Good time scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Good time scouting

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Over the last week I have walked about 26 miles according to my Garmin. The first afternoon I went out there was about 2" of remaining snow and this afternoon it was 67 degrees when I left the house. I was very excited to finally put everything that I have learned from Dan in to practice and to see some of the things he spoke of in Hill Country to be exactly like he said they would be. I have not located any definite buck bedding areas but have located 5 doe bedding areas which if all esle fails will be awesome for the rut. They were in a large circle just like he showed in the video and from the position of them and following their trails I think I know what wind they are bedding in them and how to approach them. The one area where I think may be a buck bedding area is just the oddest place in the world. I know yo guys are always talking about that but it just seems too weird. It is basically not much more than a sand bar with some type of grass growing on it and a couple of scrub trees that are rubbed about eye level and a couple of indentations in the ground that looks like a deer had laid there but no hair. Behind the bed is a very steep hill, almost 90 degrees and about 20ft high ,with a cut corn field at the top. In front of him is a small feeder creek which isn't much more than a really deep ditch with about an 8ft wide stream running through it and another cut corn field on the other side of the stream. I think I will have to re-visit it later when things start to green up. Perhaps he is only bedding there when he has the cover of the crops. This year all of that should be soy beans so may not have the same results. I wish I could afford to bring Dan to Indiana. :D

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Good time scouting

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm

26 miles... Not bad.
8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:45 am

I'm on a roll with the doe bedding areas, too :roll: Checking out a lot of new territory and all, like you said a lot of potential for the rut. 26 miles is some serious ground. 8-)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 am

The coolest thing about all of those miles was not only what I learned, but it was certainly a much needed work out. It felt so good to be outside again, and it really didn't seem all that bad as I was enjoying myself. All that on 1200 acres and I haven't even covered it all yet. I remembered Dan posting about Farm country and breaking it down in a grid and covering every square inch and looking at every brush pile and piece of cover, so I that is what I have been doing. Taking my time, looking at everything. Unless you zoom way in on my GPS it looks like a solid block of lines...lol. I am really enjoying this, I think it is possibly the funnest aspect of deer hunting that I never completely took advantage of before.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:14 am

good going Indiana that's almost a marathon!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”