r u a shiner?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

r u a shiner?

Total votes: 0
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

r u a shiner?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:20 am

Do you shine / spotlight for whitetail (assuming it's legal in your hunting area)? If so, is it primarily for scouting, recreation or a combination of both? What do "the masses" think of shining in your hunting area? If you get stopped by a conservation officer / warden, will he search a lot harder if he finds a spotlight in your vehicle?

Here's part of our current regulations from the Michigan DNRE:

"It is illegal to use an artificial light (including vehicle headlights) to locate wild animals at any time during November and all other days of the year between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. It is illegal to use an artificial light on a highway or in a field, woodland, wetland or forest while having in your possession or control a bow and arrow, crossbow, firearm or other device capable of shooting a projectile."

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

Spysar
500 Club

Re: r u a shiner?

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 am

I know this may annoy some people....

In my area in NY, shining and poaching go hand in hand.Now don't go crazy, I'm not accusing people who shine of being poachers. I personally wouldn't mind if shining were made illegal everywhere. It exploits a deers natural survival instinct of going nocturnal.I think deer should at least have the night time hours to go about their buisness undisturbed.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:32 am

i shine quite a bit in the fall..expecially during the rut...nothing better than to get a few guys in a truck and drive around for a few hours...after you track your buck you shot of course :)

i usually try and get out a few times during the summer to catch the bucks in velvet and use that as a scouting tool also
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 am

appreciate your candid response, Spysar. I have friends in different areas of the country that run the gamit with this... some have a local culture where it is generally thought to be a bad thing, others have it as something they were brought up with, use it for scouting and family recreation, etc.

Here in my local area of MidMichigan, if you have a spotlight in your vehicle your are "labeled" a poacher by the majority, sad to say that includes most hunters. When I was a kid, I remember being in a truck with friends that took me shining right after dark in a big woods area with no housing... strictly a recreational viewing and legal action at the time. I really enjoyed the excitement of seeing the deer, and everyone in the vehicle did too.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:52 am

Dang SB, I am wanting to make a poll to get the voting going for the contest, but, I don't have the option to make a poll!!!!!!! How do you rate???? :mrgreen:
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack ya, well, yea sorta I guess!!!!(and Dan is aware)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:04 am

Hi hn- you're not getting any help from me until you vote on my poll above (or did you already :lol: ).

I welcome all hijackers, especially nurses! :mrgreen:
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:09 am

I shine but it is mostly for entertainment for the kids and me. I also like seeing giant bucks that I would not see normally. The kids get a real kick out of holding the light and seeing the deer.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 am

Spysar wrote:I know this may annoy some people....

In my area in NY, shining and poaching go hand in hand.Now don't go crazy, I'm not accusing people who shine of being poachers. I personally wouldn't mind if shining were made illegal everywhere. It exploits a deers natural survival instinct of going nocturnal.I think deer should at least have the night time hours to go about their buisness undisturbed.

Same here in MD. Poachers use spotlights, and spotlighting or any shinning of any type is very illegal.

exp. your driving down a road and spot a big bodied deer standing in a field. You do a u-turn and turn your truck so your headlights shine the deer in the field, and 'the man' in behind you. BIG ticket and a stern talking to, as well as being on the 'possible poacher' list.

If i see a big deer, i use my truck headlights... but technically even that is still illegal.

heck, one time my SUV was open and I was talking to a cop and I had a spotlight witha red lens. obviously used for nighttime fox hunting which is legal... what do you think he assumed I was doing?

This was the 1st place Ive ever heard of shinning being legal, and it still seems weird to me... seems it would pizz alot of people off in the area, but maybe you guys are so remote no one notices?
You can't kill em on the couch
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:19 am

Brandon wrote:This was the 1st place Ive ever heard of shinning being legal, and it still seems weird to me... seems it would pizz alot of people off in the area, but maybe you guys are so remote no one notices?

