Help!!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Help!!

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 am

I have a problem. I hunt each year for a week during the rut on some private ground in SW WI. I've gone 7 seasons in a row now but the last 2 have been hard. I love hunting up north on public land. I love scouting year round and figuring out the deer. I love going wherever I want, whenever I want. I love hunting fresh areas each time out and not having any other hunters around. I love the BEASt style of DIY hunting so much that the last 2 years I considered not going down there and pounding the public where I grew up hunting. My Dad and brother also go on this trip with me each year and I am afraid I'll hurt their feelings or make them mad if I don't go? There are some great deer down there and I have seen and killed a couple nice ones, but I just don't get that same feeling as a hard earned DIY public land buck! I have been thinking about this a lot lately! Any suggestions? Thanks PLB...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Help!!

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:22 am

Is the land in the CWD zone were you can shoot another WI buck?

If this is the case head on down. If you only get (1) buck tag WI statewide, then maybe stick to what makes you happy.

I was kind of in the same boat.....hunted northern public my whole life and then (2) years in central WI where I shot a nice buck each year. Yes, I was happy with each deer but definatly know what you mean when it doesn't feel as that great of an accomplishment vs northern public hunts.

Do what makes you happy. I will say it was a nice change of pace.....maybe like an out of state hunt on good land every few years just to see more quality deer.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 am

We are not in the CWD zone. So that's another thing I have to save my tag all season to go down there in Nov.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 pm

What about going along just for the fun and to put some meat in the freezer like harvesting a doe or two...granted you still miss out on the rut which no one wants to do. Those northwoods bucks travel literally miles during the rut because the does are more spread out. I understand your love of the northwoods too...there's nowhere else I'd rather hunt.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:19 pm

No one can answer that question for you... Just remember that Dad and Bro might not be around for ever...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm

dan wrote:No one can answer that question for you... Just remember that Dad and Bro might not be around for ever...

Amen to that....my father is 90 years old now, we haven't hunted together in 30 years....I'd trade every buck on the wall for just one more hunt with my dad.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Why dont you invite your dad and brother up north. How about one year up north and next year to the traditional area. Or split 5 days at each site. My son and I hunt a big public area each year and I know what you mean there is no substitute for large unpressured lands.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”