Territorial Hunters

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Territorial Hunters

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:12 am

Motivated wrote:I once investigated a stand in a pine tree. No ladder, just climbing the branches. Someone had placed a broadhead on one of the branches. It was a nasty move. I removed it so nobody would get hurt. It really disgusted me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

WOW was this on public land?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:27 am

Motivated wrote:I once investigated a stand in a pine tree. No ladder, just climbing the branches. Someone had placed a broadhead on one of the branches. It was a nasty move. I removed it so nobody would get hurt. It really disgusted me.

This doesn't surprise me. I've seen and heard some nastiness on private property over people hunting property lines. I almost think private land people are worse than public.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:23 am

Yep, it's public--mostly where I hunt. Ridgetop of pines, where several hunters set up. I've not hunted up there due to hunting pressure. Smarter and more productive to avoid that ridge. No reason not to hunt close by though.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 am

Hawthorne wrote:

This doesn't surprise me. I've seen and heard some nastiness on private property over people hunting property lines. [glow=red]I almost think private land people are worse than public[/glow].

I agree. Most of my bad experiences between fellow hunters have been on private not public. Not sure why. That is a big part of the reason I switched to hunting almost all public land. Guys are a little more considerate which is kinda amazing.

That broad head thing is a new one. I have seen tree steps cut half way through which is a really nasty move. I have seen a lot of sabotaging other peoples setups on private land where multiple guys got permission to hunt. I had another hunter pour diesel fuel in a ring all around my stand when I was a kid.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:19 am

JoeRE wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

This doesn't surprise me. I've seen and heard some nastiness on private property over people hunting property lines. [glow=red]I almost think private land people are worse than public[/glow].

I agree. Most of my bad experiences between fellow hunters have been on private not public. Not sure why. That is a big part of the reason I switched to hunting almost all public land. Guys are a little more considerate which is kinda amazing.

That broad head thing is a new one. I have seen tree steps cut half way through which is a really nasty move. I have seen a lot of sabotaging other peoples setups on private land where multiple guys got permission to hunt. I had another hunter pour diesel fuel in a ring all around my stand when I was a kid.

I'm sorry but that kind of crap really deserves an a$$ whuppin.

I don't like hunting around others, public or private. And if I find myself around someone, I'll move on. Back in my younger days I was harassed by family of all people. They didn't sabotage anything but were constantly trying to find where I was hunting and then move in. I finally left that farm and ain't been back.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dbltmn

Unread postby dbltmn » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:44 pm

I have two pretty miserable stories that have altered my ways forever. One happened when I was young and just decided I wanted to try bow hunting. I'm from Appleton and gun hunt in the north woods. I wanted to find something closer to town to hunt. I started driving around since at that time I didn't have internet, DNR mapping of MFL lands, or other cool tools at my disposal that we have now. I came across a big swamp near Black Creek that looked to have deer all over it, (judging by fields and shining). So after asking for permission at a few farms and being turned down I come to this house with a sign that said "Buck and Duck" club. I went up and knocked and this older woman answered the door. Shorten it up a bit she allowed 25 guys to hunt 540 acres, any hunting they wanted as there were a few fields and marsh. The cost was I think $400 or $600 which was a lot of money for me at the time. But she had one opening and let me walk the property. I took a printed map from her and walked it. I WAS DONE! I jumped and saw a few deer on my walk and saw trails through the property that were like nothing I'd ever seen before. I came back and paid her later that week..... So I started hunting it. In a ladder stand I built. I ran into a few guys at the parking lot. There was another kid bout my age 21 22 ish.... He was cool to me. NO ONE else was. Very cold right from the start. In fact after I hunted my new ladder stand a few times I came out to find it was cut into pieces and in a pile under my tree. I thought I had zeroed in on someone elses "spot" and so I bought a very heavy but more mobile climber.... I ran into a few guys and found out that they were all either related or worked together. I was one of just a couple odd men out, and obviously not welcome.... There were a few times when I was hunting an area that a guy would walk past me and shoot a shotgun, YELL at me "Hows the hunting?", or break branches and talk to himself. One time I moved off of the farm lane to let a car pass me as I had a 4x4 truck and it was wet. I got stuck coming in. They were headed out..... Gave me the finger and laughed. I had to call someone to help me from Appleton. I continued to hunt there for maybe a month. I became very bummed about the whole thing as it was the best deer hunting I had ever dreamed of, but then worst deer hunting experience of my life. I decided to just leave. They won. So Now I am 42 years old and to any a-hole that was in the gruenwald duck and buck club around 1994 I can truly say that because of how I was treated out there, I will always take the high road, offering to hunt the other side of the road, move down to the next spot, or let you have your selection. Because I will never make hunting a bad experience for another individual like these guys did to me. I learned a valuable lesson about their greed, their fears, and just how bad it can be to be an outsider to some people. I will never be that guy.

