

I think he knows whos turn it is at the big boy ;) I hope :shock: NOw i feel greedy :|

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”