DNR reports final gun hunting results....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

DNR reports final gun hunting results....

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:48 pm

MADISON – A survey of Wisconsin deer registration stations conducted by the state Department of Natural Resources has yielded a preliminary tally of 218,144 for the just-ended, nine-day November gun deer hunt, an 11 percent increase over the 2009 nine-day season. The opener was highlighted by good hunting conditions on opening day and no firearm-related fatalities for only the second time on record (see related news release).

Statewide, hunters registered 102,006 bucks (a 17 percent increase over 2009) and 116,138 antlerless deer (a nearly 7 percent increase over 2009). Gun deer license sales totaled 621,094 at the close of the hunt.

The nine-day harvest numbers are preliminary and are expected to change before a final report is published in late winter. It does not include harvest information from the archery, October antlerless gun deer hunt, muzzleloader, December antlerless deer gun hunt or late archery seasons. The preliminary nine-day gun harvest count in 2009 was 196,688.

A table of county by county (pdf; 39kb) harvest broken down by DNR region, with a comparison to the 2009 preliminary harvest is available on the DNR Web site.

“This season included more regular units with a substantial number of buck only units as many units in the northern and central forest regions are close to population goals or are below goals,” said Keith Warnke. “Wildlife management and especially deer management is a process of continual adjustment. This season’s structure was influenced by deer hunters, population goal changes, last year’s deer harvest, and the resulting estimated local deer populations.”

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: DNR reports final gun hunting results....

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 pm

WOW that kinda surprises me!! I don't hunt the firearms season, so I do alot of driving around to see what is going on in the area. In my area I seen about the same amount of hunters. Most I talked to had an average season at best. So the increase is really interesting to me.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:19 am

Surprises me too, I wonder if they fabricated it so as not to have the reaction they had last year...

In the year 2000 back when I think the deer hunting was the best in the history of Wisconsin 694,712 hunters shot 528,494 deer...

Whether you look at it up, down, or sideways 218,144 is less than 1/2 the deer shot back in the "good ol days"

northern and central forest regions are close to population goals or are below goals,” said Keith Warnke.

In other words, Us southern Wisconsin hunters are way above goal and Keith thinks we still need to knock the herd even lower, and that those of you in the North should never expect better results. :roll:
sumac

Unread postby sumac » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:51 am

Keith Warnke.... I cant wait til that jack wagon is a name of the past.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:00 pm

sumac wrote:Keith Warnke.... I cant wait til that jack wagon is a name of the past.

I wonder if the color yellow still upsets him :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:01 pm

I don't know what to think.......my son and I just got out of the woods and are headed to the tavern/registration station for a pizza and hot chocolate. I will check to see what his buck numbers are for the year. Know his bow numbers were super low compared to years past. (2009 season were low also, just don't remember exact numbers.)

Does the DNR inflate numbers.....I think they just double count in some counties, cell error on the 'ol xlspreadsheet. :lol:

Where I hunted just didn't have the rifle shots like years past. Thanksgiving day did not hear but (1) shot and that's when I got back to the truck.....more than likly out someones window because it was dark.

I wish the deer population was a little higher here, but have to say with-in a few miles of where a few folks live the deer numbers are on the rise. (assume home deer feeders)

Call me selfish but with the low numbers, but slightly higher than years past and the no doe killing, the hunters have just stayed away. Which is great in my mind, I'll fight the low popuation numbers as long as very few to no hunters are in the woods with me.

All things considered tonight we saw a doe and (2) fawns right away in stand and then right at dark a doe and single fawn came thru. Did NOT here one muzzleloader shot at all. Odd for a Saturday night. Hate to say it but think this area will have a doe season next year and then all the orange will infiltrate again. :cry:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:22 pm

The first 4 days of gun season in Vilas county I heard less than 50 shots with almost 40 hours on stand.
The DNR claimed that about 450 bucks were killed in Vilas county on opening weekend! :?
None of the deer camps around us had a deer hanging on their game poles and I never saw a deer on the back of a vehicle in the five days I was up there plus I drove home Wednesday morning for Thanksgiving and never saw a deer on a vehicle all the way home driving 215 miles.
Either everybody was hiding their deer really well or the DNR is really lying about the deer kill numbers. :evil:
I don't know what to believe anymore!!
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:27 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Does the DNR inflate numbers.....I think they just double count in some counties, cell error on the 'ol xlspreadsheet. :lol:

Awww noo, they wouldn't do that, look how good they are with numbers, like when counting, deer, or bears, or wolves :roll:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12 am

One of the local registrations here said they were down by less than 1/2 the kills at the same time last year...
And really, with all the "buck only" areas, how could the kill be higher this year?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 am

Report from the registration staion....quite surprised as he mentioned he was too.

2010 so far mid 30's for bucks, gun only. 2010 bow was at 7 bucks. One doe total by a guy with a disabled permit is what I think was mentioned?

Last year 2009 he had (122) with only 11 being bucks for the gun only. Bow season numbers were super low last year and he didn't remember off hand but on "average years", his words, mid-to high 30's for bucks with the bow and 60-100 does with the bow.

We are located in the fringe area where some DMU's were doe last year why he had doe (majority) registred in 2009.

Conclusion from 2009 to 2010, big jump in increase of total numbers for bucks killed but overall kill deer numbers drastically down.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”