Die hard backpacking. Are you into it?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Rav

Die hard backpacking. Are you into it?

Unread postby The Rav » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:59 am

Does anyone ever load up a backpack, tent and sleeping bag and head into the woods for a few days? This is something that I've been wanting to do for about 2 or 3 years now, but, feel that I need to learn more about it yet. A couple years ago I began collecting various items that I know that I would need to take on this kind of thing. I still have some items that I need to get before I would attempt to do this. I'm looking for ideas from some of you that may have experience with this sort of thing. There are some pieces of public ground that I want to explore or scout if you will, that are just way too huge to try to make a one day event out of it. I have to believe that there are some truly seasoned veterans on this website that are familiar with this sort of thing. What equipment do you use? What would be some of the best books on the subject to read? I hope that many of you can give some great advice on this subject, so lets hear about some of your experiences and knowledge that you have on this subject. Thanks!!!!

PLB
500 Club

Re: Die hard backpacking. Are you into it?

Unread postby PLB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:30 am

I would start by reading articles In Petersen's Bowhunting by Eddie Claypool and Bowhunter Magazine By Cameron Hanes and Dwight Schuh. These guys are all hardcore DIY guys and reading their stories gives me the itch to pack it in for a few days! Bowhunter also has a Survival and fitness section every issue as well!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 am

im scared of the dark no way i would sleep in the swamp i see dan hunting.....
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

Great post! I have been acquiring updated gear for the past few years. I just got a new internal frame pack this Christmas and a new stove. Remember to go as light as possible since you intend to come back out with a critter - hopefully! It can be kind of fun trying to see how light you can get and you will be amazed at how items you perceived were "necessities" are no longer needed.

Google "Ultra-light backpacking" and find Steve Gilman's site. He specializes in DIY ultra-light backpacking and has an online e-book you can get for free by just subscribing. Great tips and info in your quest. I will get together a good list of "affordable" ultra-light gear for you and re-post a new topic.

Good luck!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Its illegal around here on public land.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks PLH! I will look up the info you provided and go from there. About a year and a half ago I purchased a book called, "Backcountry Bowhunting, A Guide To The Wildside" by Cameron Hanes. Awesome, awesome book, it contains a wealth of info. I see the importance of going as light as possible. I don't have the packframe yet, but, I do have a backpack and waistpack that would get me through a couple of days. When I bought them I was thinking start small and work my way up. There are a few tracts of land up north that I know fairly well and I'm thinking this summer that I'll start it out kind of easy to give myself a feel for it. It would be awesome to build myself up to the point to be ready for a hardcore mountain DIY excursion. I just wouldn't want to end up being a pile of mountain lion crap or grizzly crap. I'm not looking at this lightly, I know it can end up being some serious testing ground to show someone what they are really made of. You said that you were going to put up another post reguarding this sort of thing, I will be looking foreward to it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 pm

The Rav wrote:Backcountry Bowhunting, A Guide To The Wildside" by Cameron Hanes. Awesome, awesome book, it contains a wealth of info.

I don't think I've seen that one, Rav- sounds like a pretty cool book.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 am

tresleggos wrote:im scared of the dark no way i would sleep in the swamp i see dan hunting.....

I know you're joking right.....I hope so.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 pm

The book "Backcountry Bowhunting" by Cameron Hanes is an excellent book! It is worth the investment and can be hard to find. The last time I looked for it I couldn't find one "In-Stock" anywhere. It also comes with a DVD. Excellent book to add to your collection!
Another excellent book (also published by the folks from Eastman's Hunting journal) is David Long's Hunting Trophy Mule Deer. Similar tactics as far as packing-in goes and also comes with a DVD sleeve.

