Ontario Canada

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chadhaucke

Ontario Canada

Unread postby chadhaucke » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I was wandering if anyone had any info on Ontario deer hunting. Im looking at a DIY hunt somewere up there and am just looking for anyone who has done it or anyone that has any info about it. Ive heard from people that there are spots there that are pretty heavily hunted so I guess im looking for one of those areas that might not be. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: Ontario Canada

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:56 pm

Chad,

Ontario is a double-edged sword. It can be really good hunting or really bad hunting. There are some dandy bucks up there, but they don't grow on trees. For your best chances, look for those hard-to-get-to, out of the way areas where you have to work to get back into. It is big country up there and a lot of hunting pressure has hammered most of the traditionally good areas over the last five years. Look for areas away from any of the larger populous areas like Dryden, Vermillion Bay, Kenora, Sioux Narrows and Rainy-Lake. These are all heavily outfitted areas and most of the bucks killed are 2 & 3 year olds, which rapidly decreases the amount of 5-7yr olds running around up there. Look into doing a spike-camp (contact the MNR for rules regarding this) or taking a boat to an uninhabited end of a waterway to get away from the crowds. Another key is to look for low deer numbers. High numbers of deer attract high numbers of hunters and outfitters, which equals high kill ratios and low quality bucks in a short amount of time. A low population of deer in an area makes it less desirable to hunters and outfitters and it gets bypassed by most. Start there and put on a ton of miles afoot. Don't set-up on the first good sign you see - I have made that mistake in the past and it cost me. Spend a minimum of three-days on your feet pounding ground to find several good bucks, then you have several options to hunt. Be prepared to sit long hours and see few deer. These hunts are hard on you mentally & physically and not for the faint of heart. A good attitude is key.

Good luck!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:38 am

Good info Troy!!!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Thanks for the info Troy, im already looking into areas and yah I definately agree with you about the areas you mentioned to stay away from. I never really thought about the boat idea but I do like it, ive actually done some of that up in the nw part of WI. The only thing with that is im gonna go up in the spring for 5 days and I dont want to get back there in Nov and have either the lake or river system froze over and all my spring scouting down the tubes. I found out something else I didnt know today is that there gun season closes to non residents Nov 15 which kinda defeats my purpose because I was wanting to go during our rifle season which starts Nov 21st, so either I go earlier or try to find somewhere else to do a wilderness type hunt during that 3rd week of Nov. Thanks again for the info.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Chad- Different parts of the Ontario province have different gun openers, but finding that third week open near you might be tough. PLH's advice of staying away from the heavily outfitted areas is sound. Remember, Ontario is enormous in size and getting away from the heavily hunted areas isn't difficult.

Forgive me those of you who don't like the crossbow, but in Ontario it's considered the same as a bow with the same seasons- something to consider if nothing else works out for that third week. One other point, take an Ontario map with you and make an appointment with the MNR (Ministry of Natural Resources) office to speak with the area biologist. He or she can show you a line across your region where above it to the north the whitetail really start to disappear. Back inside that line to the south you will typically find very low deer populations but absolutely enormous bucks. I almost hit one with my truck that still has me losing sleep. Ontario bucks typically have tremendous mass, but shorter tines it seems. The body weight and track sizes can be off the charts. 8-)
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Chad, I'll talk with my brother, cuz I believe he went back up to ontaio and hunted after our deer season here. I believe he was able to hunt until Dec. 11th. Some friends of ours have a few hundred acres up there. I will check and see for you. If anything I could pm you and give a name to call. He might even let you hunt it. Don't know if he would charge a fee or not. I know it backs up to alot of crown land. Our friends live in Hayward. maybe your close to there. I have not hunted it personally. Whats fun about canada is that you may not see to many deer, but a SLOB could walk out at any moment. Dress warm and sit, sit, sit, allday.
chadhaucke

Unread postby chadhaucke » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks for the replies its much appreciated and as for being able to hunt into that third week on Nov I guess im gonna have to look into that a little bit more. Yah if your bro has any info I would love to talk to him or you. Im already havn trouble sleeping at night and its only Feb. haha Its kinda funny how things change over the years in a persons deer hunting career. I hunted big woods my whole life with pretty good success up until last year, I found myself and my hunting partner, leasing a piece of property in Pike County IL that I searched all off season for. We had great success down there he shot a 151" 10 pt in the first three hours of our first time down there in Oct and I shot a 181 5/8 15 pt the last day of a 9 day hunt in Nov. We saw more deer in a total of 12 days hunting than I could ever imagine, but for some reason call it crazy it just isnt for me. Im not saying it was easy by any means down there, but it was just lacking something. Prolly the ability to roam wherever we wanted.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am

chadhaucke wrote:but for some reason call it crazy it just isnt for me. Im not saying it was easy by any means down there, but it was just lacking something. Prolly the ability to roam wherever we wanted.

congrats on taking a BEAST of a buck last year! I can relate to what you are saying, and it's hard to explain to those that haven't been there. Being able to scout and hunt giant tracts of big woods and wilderness is something I refuse to give up, ever!
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Ditto on Singing Bridge reply!!!
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Chad, ever think about a hunt in the boundary waters? Canoe in and base camp? I am thinking about giving that a shot next year. Maybe I should start a new thread and not hi-jack this one, but anyone interested in that or who has done it, let me know.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Also, I meant to ask. Did you make it up to Ontario? How did it go?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:54 pm

A few years back I was at a local Sportsman Show talking to the Benoit's about NW Ontario...

The Benoits did a few good hunts in Ontario and of course they scored some large deer (that's what they do). It didn't take long for the area guides to latch on the fact of the Benoits success. Within a short period of time, that region's guides used the Benoits notority for their marketing benefit.

The Benoit's have shifted spots and don't believe they spend much if any time in Ontario due to the added pressure (kind of like Dan's swamps). They expressed the next "hot" region they are exploring and you will likely find out in their next DVD, until then, I have to take it to my grave :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:06 am

This is certainly a old post, maybe should start a new one.

I'm fairly new to this forum, but as I read the old replies
to this post, there is some sound advice.

As mentioned in the replies about DIY hunts in N.W. Ontario
and the BWCAW in Minnesota, our group has been doing both
of these hunts for 10-12 seasons now, it where we hunt now.
(see public land buck post)
Most of us own property here in MI, that we take people out to
hunt and kids for the youth season, but don't hunt much anylonger.
Nothing against hunting farm/ag land, but would rather be in the
northern big woods.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:03 am

Tadmdad,

I have often wondered about the BWCA and wanted to someday check the area out. I have been to Ontario, Maine and of course....the U.P. and love those wilderness hunts. Start a thread on the BWCA with some pics!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:53 am

publiclandhunter wrote:Tadmdad,

I have often wondered about the BWCA and wanted to someday check the area out. I have been to Ontario, Maine and of course....the U.P. and love those wilderness hunts. Start a thread on the BWCA with some pics!

PLH

PLH,

Sure I can do that.

Our group hunts NWO and BWCA as a yearly hunt. I've never
hunted Maine, but my understanding from people I've spoken
to that it's a wilderness hunt also. I spent 20+ yrs hunting
the W.U.P., but haven't been there since 2003, but may hunt
their next year, in the early planning stages for a late
season hunt, just miss hunting the "old stomping grounds".

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”