Has anyone hunted the Beltrami State forest, northern, MN

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ramblinman

Has anyone hunted the Beltrami State forest, northern, MN

Unread postby ramblinman » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:51 am

Has any of you hunted that forest or even up in the northern west corner of Minnesota? I'm moving there and am looking for some info on deer hunting. I actually know nothing about northern Mn. I'm leaving W. central wis. to go up there. I don't believe my deer hunting will be as productive with great deer hunting as it is here. Tell me I'm wrong!!
Moving there mainly for my fian'ce, she would like to be closer to her family, so we decided to give it a try for a year. Any info you can give me will be much appreciated!!
Thanks

headgear
500 Club

Re: Has anyone hunted the Beltrami State forest, northern, M

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 am

I have never hunted up in that area but I wouldn't expect anything like you might be seeing in WI as far as deer numbers or numbers of mature bucks. There will be mature bucks there but you will have to really work to connect with one. Expect high pressure on both public and private land unless you find a group of land owners who are willing to cooperate and let some bucks go. The one good thing about MN is there isn't a ton of bow pressure and there are very few guys willing to go into those hard to get areas so if you do find some good bedding areas you should have them all to yourself. Good luck, let us know what you find.
jigglestick

Re: Has anyone hunted the Beltrami State forest, northern, M

Unread postby jigglestick » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:33 pm

I hunted up there last year for a day.
BIG area. I believe the bovine TB zone is up there south of Roseau, still part of the area you mentioned.
they are trying like to irradicate the herd up there to completely remove the chance of the disease spreading...don't get me started.

we saw nothing, but there was sign. plenty of hunters, but as the herd gets knocked down, people start moving to other more productive areas.
lots of big swamps. tamarac and spruce that go on for miles. I have to believe there are several square miles up there without any deer.
I have always believed though that these are the kinds of places where some bucks end up living out there life without ever seeing people.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”