DEER BED PICS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: DEER BED PICS

Unread postby daveynewman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:36 pm

This has to be one of the best threads I came across so far

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mhill

Unread postby mhill » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Is this a deer bed? I scouted a finger the other day and was following a few sets of tracks on a run and it brought me to what looks to be a bed. A single set of tracks walked up the hill to this spot and had 2-3 sets of tracks leaving this spot in another direction.

I did not find any hair in what looks to be a bed but the leaves in the dark spot were broken and pushed down while the leaves on the outside of this area where not broken and had some spring to them. Could this be a dormant bed? There were No rubs in the immediate area but i did find 2 rub line on top of the hill behind this finger one went right through a saddle.

Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 am

Is this a deer bed? I scouted a finger the other day and was following a few sets of tracks on a run and it brought me to what looks to be a bed. A single set of tracks walked up the hill to this spot and had 2-3 sets of tracks leaving this spot in another direction.

I did not find any hair in what looks to be a bed but the leaves in the dark spot were broken and pushed down while the leaves on the outside of this area where not broken and had some spring to them. Could this be a dormant bed? There were No rubs in the immediate area but i did find 2 rub line on top of the hill behind this finger one went right through a saddle.

Hard to tell from the pic, but based on your description, yes its a bed... By itself it don't look like much. Hopefully there are more in the area.
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:12 am

dan wrote:
Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 am

Hard to tell from the pic, but based on your description, yes its a bed... By itself it don't look like much. Hopefully there are more in the area.

There was another one about 70 yards from this bed. It was on the other side of the finger I didnt get a good picture out of that one either but, it looked similar.
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:34 am

Went to check the trail cam today and not much. A few does and little fawns and one buck . Oh, and a turkey. I decided this was not good enough so I went to a remote area that I plan to hunt this fall. It is a hardwood ridge going in a swamp with cattails and dogwood. Looking around I was surprised at the heavy deer trails coming form the marsh to the peninsula of the hardwoods. I was also surprised when I saw what am pretty sure is a buck bed. The buck bed was not there this spring. I imagine there are beds deer use in the summer only. It pooped right in it's own bed and have heard of bucks doing that from someone on this board. It is butted up behind a bush and a tree. The only reason a buck would bed there is on an east wind ,, I think. It sits about 4' higher than the cattails. Here is a pic. Seems like a buck bed but only a seasonal one?? Maybe the skeeters are so bad in the marsh it decided to go up to the hardwoods where it is a little less skeeters and flies. Horse flies were bad. . . And now that I think of it,, maybe it is a young buck that got kicked out by mom a few months ago and has no established home yet. .Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:25 am

So I've been trying to find beds in hill country. It's been tough only finding one for sure buck bed which was a small buck by the size, and I did find 2-3 areas with doe beds. I did find one bed the other day on a point but it was further down the point than what I thought a buck would bed, and again wasn't huge...maybe small buck big doe...no rubs around. It was hard to see but I did find hair. So how do you know for sure if some areas are beds? I've seen grassy areas with spots where the grass was much much lower than other areas but no hair. So is hair the biggest indicator?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:11 pm

I haven't seen lots of beds but hair is always a dead give away.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:14 am

checkerfred wrote:So I've been trying to find beds in hill country. It's been tough only finding one for sure buck bed which was a small buck by the size, and I did find 2-3 areas with doe beds. I did find one bed the other day on a point but it was further down the point than what I thought a buck would bed, and again wasn't huge...maybe small buck big doe...no rubs around. It was hard to see but I did find hair. So how do you know for sure if some areas are beds? I've seen grassy areas with spots where the grass was much much lower than other areas but no hair. So is hair the biggest indicator?

at the scouting workshop and during some private scouting trips for guys I have noticed outside of Wisconsin a lot of "hill country" is more rolling, and there is no defined "military crest". On rolling hills the beds often are not in the same spot every day, they actually most likely even move several times during the day. I know this because I know why they are bedded there. They want to smell both above and below at the same time... Wind speed, air pressure, temperature, sun location, speed of thermal rise, exact wind direction, etc. are all going to change exactly where the wind tunnel is on a rolling hill.

So, you need to determine which points they are bedding on, rather than the exact bed... Then determine how they get in and out of that hill, so you know where to ambush.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:23 am

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:46 am

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:16 am

Nice looking beds hunter Mike.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:00 am

Some of these I'm surprised to see some water in there...do they use them with a little water standing in the bed or would they possibly wait until they are dried up?

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:38 am

I agree ^^ I'm not sure they sleep in water.

purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:49 am

A few swamp beds from today's scouting.

A nice rub 40 yards from one bed, some similar sized rubs in the area from last year.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:00 pm

So in this bed thread...if you guys that posted in it...what was the outcome of the beds that you found? I am pretty sure, the olders one are from 6yrs ago when this thread was started...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”