Alpha and Sticks, Treesaddle, or Assassin?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Alpha and Sticks, Treesaddle, or Assassin?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 pm

The saddle really is a to each his own product. I have two of them, in fact I am sending the neoprene one for Big-Daddy YO-YO to try and see if he like them before he buys one himself. The weight and portability are awesome with them, but you have to get used to them, after that they are great. Most guys (and understandably so) Don't want a product they have to adapt to. One day I will buy an assault, I think for a smaller guy such as myself they would be the ticket. You can't beat carrying a pound and half and a set of Lone Wolf Sticks for weight though. If you sit in a saddle and it is not comfortable then there is no way you will be confident and that is the breaker in any product.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 am

I purchased an assassin a couple years ago. I thougtht it was unique and I could finally hunt in some of those trees that I thought I could not before. The comfort is soso. I shot my first buck out of it last season, which was cool. I got a new alpha assault that I look forward to using this season...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:14 am

venisonassassin wrote:I purchased an assassin a couple years ago. I thougtht it was unique and I could finally hunt in some of those trees that I thought I could not before. The comfort is soso. I shot my first buck out of it last season, which was cool. I got a new alpha assault that I look forward to using this season...

I think you're really going to like that Assault. ;)
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:44 am

I've been using lone wolf products for years, I have a couple of the old assault stlyles and an old climber. I hesitated to buy a new one because I have several already. I'm glad I did, I can now strap my climbing sticks snugly to the stand and start trekin... it's pretty sweet.

BTW, singing bridge, thanks for the welcome...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:03 pm

I mostly use the Alpha and 2 to 5 sticks ( depending on where I am hunting )
The assault weight difference is not enough for me to loose the foot space.
The cables are pretty tight on your legs and shooting behind the tree suffers.
I am lucky, in that having worked a little with Andrea helping him with L/W products I have really gotten to test the products... I am a dealer, and can get you any L/W product you want shipped to your door.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Here is that pic.
marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:37 am

I use a saddle as well. To get up the tree I use the lone wolf sticks. It's fast,quiet and easy, kind of. Last year at the WI Deer and Turkey show, John Eberhart gave me a few tips on how to make some modifications to the tree attachment. It does take some getting use to. I almost gave up on it, but took a summer to practice setting it up and shooting from all kinds of angles and postions. You are attached to the tree the whole time from ground up, so it's very safe. I preffer to hunt out of it now, especially on public land where the walk is long and hard. On Private land where I can use Screw in tree steps, I usually set the tree up during my spring scouting and just leave the steps in the tree. I can be up the tree and settled in in less than 5 minutes. Public land I also find trees in spring and get up in them to see if they will work, the put them in the gps and mark a trail if necessary. I have 20+ sets for the saddle. It is the ultimate in portability. I used to have the Neoprene one, but sold it on Ebay, because I would sweat in it early season. Now I have the mesh one, it breathes much better and it's lighter, less than 5 lbs.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:48 am

Anyone use the Treehopper bolts?
You drill the tree and they slide right out when you leave, slide right in when you come back.

http://www.treehopperllc.com/catalog/1- ... l-bit.html

marty
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm

I have the Treehopper Bolts but don't use them much....usually use my LW sticks instead. They are a great idea, but we can't use them on public land.
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Alpha and Sticks all the way! :D :D :D
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 am

Alpha and sticks. The Assaults platform is too small and would make me very uncomfortable high up in the tree.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:25 am

I have the Assault w/ LW sticks, but am using Ameristep strap on steps more and more these days. I normally carry a backpack along, so it's easy to throw in the straps and bungee it to my stand. This set up is under 20 lbs. and is less bulky than the stand and sticks. The straps work on any tree the sticks would and in some cases work better than the sticks would, since they are a single step. And I can position them EXACTLY where I want each step to be for that particular tree. Nine steps work perfectly for me, but I have long legs and can get away with a pretty big step. When I do use the LW sticks, I always carry a couple of Ameristeps just in case.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am

Zap, I kind of "borrowed" the tree bolts Idea. I buy 10 foot 5/8" rebar and cut it into 7" pieces. Then, take my milwukee cordless 24V drill and a 3/4" augur bit and drill the holes in the tree on a slight upward angle, where you want the step. Plop the rebar in the hole, and your good to go.(You do need a pretty powerful drill with a good battery.) They work on the same concept as the tree hopper bolts. It's alot cheaper then buying all those tree steps.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 am

All 30 of my treehopper bolts were stolen out of my truck, I may try that.

marty
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 am

Zap, that sucks.... I think the tree bolts are 3/8" of memory serves me correct. You may be able to use smaller rebar, I also grind the sharp edges of the rebar after cutting it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”