CWD Confirmed in Minnesota!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

James
500 Club

CWD Confirmed in Minnesota!!

Unread postby James » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Sorry, this is just too big of news to be on the MN board. CWD has been confirmed in MN.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/114663574.html

Lets not sit back and wait for the DNR to announce their plan. Be sure to write in now and let them know we don't want the same plan as WI.

Full article text
A federal laboratory has confirmed a positive test for chronic wasting disease in a white-tailed deer shot by an archery hunter last November near Pine Island, Minn.

It's the first confirmed finding of CWD in a wild deer in Minnesota.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources received the confirmation late Tuesday from the National Veterinary Services Laboratory at Ames, Iowa. The result was not unexpected after two preliminary positive tests done by the University of Minnesota.

Minnesota officials had been testing deer in the Pine Island area after four elk in a captive herd tested positive for the disease in 2009. The elk herd was later destroyed.

DNR officials are conducting aerial surveys around Pine Island to identify deer concentrations so more animals can be killed and tested. Landowners are being contacted and will be given special permits to cull deer. That culling likely will begin next week, according to reports.

CWD is fatal to deer, elk and moose but not known to affect human health. The disease is found in 15 states and provinces; it has been found in Colorado and Wyoming for over 30 years and was first found in Wisconsin's wild deer herd in 2002.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: CWD Confirmed in Minnesota!!

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Not good... I figure its been there for a long time already, but lets hope the MDNR don't react like the WDNR..
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Good luck to you folks in MN. You sure don't want what we got for the cwd eradication plan :cry:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 pm

dan wrote:Not good... I figure its been there for a long time already, but lets hope the MDNR don't react like the WDNR..
I bet this stuff (CWD) Is more places then one thinks. I too hope Minnesota doesn't go Wisconsin on the deer herd.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:09 pm

dan wrote:Not good... I figure its been there for a long time already, but lets hope the MDNR don't react like the WDNR..

X2
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:55 am

Go figure! I remember driving past that huge elk farm when going to the Twin Cities. No surprise to me that it was now found in a wild deer. This isn't good news for Minnesota. And I'd say it's bad news for Iowa and Western Wisconsin also.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:06 am

Can someone update us east coas guys on what CWD is?

Is it the blue tounge dieases?

Also, what is WI's plan that everyone dislikes so much?

Thanks.
You can't kill em on the couch
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:16 am

Brandon wrote:
what is WI's plan that everyone dislikes so much?

They think if you kill every deer in the area, the CWD will go away :oops:
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:
Brandon wrote:
what is WI's plan that everyone dislikes so much?

They think if you kill every deer in the area, the CWD will go away :oops:

I see. Is it blue tounge? and how do you rid it?
You can't kill em on the couch
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:56 am

Brandon wrote:Can someone update us east coas guys on what CWD is?

Is it the blue tounge dieases?

Also, what is WI's plan that everyone dislikes so much?

Thanks.

It is not Blue tongue. It's a fatal brain disease that is passed from animal to animal through pirons that exist in the soil for a long time. I believe it can be passed from animal to animial by close contact also. Practicly impossible to get rid of once you have and infected area. It cause the animal to loose normal body functions, basically they start acting weird and die. I think it takes a while for an anmial to show symptoms and succumb to the disease. That's it in a nut shell. Anybody feel free to correct me if I sated something wrong.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:47 am

CWD is a prion that lives in the soil. Has been around for 100's of year.It may be spread between deer feeding, socializing, or not. I think it also gets spread on the feet and wheels of people who travel across the CWD contaminated soil and transfer it off their shoes, boots and tires. Out west, in sheep, it is called scapies. In Britain in cows, it is called Mad Cow Disease. In humans, it is called Cruetzfeld/Jacob disease. In deer, it is Chronic Wasting Disease. Some, if not most deer seem to be immune to it or die of something else long before symptoms of CWD are seen in them.
There is no way to eradicate it.
It is not Blue tongue--which is a hemmorhagic disease and far more deadly and contagious in deer and is typically seen in severe drought conditions most recently in Illinois 2 years ago. This disease, the DNR's do absolutely nothing about. But CWD, especially in WI, they want all deer dead in the area and alot would say, statewide.
If animals like peoples immune systems are allowed to work normally, antibodies are formed and immunity ensues. That is gonna be the best way to keep this disease in control. (and it is by no means out of control) We see more of it from time to time as we now have tests for it and more are being tested that any time in the past.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:12 am

CWD has been around forever, the reasons we are discovering it now is because we have the technology to find it. You name a state and CWD is probably there, the problem comes when the state decides how to handle it like the idiots in WI DNR.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:03 am

Also, there have been no reports of people getting it from infected meat, and it is not likely transferable. Although, I don't think I would eat the meat of a knownly infected animal :lol:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:33 am

:cry:

Good luck
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 am

It's wait and worry time in MN. I'm lucky I live and hunt far away from the new hot zone but its getting scary to think about what is going to happen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”