Wi Cross Bow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sumac

Wi Cross Bow

Unread postby sumac » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:46 am

There still at it and there not going to stop until anyone and everyone can use a cross bow while bow hunting. The JS has an online survey, for what it's worth you can vote here.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112338454.html

PLB
500 Club

Re: Wi Cross Bow

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:20 am

I voted but I really don't see any way of stoppimg it! You watch any hunting videos or turn the pages of all the major magazines and they are everywhere! Some magazines even have special sections dedicated to crossbows. Just like the baiting issue, they are coming eventually and likely here to stay! My main with them is they don't require any real practice or muscle control to use. As far as being a superior efficient weapon to a compound bow, they simply are not!! If its a way to recruit more women and younger hunters, I guess that ain't so bad? I just really have a hard time with a very physically able man, woman, or kid using one if they have no limitations to using a real BOW! And the debate continues............
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:31 am

Not a big deal. Xbows take less skill for sure like PLB said they might introduce more people to the sport. We as hunters have more important issues to deal with. My guess is that the majority of Xbow users aren't going to hunt the same areas that us "beastly hunters" spend most of our time.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:49 am

Due to a snowmobile crash last winter, I am limited to hunting with a xbow now. I can tell you this from my point of view; xbow are a real pain in the but for my style hunting!!!! Try to put a climbing stand on your back with all your equipment and then add a crossbow into the mix :oops: Try to reload your xbow while 20 feet up in a stand. I could go on and on with things that are not all that great about using a xbow. If I had my way I would be hunting with a compound bow any day before a xbow. Then when the hunting day comes to an end you must fire the xbow to unload it, in the dark it really isn't a safe thing to do. Weather they change the law or not people will find that using a xbow still will not put a mature buck in front of them. I voted but not the way you would think.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:56 am

When I was about 18 I bought a crossbow because I thought they were cool. I was very dissapointed. The only advantage a crossbow user has is not having to pull the bow back. I get more range out of my compound and more accuracy.
I don't think they should be automatically outlawed. I used to think they should have there own season, but we have too many seasons now the way it is with all the extra gun seasons.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:07 am

dan wrote:When I was about 18 I bought a crossbow because I thought they were cool. I was very dissapointed. The only advantage a crossbow user has is not having to pull the bow back. I get more range out of my compound and more accuracy.
I don't think they should be automatically outlawed. I used to think they should have there own season, but we have too many seasons now the way it is with all the extra gun seasons.

I agree! They are not this great weapon people percieve them as!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
upssmann

Unread postby upssmann » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:39 am

The WBH will never let this happen they are the main reason why it hasnt been passed in wis the dnr is not going to bite the hand that feeds them, the WBH has alot of say with what goes on with deer hunting in wis!!!!!! The WBH has been against this ever since this was brought up years ago, I personaly dont see this ever being a crossbow state IMO...... Futher more u think there is hunting pressure during the gun season then just think about all those none bowhunters that dont want to put the time and effort in to shoot and scout like bowhunters do, u will see more people in the woods, I take pride in being a bowhunter knowing what it all takes and the days I spend at the range shooting and perfecting my skills, not just looking down a scope and shooting a deer with a crossbow, crossbows have there place in the woods but only for handicap and elderly hunters othan than that if it isnt broke why fix it ????????
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:56 am

I think the crossbow tech. has been improved a alot since we were 18(25 years for me).As has the compound bow,I wouldnt want to go back to shooting my old bear whitetail hunter with no letoff.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:59 am

I like the law the way it is right now..................

Crossbows are not legal to use except by disabled hunters issued a Class A, B, or Crossbow permit; resident hunters 65 years of age or older issued a valid archery hunting license.

The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is the age limit lowered to maybe 55 years of age.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:25 am

For some reason this topic always draws controversy. Sometimes I think the Antis are behind it to divide us hunters.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
TreeRat

Unread postby TreeRat » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Well this might be my 5th post and now I need to know if this site is against hunters that use Crossbow. I starter hunting when I was 12 and had fun using shotgun for years. Around 16 i got a hand me down bow and started practicing at 17 I went straight archery hunting only and never turn back. I shoot my first Archery at 19 a small buck but that was the best day of hunting I ever had. My life got real busy around 23 and then the kids started popping up I lost my land and my job and family took over so hunting took a back seat. About 2005 life was calming down and a buddy bought some land. At that time Virginia made crossbow Legal for everyone. I could have just picked up the shotgun but I wanted to stay with the Archery approach and given the time off and cost of new bows and went Crossbow. its still does take some time to learn to shoot but it did get me back in the game.

It get my blood pressure up when I hear others down a way I choose to hunt and say thing like Crossbow hunter dont take the time to scout like to Bow hunter do.
( "Futher more u think there is hunting pressure during the gun season then just think about all those none bowhunters that dont want to put the time and effort in to shoot and scout like bowhunters do, u will see more people in the woods, I take pride in being a bowhunter knowing what it all takes and the days I spend at the range shooting and perfecting my skills, not just looking down a scope and shooting a deer with a crossbow")

I hunt crossbow full season from spring Turkey to the end of gun season. I practice just as much as any bow hunter and more. I do plenty of hours in the woods scouting you cant hunt the woods i go in without doing that.You could say the same for any style of hunting a new hunter just picks a weapon and goes in the woods to try and get a kill Gun,blackpowder,Bow/Crossbow.

Someday I will get back in with a bow right now my kid is in to using a Crossbow and when my son wants to move on to Bow that will be the time to ADD that to the game. I do have say it is a lot harder then you think to bring a crossbow in the woods then it is for a Bow.

So as a proud Crossbow hunter Please let me know if this site will look down on me so I dont waste your time and mine I can move on.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm with dewey, the rule the way it is makes the most sense, the only people that want to change the rules are crossbow interest groups....... Like the manufacturers.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:32 pm

I would like to add that if it is legal where you hunt i respect everyones decision to use what they like to harvest game.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:34 pm

DropTyne wrote:I would like to add that if it is legal where you hunt i respect everyones decision to use what they like to harvest game.

X2
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Gardner Swamp wrote:
DropTyne wrote:I would like to add that if it is legal where you hunt i respect everyones decision to use what they like to harvest game.

X2

X3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”