Bedding in the sun...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

Bedding in the sun...

Unread postby woody-san » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:44 am

I'm sure we've all noticed that when it's really cold out, if it's a sunny day and you get in the sun, it's pretty tolerable. Though still cold, you're not shivering and counting the minutes until you can get back to the truck. With that in mind...do you guys think or have you ever noticed that a deer could bed on a Southward facing slope (since the sun moves from east to west in the southern sky) to take advantage of the sun's warmth even when the prevailing wind doesn't put them on the leeward side of the hill? I figured with the foliage being down and snow being on the ground, they could use their sight as their main defense mechanism and sacrifice the advantage they have from being on a leeward hill.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bedding in the sun...

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:14 am

Yes, I have noticed that. A lot of the bedding seems to change in winter and extreme cold. I still feel a lot of the mature bucks will still bed safe over warm though.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 am

I was scouting yesterday behind local horse farm and came across a south facing slope. I was surprised to see that out in the open of a clear cut section of woods were a few Doe beds in the snow. The beds were at the bottom of a big oak with some bushy grass in plain sight. I believe this will be a meat market spot for me @ the beginning of the season and then save it for the rut. This is going to be a little honey hole come fall!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 am

South facing slopes are great this time of year. There is a south facing bluff on a farm I hunt that deer bed on exclusively in Winter. I will be hunting it this week. Hopefully I get lucky. "Lynchpin" just shot a nice buck on this bluff a few days ago. He posted his hunt in the contest thread. He had been watching many bucks between 130-150" using the south facing bluff to bed regardless of wind.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:07 pm

We have now to the end of march to find beds and things of that sort, who will be starting soon?
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:59 pm

This weekend is our muzzleloader season and then we still have bow open until the end of the month, so hopefully I can ambush some deer trying to stay warm. It's going to be in the teens in the AM this weekend, I know that's shorts weather in WI/MN, but here it's considered quite brisk.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”