Maine D.I.Y. Moose

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Maine D.I.Y. Moose

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:58 pm

Anyone out there had an opportunity to draw a Maine Moose tag? I have been applying for eight years and will keep trying til I get one. If I do, I will make it a D.I.Y. hunt and find a nice one in a remote location and then pack-in and spike camp to hunt him. This would be my first moose hunt. Give me some feedback on your "moose" hunting experiences.

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Maine D.I.Y. Moose

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:02 am

I have not gotten to hunt moose yet, but would love too. Where I hunt in Northern MN there are moose every where, but they only let residents hunt on a very limited draw.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 am

PLH, when you draw that tag, I have a friend in Maine that does DIY that may be of great resource for you!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:08 am

Nurse,

That would be much appreciated! My plan would be to study the topo maps and aerials of the area, with a follow-up call to the Game & Fish Department to find out as much as I can about moose in that particular "zone". I would get there 3-days early and hire a bush plane to do a fly-over in the late evening and early morning to see if I could spot a huge moose on a remote lake or clearcut feeding within that assigned zone. If I spot one worth hunting, then I would GPS and mark the location on a map and "pack-in" with a frame-pack, tent, etc. and spend the week hunting that moose or another if nearby. I would love to take one with archery equipment and video the hunt for a public-land video. Big dreams!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 pm

PLH,

ever heard of this guy.
http://outdoorswithdon.com/aboutdon.htm

He is a writer too.

I met him in Indy a few years back. He was fascinating to speak to. When he started telling me about his solo trips to Alaska, I was blown away. I have hauled Elk out of the mountains with my cousin, but something about hauling a moose out by yourself just blows me away.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
MEhunter

Unread postby MEhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Publiclandhunter, I'm the one huntinnurse knows from Maine. Most people over look Maine for doing a DIY moose hunt. You can't beat the price if you ask me and the quality of hunt you can experience can be tough to beat, other than alaska and the yukon of course. Perosnally i have never been drawn for a permit either, been applying since i was 10, I'm now 23, this will be my 14th year applying. My Uncle and Grandfather have been applying since the lottery started in 1982 and have not been picked either. I have been lucky enough to have friends that have been drawn and have been able to go on numerous hunts. Out of the 9 hunts (a few years we had multiple tags in camp) I've been on last year was the first hunt I was a part of that we didn't get a moose. I was actually part of two tags last year, my friends 10 year old son was in fact able to harvest a moose on film, but my other buddy that I went down and hunted with after wasn't able to get one down, it was a real tough hunt in the zone he was in, rut was done and i mean DONE, i left camp at 2 am every morning and pounded logging roads and couldn't get a bull to respond in 3 days. All the other hunts have been successful. Best one I've seen killed was 61 inches 1070 pounds. Most moose I've seen on a hunt was 69 and that was only in 5 days of hunting. The hunts up here are quite a bit different than in Alaska or the Yukon. I could go on and on, but i guess it would be easier if you just ask me some questions and i will do my best to fill you in with some answers! Oh and if you like pictures, I may have just a few... ;)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Oh and if you like pictures, I may have just a few...

Do we want pic's... What kind of question is that? Of coarse we want to see some pic's!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:15 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks Dave!!!! I'm sure there will be lot's of questions coming your way!!!!!
Welcome to the site!!!!! You could post some of your bear pics, too!!!! :D
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
MEhunter

Unread postby MEhunter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 am

Bull from two years ago, biggest mistake my buddy ever has made! Got caught up in the moment, shot the wrong bull. Still have no idea how he did it, but we had this one horned bull and about a 50 incher standin side by side. Had to wait for the to separate for him to shoot and once they split up they went over a hill, snuck up on them again and he just looked up and shot the wrong one at 50 yards!
One of the studs from 3 years back. My buddies dad who is a parapalegic shot this one, 3 big bulls all standin together with 2 cows, turenchil down poor.
Other good one from 07 61 inches 1070 lbs
Good one my buddies brother killed a few years back
state record archery kill that my buddy guided a few years back
Top 20 all time in the state, same friend guided this one
Rest are all other bulls that have been killed recently
This was the bigest shot back in '07, 67" spread 1170 lbs
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am

WOW...
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Amazing!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:22 am

Holy Crap!!! Where do I sign up?
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am

sweet pics. 8-)
Ashley

Unread postby Ashley » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:41 am

Wow! :shock:
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 am

PLH, does this help???MEHunter knows his stuff!!!!!! PLH, I have his phone # if you are willing to trade something!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”