PLH
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:29 pm

I bought the Backcountry Bowhunting book at Sportsmans Warehouse before they went out of business here in MN, damn I miss that store. They were by far my favorite sporting goods store in my area. But, they carried all the Eastmans books. I did get the dvd with my book when I bought it. I've started browsing through it again, right now I'm focusing on physical conditioning chapter, like Cameron says, every trip begins and ends with the legs. I was talking to a friend yesterday who said he would like to take a trip through the BWCA in northern MN. Which sounds like a great idea bacause a canoe is on my list of things to get.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:41 am

Rav,

Just a quick tip on canoes. You definitely "get what you pay for" in a canoe. Depending on what you plan on using it for, there are two huge considerations to take into account -
1. Overall weight (especially if you are solo packing and portaging around beaverdams etc)
2. Stability - not only with just you but consider when you have all your gear,dead critter and 36-degree water under you.

I made the mistake of going cheap and got a plastic one form a large chain store because in was on sale. It was way too unstable for one person - let alone two persons or one-man and gear. I had to sit on the floor in the middle to keep it stable enough that it wouldn't flip (and i am only 5'8" 190-lbs). So, take my hard-earned lesson to heart. A nice Mad-River or Radisson is the best choice.

PLH
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:48 am

Rav,

Forgot to mention.....if you really want a one-man lightweight canoe, get a plan book from Barnes & Noble for a Lightweight Cedar Strip Canoe and build one yourself. More time investment, more dollar investment, but truly an heirloom to cherish and has more of your heart n soul in it. mine will end up at just over 10-feet long and just under 25-lbs when complete. So, if I can keep my backpack and gear at under 25-lbs and my canoe at just under 25-lbs, I have an overall weight of 50-lbs and can virtually go anywhere to chase the wilderness bucks!

I do go to the local gym about 4-times per-week and workout. It was a habit I started way back as a kid and just kept it up. I can't run for exercise anymore since I ruined my knees in football and bodybuilding/weightlifting, so I just do a cardio-based intense workout with medium weight and try to log a ton of miles scouting and walking. Getting in good shape is a must for all of us...no matter how we hunt.

PLH
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:23 am

Did some packing in Idaho snake river area. I lived in Lewiston,Id. for about 7 years.
Some with horses and some with only a gun and sleeping bags strapped to our backs and tent. I remember once we decided to move lower to where most of the elk sign was and decided to leave the tent and moonlite it.
Weather changed that evening about midnight, started with rain and then led to snow. I was a wet night. Not much sleep. I hunted until about 1:00 and found my way back to the sleeping bags, inwhich I found a note from my brother; Not a dry piece of clothes on me!!1 Meet you at the truck. Never did see an elk!! Glad to see the truck though!!!
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:47 pm

This is what i did this year my first year hunting. Scrap the tent its just extra weight, id rather see something coming then just hear it lol(bears). get a molle style backpack and molle style camelbak. get about 1000' paracord to strap things to the molle. get a foam pad and an air pad and sleep in beds or holes the fallen over trees leave about 1/4 to a 1/2 mile away from where you are hunting. get a quality sleeping bag and a waterproof stuff sack to put it in. nothing is worse then a wet bag. take a small tarp if it might rain. i go through a lot of water so make sure you're by a water source. i packed peanut butter and honey sammiches and pasta already made with italian dressing on it. get some powdered gatorade also or the concentrated powerade. i never made a fire because i didnt want to alert the deer or bear that i was there. i took a old plastic snow sled and drilled holes in it. two for a thick rope handle and 8 for loops of paracord to strap the deer/bear down with to drag it out. The first deer I killed was a buck and didnt have this. I had to cut him in half and stuff him in my molle pack and strap him down then walk 2.5 mountain miles out then back for the other half. I learned the hard way lol. Get some of the non scented body wipes, you get funky out there. I managed to use dirt to cover my scent when hunting on the ground. Rub it on your face, in your pits, crotch, hands until you cant smell yourself anymore. If you pack all your stuff right and tie it off to each other you can have it all on your back. O yeah...good pair of boots or shoes cuz you dont want to leave early because of blisters. Thats just a little of what I learned this year. I liked being out there and not seeing or hearing anyone else. Its work but its fun.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm on the cusp. I have the gear. I've returned to my vehicle after most days. The time I didn't I found a cabin to stay in (it was in a national forest so was fair game). When I get drawn for my next Rocky Mtn tag, I'll bivy it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”