My best scent control year ever and this is all I did...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

My best scent control year ever and this is all I did...

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:36 pm

All I did was play the wind correctly, bathed in scent free Dove soap, used baking soda to wash my clothes, and then hung them up to dry. Each hunting day demanded a different stand position based on the wind. I used no cover scent, nothing and had better success at getting deer close and not getting busted than ever before. I seriously took the wind into account every single hunt this year instead of hoping my wind would be ok. This year made me a believer that the only things that I can really do to reduce the chances that a deer smells me is to hunt the wind correctly and to not step anywhere I think a deer might walk. I spent $0 on cover scents, special scent free laundry detergent, and special hunting soaps.

Simplistic yet effective.

Troutking

Re: My best scent control year ever and this is all I did...

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:44 pm

I haven't killed a big deer yet this year. Missed one in Oct. and had some close calls. That being said I have passed on more deer, and had more does under my stand then ever before. My routine sounds about the same as yours. Dove Soap, scent free shampoo, air out my clothes when possible, wash them in scent free detergent. I haven't bought any special pixie dust spray, etc. Of course I play the wind on every hunt and try to hunt a new spot constantly. One spot I have hunted 3 times this year, most places once and a couple places twice.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Quick question..Where are you guys getting scent free dove soap? Is it just the regular dove, or do they make an unscented bar?

I dont think Ive seen it..
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:55 pm

They make an unscented bar Corn. I bought mine at Bloom (grocery store)after I did a smell test on it. It had No scent and it leaves your skin with some moisture which is a pleasant experience considering many of the "special hunting soaps" I used in the past put a hurting on me in the form of dry skin.

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm

I too have had a similiar experience. I am slightly hooked on tinks 69 for the rut though. Two seasons ago I just about got trampled by an 8pointer on my way out of the woods. He came on a bee-line nose to the ground following where I walked with that stuff on my boots I had to whistle at him and he stopped at about 20ft grunted and took off. The rest of the year I bathed in scent free soap. Aired out all of my clothes stored them in rubbermaid bins with pine boughs. I smell like a christmas wreath everytime I set foot in the woods which works where we hunt. I think the best reason for my success this year in getting close too and seeing deer was mobility, being observative in the early season and pre-season and hunting the wind like you said. Definitely can chalk the most success up to being mobile. Last season I hunted permanent stands and got busted atlast once every hunting trip but staying mobile this yr I don't think I got busted once.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:53 pm

Playing the wind better than ever before and being mobile has helped me the most with my deer sightings. I spend more time in the woods and less time making everything I own scent free. I do use scent free soap for my shower and also scent free soap to wash my hunting gear 1 or 2 times a season and that's it for me.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:15 am

virginiashadow wrote:They make an unscented bar Corn. I bought mine at Bloom (grocery store)after I did a smell test on it. It had No scent and it leaves your skin with some moisture which is a pleasant experience considering many of the "special hunting soaps" I used in the past put a hurting on me in the form of dry skin.

Exactly why I was looking for something else. Besides they are very over-priced.

Thanks VS
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:16 am

shadow I did less then you and had my best year ever. I didn't worry about scent at all and often went into the woods with clothes that sat in my garage and didn't shower most ofthe time. By strictly focusing on wind and entry and exit routs I had plenty of deer in close and two mature bucks in bow range. I did get busted one time by a mature doe who caught be by surprise but for me it was very refreshing to hunt this way after years of playing the scent free game.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:29 am

Green soap is still cheap.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:11 am

I use mostly blood and guts for cover scent. I dont walk where the deer will walk and I use the wind. I killed a buck and four does with my bow and passed up several. I also shot one with a gun at two steps. No scent control except wind and thermals. Most natural predators like a big mountain lion for example, really stink. I think it has made me a much better hunter not using any scent control measures because I cannot hope at all that something wont smell me. I know they will smell me so I am extra careful to make sure the wind carries my scent away from the animal. When I dabbled in the scent control stuff I would cut corners and hunt borderline wind conditions.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:47 am

Dor wrote:Green soap is still cheap.

And it destroys my skin, leaving me feeling like a Leper.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 am

When I dabbled in the scent control stuff I would cut corners and hunt borderline wind conditions.

I was the same way and it was detrimental to me as a hunter and cost me some really nice bucks. Wind direction/not crossing trails/thermals is all I use now and I have seen a significant increase in mature buck encounters. I honestly don't think I got winded once this year. I do use scent free soap/detergent because they are cheap if I had time. The day I shot my buck this year I left strait from work with no shower and had my hunting clothes sitting in my truck which smells strongly of cigarretts and moldy carpet. I played the wind, didn't cross trails and killed him. If I had to go into the woods smelling like lilac and had my boots sprayed down with Drakar I would do so with confidence.

Learning how to play the wind correctly is a powerful feeling and once you get the stupid scent control stuff out of your head you will become more predatory a better hunter and have greater success.

I just wish everyone would stop thinking there is a cure for human scent and start hunting like our forefathers did. I personally have several friends that are scent freaks and they are some of the least successful hunters I know because simply stated, they are cutting corners and thinking the carbon suit crap will let them hunt in any wind.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:42 am

Great reply Dropyyne!
I would like to add that if you do your scouting effectivly and know where and how the bucks will move, scent control becomes even less needed. 95% of the time the target buck approachs my stand from exactly where I expect him. Pretty easy to make sure the wind is right and that I don't cross his trail.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:02 am

Its almost like scent control is what people use so they don't have to scout. They go as scent free as possible thinking a deer can now come from any direction, then pick a great (obvious) rut stand in September and hunt the crap out of it. Then I tell them they deer are smelling them and avoiding the area and they give me a funny look and say no that can't be it.

I almost hate to say this Dan but I don't tell everyone I know to buy your videos, only those who I feel are ready for it. Otherwise your great knowledge falls on deaf ears.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:25 am

headgear wrote:I almost hate to say this Dan but I don't tell everyone I know to buy your videos, only those who I feel are ready for it. Otherwise your great knowledge falls on deaf ears.

You are not alone Headgear. I do the same thing. Some people just can't handle the truth!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”