Late Season Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Late Season Hunt

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:12 pm

It has been a bitter sweet late season hunt for me. I sat here on my PC for the longest time trying to decide if I should even post. First off I want to thank God for sending me such a wonderful wife. Anyone that can put up with my hunting the way she does is a very rare and special person, sooo I thank you dear Lord.
This past Muzzle Loader season I wounded what would have been my biggest buck ever (should be the first picture)main frame 10, right browtine broken off. I was ready to give up, I take pride in the hunter that I am. Sick to my stomach, I brushed of the dust and got right back on that horse. I am glad to say that buck is still alive (second picture)and will be even bigger next year.
Archery hunting the late season in December is what I wait for all year long. Theres not allot of deer up here in Northern Wisconsin anymore so my hunting so far has been frustrating to say the least. This past Wednesday I was suppose to head back to the Twin Cities to work and spend Christmas with my wife and relatives until I checked one of my Cuddeback trail cameras. Some might call me addicted to hunting or just plain selfish, I think its alittle of both. To make a long story short I skipped work and Christmas to hunt this Big Buck (Third Picture). "I believe Miles Keller did the same thing many years ago for a big 8 pointer he shot in Wisconsin. I wonder if hes still married LOL" My loving wife gave me the go ahead and wished me good luck.
Thursday afternoon had me in my stand at 1:00 in the afternoon. My pictures off my trail cameras have been telling me the mature bucks are finally settling down (I use corn) starting to show up during shooting hours. On stand its a ritual of mine to practice drawing my bow back, making sure everything is in order if that big moment should come. The end of Shooting hours was 4:40. At 4:30 it was dead quit out so I drew my bow back to see what kind of noise there was if any. I couldnt believe what I heard, as I drew my bow back there was this eeeeeerrrrr noise, thinking to myself what the heck is that, come to find out, I shoot a drop away arrow rest and the felt has worn away thus making that noise. Knowing I will not get away with that on a deer I took my arrow off and was preparing to leave a few minutes early when I glanced up only to see that big buck standing 40 yards away. I almost fell out of my tree stand, scrambling like old #10 Frances Tarkington (played for the Minnesota Vikings)I put my arrow back on and watched that big buck come right in, turn broad side, drew my bow and let her fly, SMACK. I know every one is waiting to here the happy ending, I am embarrassed and ashamed to say I screwed up again, I hit that deer right in the shoulder blade. I dont know what to say, two trophy bucks in one season, they both should be at the taxidermist right now. We tracked him in the morning and jumped him out of his bed, I hope he will survive.
I told my friend I am done for the year. He talked me into hunting one more night. Last night on Christmas Eve. How did I do? I shot another main frame 10, 20 1/4 inch inside spread, 190lbs (fourth picture). The buck is not a monster, but its mine. I am suppose to hunt the last week in Minnesota, I think I have had enough for one year.
December 24 Bow Buck 2010 011.jpg

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Late Season Hunt

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:20 pm

Ok the pictures did not show so here they are in order. Picture #1
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 pm

Congrats on sticking it out Mike!!!!!! Not easy to do when you become mentally drained. Hope you get to find the sheds of those 2 others and see them next season to get another chance at them.
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Picture #2 Muzzle Loader buck still alive.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:27 pm

#3 Picture
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Nice buck Mike. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:42 pm

congrats!
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Wow congrats Mike!!!Great story!
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Congrats
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Those are some great deer for Northern WI.
Congrats on bagging the buck and the others will be there for you next year and will be even bigger.
Glad to hear you stuck with it because most guys would have given up especially during late season.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Nice work man way to stick with it! I had a few mishaps in the early season and I've been extremely hesitant since then. I cut down the distance I am comfortable shooting dramatically and get a little more nervous. I too am hoping to redeem myself here in the late season. Question for you though! are you hunting these bucks right over the corn or are you back tracking to where they come from?
We too hunt Northern WI (oneida county) and have a small corn pile that grandpa puts out a gallon one or two times a week. The deer are on the corn within an hour of him dumping it and I am not sure how I should approach my upcoming hunts here in the late season.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Good story....patience and persistence pays off

Well done, sir
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:05 am

Getting back up on the horse and staying focused seems to have been a good tactic. A lot of guys would of lost there mental edge after the second bad hit.... Those things happen. You need to be able to deal with it.
Good job Mike. I think there is a lesson for everyone within your story.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:31 am

BackWoodsHunter
I have 7 stands, I hunted right over the corn on this buck, my trail cameras dictate what stand I will be sitting on. I have some awsome bucks visiting but during late hours and cant pin point where they are bedding or coming in from. The snow is not deep so the only defined trails coming in are the ones 80 yards just before the corn, they can travel where ever they want this year. One thing I have learned every year is different. Last year with the heavey crusted snow from the rain we got in December I sat over a well used trail (Dec 28th)200 yards from the corn a shot a nice buck at 4:00 pm. This nice buck in the picture would never come in during shooting hours, I hunted him about 4 times, left the camera up just in-case he started to show up during hours but he never did. I know he does bed on another piece of private property that I cant get permission to hunt on.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 am

The date and time on that picture is Dec 6 at 5:06 PM

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”