Shed Buck Pictures

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
solocam88
500 Club

Re: Shed Buck Pictures

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Awesome pictures man, I love as they lay pics. Nice eye on that second one.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Haus86 wrote:Some bucks in northern MN are shedding already. In southern WI or Iowa, I start looking around the middle of January. Last year, I ran into a guy while hunting around December 21st. I asked him what he was up to and it turned out he was shed hunting. He said he has sees a few bucks starting to shed around that time in his area (Allamakee county, IA).

Hey, don,t sat that I,m hunting this weekend .
Swampman

Unread postby Swampman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:24 pm

I was hunting exactly a week ago (December 8)and I had a large buck come 20 yards past me. He had already shed his right antler. I have found sheds from this buck the last 2 years in December in the exact area I saw this buck. I planned to go back and look for his sheds but we just got 26 nches of snow. It may be hard to find them for awhile. This is in Southeast MN.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Every year for the past umpteen years I hear of bucks dropping in mid December, nothing new here.

My buddy already has trail cams of 3 large bodied shed out bucks in southern Iowa. Last year I picked up a nice shed almost a year ago to this day, it had been laying for at least a week simply based on how much snow an ice was on it.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:27 pm

Good info on the shed dropping.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

i just got done shining tonight in central WI, saw a few large bodied deer with no horns. they were too far away to know for sure tho.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:29 am

i usually dont start finding them until mid january...but i checked my trail cameras yesterday and i got 3 bucks with boths sides on and the next day they dropped 1 side already..iv never had one drop this early..2 of the bucks were 2 year olds and one 3 yr old..
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 am

Huntin - they all dropped a side? What are the odds... deep snow and cold is taking a toll already!?!?!?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:35 am

solocam88 wrote:Awesome pictures man, I love as they lay pics. Nice eye on that second one.

X2 that second one took a little bit to spot!!
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:55 am

Bucky wrote:Huntin - they all dropped a side? What are the odds... deep snow and cold is taking a toll already!?!?!?

ya..i got 3 bucks on cameras with both sides on..and then the next 2 days i got another picture of them with only 1 side on..crazy they dropped already...iv never seen it happen this early..in one way its nice because then they might make it through the holiday hunt as long as they keep one side yet and dont look like a doe...but usually when they drop one side..the other side isnt far behind
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:18 am

Huntinfool, where about are you at in Wisconsin? What percentage of bucks do you guys think shed this early?
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:48 am

located South Central..about hour away from madison..iv never had bucks this early drop before so i wouldnt know the percentage..i usually start finding the sheds late january..but now ill have to look sooner
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:05 am

Southern Wisconsin a few drop in December, especially if stressed from deep snow or ice. But most drop from January 1st till mid march.
Up north its common to drop in December.
I remember a while back when someone shot a buck in northern Wisconsin that would of been a new Wisconsin state record typical but both antlers popped off while he was dragging it out.
I was on a gun hunt in Buffalo county about 15 years ago when a guy shot a buck and we found it the next day with out its antlers and found both nearby where the buck went down.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 am

Been checking out some of my shed spots, everything I have run across is still holding tight. Did see a injured buck though and expect we will loose em soon. About a 120-30" class 8pt. Gonna check some cameras tomorrow, I'm a little North of huntn, Central WI.

From my shedding experience, the majority drop between Feb-Mar, usually start seeing early bucks drop mid Jan, have seen bucks hold all the way to May!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:52 am

I'm in Oneida County and still getting pictures of bucks sparring.....Grandpa sent these to me, he checked the camera monday and then again today so between monday and today we have had a variety of bucks on camera, nothin smaller than the 8pt fighting with the bigger buck in the pictures...no spikes or forks, could it be the young ones drop sooner and our "doe" pictures are shed young bucks. I must add for most of the season all we got on camera was spikes and 3pointers....don't mind the dates the temps/low batteries seem to have reset the time/date stamp.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”