The next story happened to me just a few years ago.... I stumbled across 40 acres of MFL land surrounded by private. This was not in amazing deer country but it was in a unit that I could get a doe permit that was close enough to my cabin where I could not shoot a doe. It was only my first year of bow hunting after having quit since the bad experience I had being younger. I met the land owner and he was very nice and even walked me around the property. He showed me where the other guy had a couple ladder stands on the swamp side of the property. Said he and his son mainly gun hunted it. I thanked him and decided My girlfriend and I would try to stay on the other side of the property.... We hunted it a few times and saw deer every time. One night my girlfriend did not hunt with me. I came out of the woods on a Sunday night and the land owners were not at the cabin any more (from Milwaukee). But there was another pickup parked next to me. I immediately figured it was the other guy who hunted there and figured he was still in the woods. I thought maybe he shot something and would like some help since it was well after dark. All of a suddon the door flies open on his truck and he jums out and gets right into my face! He says "How long you planning on f-ing up this land before you move on"? I backed up a step.... Still having my climber on back and bow in hand. I could smell alcohol on him.... I tried to get my stand off my back and replied by reminding him that not only was this public but I did speak to the owner and had blessings to hunt there... He came at me again and said he didn't give a rip, that he has hunted there for 12 years and it was his spot and I should move on. About that time I notice a buddy in the truck with him. Now I'm terrified. So I back down and call it good. I explain that I want no trouble and I was just trying to check out some close by spots and if this is the way he wants it I don't need trouble. SO I get packed in a hurry and leave and He Starts to follow me right on my a$$. SO instead of going to my cabin I drive into the next small town and go into the bar. He sits across from the bar for about 2 minutes. Then he left. I had a soda and left..... The next weekend I go back there to talk to the land owner. He was not there but his wife was home. I asked her if she would have the hubby call me. She obliged and asked if I would be hunting that evening. I then gave her a little of the story and said I didn't want trouble. SHe fished the whole story out of me and she was PI$$ED! Told me the husband would call me. SO that Sunday night I get a call. I answer. IT"S DUDE! He politely asks for me. he says (nice as could be) hey its Scott from the land on XXX. Um I think I may have over reacted the other night and I just wanted to say that after I thought about it I'd like to say I'm sorry and you are welcome to hunt there....I threw a few jabs and questions at him and turns out the land owners told HIS WIFE the whole story. SHE Kicked his but and told him if he treated people like this she wouldn't let him hunt. So he down played it all to me but I began punching him with questions like "How would you feel if somebody did this to our son or daughter while they hunted one night"? And How do you think I felt when I saw you buddy in the truck and realized I was in the middle of NOWHERE with 2 drunk a-holes? He kissed my but for about 20 minutes on the phone when I finally called it even....I went back there for another hunt one day...That day the neighbor on the private land next to me saw me getting into a tree, rode his 4 wheeler over to the property line (about 100 yds away from me), lit a cigarette and yelled to me "Are ya seeing any deer"? I got down and that was the last time I ever hunted something like a 40 acre parcel.

I now stay away from fences, private, and people. I hunt for the strategy, the nature, the peace, and the serenity. No animal is worth turning into that kind of a person to me. I do this with my son. I try to show him sportsmanship, courtesy, and respect. We have had a deer cart and climber stolen off of my truck while parked on a highway. It was brand new. I hope you get good use out of it you poor soulless, egotistical, poor excuse of a human. I do not miss the money enough to let it ruin my motives for this sport. Lets face it... Venison is about the most expensive meat in this state. But worth every penny.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Wow dblmtn! I'm glad you take the high road and I respect you for it. Those are some ridiculous encounters.

I've been pretty lucky. The only thing I've had is a couple people follow me or crowd me once they figured out where I was hunting. I'm mainly mobile now and it has not happened too much since.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Wow!! Those are some crazy stories dbltmn. :shock:

You handled those much better than I would have. I have zero tolerance for crap like that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Whoa! Those are some crazy stories!

This year I keep bumping into the same guy on public.I figure he is the only other guy who has a shot at my target until gun season. Sunday he shot a doe while I was 40 yards away on the ground. He gets down and I congratulated him on a good pass through and he starts apologizing profusely for being so close to me. I told him no worries--he could not have known where I was on the ground.

While helping him track and drag I learned WAY more about him and his hunting patterns than I ever could have known. This will help me significantly. And I gained a friend who will gladly help me if needed.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:15 am

Motivated wrote:Whoa! Those are some crazy stories!

This year I keep bumping into the same guy on public.I figure he is the only other guy who has a shot at my target until gun season. Sunday he shot a doe while I was 40 yards away on the ground. He gets down and I congratulated him on a good pass through and he starts apologizing profusely for being so close to me. I told him no worries--he could not have known where I was on the ground.

While helping him track and drag I learned WAY more about him and his hunting patterns than I ever could have known. This will help me significantly. And I gained a friend who will gladly help me if needed.

Good for you Motivated, you could have got bent out of shape, some hunters would have. If that situation was handled with an attitude, you would have wrecked his day and your's as well. Good job.

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Motivated wrote:Whoa! Those are some crazy stories!

Good for you Motivated, you could have got bent out of shape, some hunters would have. If that situation was handled with an attitude, you would have wrecked his day and your's as well. Good job.

X2. Way to handle that the correct way. I did something similar this year, and it was a great experience.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:32 am

not worth it
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:45 am

Dbltmn: Hats off to you sir. I'm sorry to hear of your experience(s), but humbled to see that you are better for it and still hunting.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
dbltmn

Unread postby dbltmn » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:54 pm

The earlier encounter happened when I was really young and it kind of took my passion out of hunting, especially in any area that I figured might have other people to deal with on a regular basis. But after years of gun only hunting I just wanted to be in the woods more.

I took up bow hunting again about 6 years ago and never will look back. Theres nothing like a lone wolf on your back, and mother nature by your side.

People can suck. But I have learned to stand up for myself, but I am passive and nonconfrontational....

Its been a learning experience but I really have prospered.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12 pm

I have had two private landowners this year who have seen me walk out or seen my truck in parking area and wait till an hour or so before closing and give me the 20 gauge salute. The winds have calmed a bit my attention is peaking all is right and KABOOM KABOOM! They drink half a beer and go at it again. First guy threw in some .22 rounds (rich guy). Still see deer but just wonder if a big boy would hesitate some?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”