More of a deer management question-what about minerals?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

More of a deer management question-what about minerals?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Everywhere you go there's a lot of talk about food plots but the world of minerals seems kind of hidden. Guys talk about trophy rock this and mega rack that but what is in these mineral licks and do they work? After the thread in the deer hunting section bashing on Andre I was wondering what the true story is behind using mineral licks to grow larger racks in the deer herd? I have herd of this but don't know the details and wondering what is involved with the mineral supplements and a guy making his own. Thanks to all for any provided help. Would love to give some of those scary little unicorn bucks on our private land a boost!

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: More of a deer management question-what about minerals?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 pm

I have heard and seen good things about Lucky Buck mineral, go to there web site and check it out lucky-buck.com ;)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 am

I have read articles from well-known biologists that refute the idea that they (minerals) increase antler size with any efficiency and yet the producers swear by them. I am divided here, since I do believe that they must "enhance" a mineral deprived diet in areas where soils are deficient, but in areas where the deer have very fertile soils you could see how the bulk of minerals would be obtained through natural diet/food plots. In states where their use is permitted, I would rely on them as a "camera station" to hang a trail camera over to "take inventory", more so than an antler enhancer. I have effectively accomplished this with the 5 lb red-mineral blocks you purchase for $2.49 at the co-op. You can pack a couple on your backpack and hike back in to deploy them easily, vs. a 50 lb bag or block. besides, they will be totally gone due to rain/use by mid-August when they cease using them. Put them out now in funnels between the feeding and bedding areas and they will start using them, so that come June/July they will be fully established to monitor (be sure to check you state/local game laws first).

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:38 am

trophy rock, lucky buck, and products like that are a waste of hard earned $$$

I buy cattle trace minerals and stock salt and mix my own 1:1 ratio at a fraction of the cost

I run this in front of trails cams all summer, then pull cams and remove all minerals a month before the season opens
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:25 am

I am not sold on them either and the guys over on QDMA say its all BS too. I also use the cattle blocks from the Ag section at Fleet farm and other similar stores. Figure I've spent 8 bucks on worse things before. The deer seem to use them. I've put out 3 of them on our land in the last 5-6yrs and at every spot the blocks are obviously gone by now but there are large holes in the ground where the deer continue to dig. What is weird is that I've never actually seen them using the blocks though.

Also we hunt in the land of overgrown popple trees in northern wi. The local "marshes" are tiny potholes of lowland area and the nearest agriculture is over 15 miles away. I do believe a mineral supplement would help in the growth of the racks of deer but all the professionals claim differently.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 am

I don't know if they help or not, but like others have said they work well for inventory in spring and summer, because they get hit pretty good at the time of year. I think they crave the salt in those mixes. I liken it to a multi vitaman, who knows if they do any good, but I don't think they hurt either.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:28 am

alot of times if you put a mineral block or salt block out..the next year to two there will be a big hole in the ground where the deer are eating the soil because the salt/mineral got mixed into the ground
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:34 am

huntinfool14 wrote:alot of times if you put a mineral block or salt block out..the next year to two there will be a big hole in the ground where the deer are eating the soil because
the salt/mineral got mixed into the ground

Right and that's what we see a lot of but I have hunted near them and never actually seen a deer go in there and eat/lick the soil.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 am

I have read alot of research, and came to the conclusion that the minerals will not help antlers grow. The deer however, need sodium. The reason they need the sodium is because all summer, they are eating green foliage, which is high in potassium, and without the extra sodium, their internal sodium/potassium balance gets all screwed up. I too used to make a homemade mix with dicalcium phosphate, trace minerals, and stock salt, but last year decided it wasnt doing anything more than providing deer with salt. Because of this, I experimented with a couple different types. I found that salt blocks dont work near as well as loose salt, and the cheapest form of loose salt I could find was water softener salt. Water softener salt is actually some of the purest salt I have found as well. I dig a small hole about 6" deep and a couple feet in diameter, and then mix the salt back in with the dirt, and they tear it up!

IMO, trophy rock is a very overpriced chuck of salt. If you look at the ingredients, trophy rock is like 95% salt..and they charge $20 for the thing!
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 am

you hit the nail on the head

NaCl (salt) is what they need in the summer! use the stock salt sold at rural king.

that is by far the main ingredient in my summer mineral mixes

Just be careful with the water softner salt, many contain harmful cleaners-- you need pure NaCl

cornfedkiller wrote:.... The deer however, need sodium. The reason they need the sodium is because all summer, they are eating green foliage, which is high in potassium, and without the extra sodium, their internal sodium/potassium balance gets all screwed up. I too used to make a homemade mix with dicalcium phosphate, trace minerals, and stock salt, but last year decided it wasnt doing anything more than providing deer with salt. Because of this, I experimented with a couple different types. I found that salt blocks dont work near as well as loose salt, and the cheapest form of loose salt I could find was water softener salt. Water softener salt is actually some of the purest salt I have found as well. I dig a small hole about 6" deep and a couple feet in diameter, and then mix the salt back in with the dirt, and they tear it up!

IMO, trophy rock is a very overpriced chuck of salt. If you look at the ingredients, trophy rock is like 95% salt..and they charge $20 for the thing!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 am

76chevy wrote:Just be careful with the water softner salt, many contain harmful cleaners-- you need pure NaCl

Correct..You need to be careful when buying softener salt. Make sure it doesnt have any rust remover or anything in it. Look at the ingredients and make sure its pretty much pure salt.

I used the morton white crystal solar salt in the blue bag, as well as the white crystal rock salt in the white bag. Both are 99%+ NaCl.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 am

I try a variety of mixes, pure salt, deer cocaine, black magic, local coop mineral, cow blocks, and trophy rock. I have been putting multiple types near each other and I have taken more big buck pics on trophy rock compared to all others.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 am

it was said above

the trophy rock is a very overpriced chuck of salt. If you look at the ingredients, trophy rock is like 95% salt..and they charge $20 for the thing!

:D :D

Mike wrote:I try a variety of mixes, pure salt, deer cocaine, black magic, local coop mineral, cow blocks, and trophy rock. I have been putting multiple types near each other and I have taken more big buck pics on trophy rock compared to all others.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:16 am

I'm saying I try everything and it appears to draw more bucks in, I understand what its made of but I don't care about ingredients or price over attractiveness. It not a fact, just my experiences from last year, which surprised me actually, because of the similarities in ingredients.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Mike wrote:I'm saying I try everything and it appears to draw more bucks in, I understand what its made of but I don't care about ingredients or price over attractiveness. It not a fact, just my experiences from last year, which surprised me actually, because of the similarities in ingredients.

I have heard of people doing the same tests as you and having similar results. The only thing I can think of is that maybe because it looks more natural, deer are more attracted to it? Thats the only thing that would make any sense since all else is basically equal (people told me the rock was preferred over those brown mineral blocks as well, which has the same mineral makeup as the rock)

The other thing is that you are putting all those items near each other, the deer come in, and go to the rock, but what if the rock was left out of the equation..I would assume the deer would still come to the spot, but would choose something else to get their salt. By that theory, Im guessing Im getting just as many pics with my salt as I would with the rock. I just cant see spending $20 on some salt to put out, especially when I like to have 5 or 6 mineral sites on my property. For that price, I can put in a couple food plots, which I guarantee do more for herd health than mineral supplements.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”