Does RECOVERY effect your choice of spots?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Does RECOVERY effect your choice of spots?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Only when I'm doe hunting.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Don,t really think about the recovery .I think it,s kinda a real special part of the hunt for me.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

No. If its too bad I will go get a pack frame.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:03 am

Schultzy wrote:
Haus86 wrote:Getting them out is the easy part. I worry about it after I kill one, which is the hard part.
x2!!

x3
When better is possible, good is never good enough
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Heck.. Some of the spots I hunt are so nasty its hard to get myself back out. :lol:
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm

This topic got me thinking about a doe I shot a couple years ago. My hunting is usually hardwoods and farmland. We have about 20 acres of catails in about 2 feet of water. I usually don't hunt this end of the property due to lack of stand possibilities. I did bowser hunt near the catail marsh muck and ended up shooting a doe. Of course she made it into the catails and my tracking capabilities were put to the test big time. I ended up finding her on the other side of this pocket of catails. How do others here go about tracking in that crap? Literally I could have been 1 foot away from the deer and may have not seen her. I am looking forward to hear ofrom others on their tactics on how you go about it. I mean in a marsh that is 2000 acres isn it almost impossible? Especially if you are no getting a lot of blood. Thanks all!
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Recovery isn't really a consideration of hunting spots, but it is for what to shoot and what to let walk.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:40 pm

beddedbuck wrote:This topic got me thinking about a doe I shot a couple years ago. My hunting is usually hardwoods and farmland. We have about 20 acres of catails in about 2 feet of water. I usually don't hunt this end of the property due to lack of stand possibilities. I did bowser hunt near the catail marsh muck and ended up shooting a doe. Of course she made it into the catails and my tracking capabilities were put to the test big time. I ended up finding her on the other side of this pocket of catails. How do others here go about tracking in that crap? Literally I could have been 1 foot away from the deer and may have not seen her. I am looking forward to hear ofrom others on their tactics on how you go about it. I mean in a marsh that is 2000 acres isn it almost impossible? Especially if you are no getting a lot of blood. Thanks all!

Tracking in cattails is pretty hard if there is not much blood but I still think it is easier than tracking in a wide open woods. The cattails are usually very thick and if there is any blood even a small amount it will collect on them pretty good just from brushing against the deer. Sometimes you will have to look up high on the tips because the deer seem to leap up and over cattails instead of just pushing straight through them when they run off after being hit. I actually shot a deer one year and it started raining very heavy shortly after. I was worried about the blood washing away but the dry cattails soaked up the blood and the rain did not wash any off. As a matter of fact I could still see the blood a few weeks later.
I hunt in a huge cattail marsh killing many deer there and so far I have not had a really bad tracking job. A buck I shot a few years ago was probably the easiest. I double lunged him and the cattails were painted red for 100 yards on both sides of the trail and when I found him all that was sticking up in 3 feet of water was his left antler the rest was under water. That's when the fun part began.....THE RECOVERY!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 pm

dan wrote:Heck.. Some of the spots I hunt are so nasty its hard to get myself back out. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. Usually I get the bright idea to try a different way out of the marsh as a shortcut and end up on a floating bog. That's when I get worried because I don't know how much water is underneath. When you walk and the cattails ahead of you are moving up and down like a wave that's not good. :shock: I have heard of people breaking through over their head but luckily never experienced that.
That is the only reason if I shoot a deer in some of my nastiest spots it has to be a slob and everything else walks.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 am

good topic. it doesnt effect my hunting, but id be lieing if i didnt think about what that deer is going to do after the shot. its usually make a b-line straight down hill . thosedeer always try to get as far down those bluffs as possible it seems. ive had some gut busting drags up the bluffs, but thats ok by me.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 am

I deal with it when I get one but I am prepared ahead of time. I have plastic tarp and sled and backpack in case I have to quarter and get out of a tangled mess.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:20 am

I've had to carry 'em out on my shoulders b4. The deer was wearing more orange than I and I was still nervous. I've never had issues tracking deer in cattails.
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

On a big buck I don't think about it one bit what so ever but I'm not going to kill myself over a slick head either. When the going gets rough I try to think "If only every day I could drag a big buck out of the woods" Helps me put a little extra pep in my step :D
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:27 am

right on 3dog.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:28 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:Heck.. Some of the spots I hunt are so nasty its hard to get myself back out. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. Usually I get the bright idea to try a different way out of the marsh as a shortcut and end up on a floating bog. That's when I get worried because I don't know how much water is underneath. When you walk and the cattails ahead of you are moving up and down like a wave that's not good. :shock: I have heard of people breaking through over their head but luckily never experienced that.
That is the only reason if I shoot a deer in some of my nastiest spots it has to be a slob and everything else walks.

I can't find many large catail swamps in my area so just about everything I hunt is floating bog. Every step seems to be a new adventure, you know a fall through that stuff is coming, you just don't know when. The worst I have gotten it so far was up to my waste but I am hoping my stand/pack and bow will be enough to keep me out of a deep dive.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”