Get Out... Buck and Bear

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Get Out... Buck and Bear

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:54 am

This was my first cart that I made from EMT tubing and a couple of mountain bike tires. The big mountain bike tires worked great and it doubled as a ramp to help get the deer into the bed of the truck. I gave lots of free rides on this cart but I had to get something more compact when I upgraded my truck.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 am

Getting to be that time of the year again, thank goodness!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:50 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Trophy sled. It rolls up into a bag, has cinch straps on top, it will not roll over or flip on you, also protects the cape. Still not easy, but it does help.

He looks cozy and warm in his Linus blanky...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
HighNtree

Unread postby HighNtree » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:12 pm

I like those shoulder harnesses with a D-ring on the back. I tie the rope to the deer's head and feet and then lean forward and start walking.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:02 pm

HighNtree wrote:I like those shoulder harnesses with a D-ring on the back. I tie the rope to the deer's head and feet and then lean forward and start walking.

If you have any pics of the one you use A good visual goes a long way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Trophy sled. It rolls up into a bag, has cinch straps on top, it will not roll over or flip on you, also protects the cape. Still not easy, but it does help.

He looks cozy and warm in his Linus blanky...

:lol:

Not my pic, but the buck looks remarkably similar to the first buck I dragged out with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Metz8
Facebook: Chase Metz

Unread postby Metz8 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:40 pm

http://youtu.be/FntqOrMKjQ4 If legal in your state this is the way to get an animal out the woods... I do deer and hogs like this no problem... One trip into the woods with all my gear (lock on limit, , weapon, climbing method and book sack )and if I kill I quarter up and pack out. One trip in and one trip out... Check it out!

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntqOrMKjQ4&feature=youtu.be[/bbvideo]
grangger

Unread postby grangger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:44 am

Metz8 wrote:http://youtu.be/FntqOrMKjQ4 If legal in your state this is the way to get an animal out the woods... I do deer and hogs like this no problem... One trip into the woods with all my gear (lock on limit, , weapon, climbing method and book sack )and if I kill I quarter up and pack out. One trip in and one trip out... Check it out!

Thanks for posting that video! It only took him 20 minutes to Quarter that deer.
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Wait for snow. They slide out easier that way! :)
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:02 am

I can't remember the thread to go back and look, but did anyone confirm whether we can fully quarter a deer in WI if you register via phone from the field this year? I recall that point being raised with phone in registration, but never saw an answer. Would seem like you could fully debone and cape in the field if you wanted to the way the reg is written.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:29 am

Kraftd wrote:I can't remember the thread to go back and look, but did anyone confirm whether we can fully quarter a deer in WI if you register via phone from the field this year? I recall that point being raised with phone in registration, but never saw an answer. Would seem like you could fully debone and cape in the field if you wanted to the way the reg is written.

No idea. I posted that question but nobody had an answer. I assume once registered you can do what you want as long as everything minus the guts are removed from the field. I learned to never assume so figure I better contact the DNR to find out for sure.

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:30 am

grangger wrote:
Metz8 wrote:http://youtu.be/FntqOrMKjQ4 If legal in your state this is the way to get an animal out the woods... I do deer and hogs like this no problem... One trip into the woods with all my gear (lock on limit, , weapon, climbing method and book sack )and if I kill I quarter up and pack out. One trip in and one trip out... Check it out!

Thanks for posting that video! It only took him 20 minutes to Quarter that deer.

Two thumbs up for this video. Thanks for posting. Legal here in Ontario. ;)

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Dewey wrote:
Kraftd wrote:I can't remember the thread to go back and look, but did anyone confirm whether we can fully quarter a deer in WI if you register via phone from the field this year? I recall that point being raised with phone in registration, but never saw an answer. Would seem like you could fully debone and cape in the field if you wanted to the way the reg is written.

No idea. I posted that question but nobody had an answer. I assume once registered you can do what you want as long as everything minus the guts are removed from the field. I learned to never assume so figure I better contact the DNR to find out for sure.

If you find out anything for sure and can throw it up here, I[m sure I won't be the only one who appreciates it. I'm going to try and make a call tomorrow too.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Just read through an e-chat they did on the new system on the DNR site and no mention other than a vague reference to butchering deer in warm weather. Still digging....
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:34 pm

That was quick, sent an e-mail to the general contact and got this back. In the end, like Dewey mentioned, you still appear to have to take the bones and hide out, so not sure if it really saves much time and effort, though should be much easier to break down to get into a pack I suppose. Kind of an odd deal not to be able to leave the bones and hide if you ask me.

Hi Dave-

Thanks for writing. The deer could be broken down into no more than 5 pieces prior to registration, but if you register the deer while you are in the field you could break it down further. However, all pieces of the deer, except the entrails, will still need to be removed from the field. As you indicated, the tag with the confirmation number will need to stay with the deer to show that it has been legally registered.

Have a good day.

Thank you,
Meaghan C.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”