There really are vast differences across Beast Nation in how we were introduced to shining, as well as how it is perceived by others. Many shine in farm country, not just big woods.

Brandon wrote:If i see a big deer, i use my truck headlights... but technically even that is still illegal.

Truck headlights are illegal here too outside of the hours / dates I posted for Michigan. Here in Mich, Conservation officers are like a box of chocolates... you never know what you'll get. I've met some that were the epitome of a professional- then there were others.... One C.O. I interacted with, an old buzzard if I do say so, made me think I was an actor in the Dukes of Hazard. He'd peal out and throw dirt from his hiding spot and race up to my truck with his lights on (I used to enjoy scaring my friends :mrgreen: ). With his hand on his gun he'd walk up and ask, "what are you doing out here?" I'd reply "driving down the road" or something like that. He yelled at me "I've got a report of shining and poaching going on around here, you have any weapons in your truck? (meanwhile my friends are crapping themselves). My response back, "I've got a Samurai Sword behind my seat, just so you know. I jump out of trees and cut deer's heads off with it... (concerned look from the CO while he considers calling for backup). Then I replied, "just kidding, I used it in a school play. The sword was taken off a Japanese officer in WWII, a family heirloom if you will." Then we'd have to get out, he'd search, on and on. Good stuff. :mrgreen:
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:36 am

thats a funny story!! :lol:

I have nothing against shinning, but personally I am happy it isnt legal where I live.. we'd have more hunters and more poachers after being aloud to look for giants all night... tresspassing would become an epidemic!

aagin, nothing aginst dan or any othe hunter who does in within the legal limits.

good topic.
You can't kill em on the couch
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 am

I dont mean to make this into a "should shining be illegal" debate, but I personally feel that the people who poach deer by using spotlights would do it whether its legal or not. Even in places where shining is illegal already, its not like that stops poachers from killing deer because its illegal to shine a light on them..just my opinion

I personally just started using shining as a scouting tool last season. Here in MN we can shine up to two hours after dark, which is better than nothing I guess.. I make sure I have no weapons or anything in the vehicle, and make sure I am completely legal when doing it, and I would even welcome someone to stop me on the road when Im doing it, just so they can see that Im not up to any fishy business.

Its too bad that poachers use spotlights and give shiners such a bad name.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:24 am

I used to shine for fun as a kid, got pulled over a few times but no harm done. Now after Marsh Bucks I really view it as a great hunting tool and try to get out in the fall. My only problem is a lot of my hunting locations are in the bigwoods so shining isn't an option in some places or I might only have a couple of years to shine an area before new growth blocks it out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:29 am

1st off, I think in most areas shining is more percieved as a poaching tool than it really is. Granted, there are probably some remote areas where you could get away with poaching with a spotlight, however, if guys are driving around with rifles and spot lights and even shooting from there vehicals and then thinking they can come back and get what they shot it just ain't happening in most areas.... I get pulled over constantly and have my vehical searched for guns when shining. If a guy is shining with a gun in the vehical its a huge fine and a poaching lable and everybody knows they will check every vehical they see shining, and not just wardens, cops too.
If you fire from that vehical the property owner will hear the shot and be right out there. I can't imagine shooting a rifle and then thinking you can have time to load a buck in your truck. Sure it happens, but pretty seldom around here.
Bows don't make noise, people "could" be hunting at night with them... Soooo, maybe they should outlaw bows?
Its kind of sad the way hunters will turn on other hunters because of there style of hunting or in this case scouting.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:34 am

Oh shining is illegal. I guess I'll have to stop poaching. :roll: doesn't make sense.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:55 am

I shine year round as a tool to keep tabs on the deer in most of my hunting areas. Some of my best areas cannot be shined because it is federal refuge land and all shining is illegal there year round.
When I was a kid my dad always took us shining and it was always lots of fun and great entertainment. Today I do the same with my wife and she really enjoys it as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”