Nice Buck Today @ 2:30

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Nice Buck Today @ 2:30

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Seen a pretty nice 8 today in the open eating grass w/ about 5 does and a few smaller bucks. He wasnt a hoss but a nice buck for NC. Problem was he was right outside RDU International Airport eating some grass 40yds from the road. I stoped truck for about 15secs to check him out. :o

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Nice Buck Today @ 2:30

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:22 pm

Seems like they know where they can be and be relatively safe (not hunted)!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm

huntinnurse wrote:Seems like they know where they can be and be relatively safe (not hunted)!!!!!

you got that right!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:55 pm

You should look into hunting that. I recently discovered the airport in the town I live in is open to public bowhunting.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:24 pm

Ya I'm with BackWoodsHunter, you should try to get in there hunting!! Good luck!!
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:20 am

You need to look into that, sometimes there are places that you think you can't hunt, but you can get access if you do some research and get in touch with the right people. I just found a similar kind of limited access property by my house. It is a conservation area that appears to be no hunting, I called the company/conservation club that owns the land and they are interested in removing some deer from the area because the conservation area is not for Deer, but more for the watershed and overall water purity of the area. The best part is it's about 350 acres that weave along a river bottom that hasn't seen a hunter in a very long time. It's within the city limits and is bordered with urban sprawl and some commercial area. It looks like a big buck area to me and I may be the only one in there come fall. Im just waiting for the go ahead and I will be in there scouting and looking for sign of tresspassers which tends to occur on land close to areas people inhabit.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:20 am

Wonder who I would contact? It runs right b/w the airport and the major innerstate. Its also 2miles from where I work and close to a habitat sanc.....thats all marsh :). This is the 2nd largest airport in the state. Any suggestions on where to start? Also its one of the top three counties in our state for deer/car accidents and I beleive our state (NC) is one of the top 5 in the country for deer caused wrecks.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:45 am

I would start by looking and at a plot book and seeing exactly who owns the property. Might be a person, might be a company, might be the airport. Sometimes you think you know who owns it and then you look at the book and find out it's a much different owner. Once you know for sure who is in charge of the land you desire to hunt, look up that company/person and contact them. If it is in fact the airport, try to call a general number and ask for maintinence, chances are they can get you in contact with the groundskeeper etc..... Sometimes it can turn into a giant rat race, but if it pays off you may have the best land around, then all you have to do is keep quiet because once one person has access if other snoopers start finding out they will find a way on the property too.

It's a great time of year to start to look for new properties to hunt, especially when you have some places you can already access to hunt, you might as well try to find your own piece of paradise.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:57 am

Thanks Droptyne!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”