Story of a buck (Very long read)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Story of a buck (Very long read)

Unread postby Dor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Good stuff Schultzy. It happens man. Thats about all i can say. More bucks are in the sea :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:51 am

jigglestick wrote:I don't know what to say schultzy.
one way to look at it is you got attached with blood sweat and tears.
another way to look at it was it was a deer, not your kin.
part of the risk we take when delving into an adventure this deep whether intentional or not, is getting so attached to the situation that it drains you emotionaly when it ends this way.
what makes the risk worth taking is the thrill / joy of having it come to fruition. the challenge of the connection. of getting it done.

chalk it all up to life experience. it's a lesson. not one you lost, though it may feel like that, but instead, a lesson of respect which you showed this creature on numerous occasions with your choices not to take risky shots and your relentless persuit of this one animal.
by doing that you took yourself to another dimension of hunting.

I think I would like to say that I don't want to go there, but then again, I haven't encountered the buck/situation that has presented that scenario to me. who knows, maybe next year I will be thrown into that scene and I too will become obsessed with an animal as worthy as the one you danced with.

I almost hope not.

I don't need to stroke you and tell you you did a good job, your a good hunter. you know that.
the next adventure is right around the corner.
I've been saying It for a while to myself, you and I gotta go hunting sometime together!! 8-) Thanks for the kind words buddy. To be honest this expierence was an awesome one. I learned more about mature bucks the last 2 years hunting this buck only then I've learned In the prior 23 years I deer hunted. I owe this buck allot for what he did for me. A person Is never going to get everything he or she pursues. There's a reason they call this hunting and not getting. ;) None the less, a great expierence this was.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:53 am

Sam Ubl wrote:9 encounters is a lot of encounters - but such is life when you're staying mobil as you were with your stands. Way to stay on top of him and what a cool history you had with him. Isn't funny how after such a history, when he finally gets shot (especially by someone else) it's kind of like losing a friend.
Agree Sam.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks for all the nice words everyone. Just thought I'd share this story with you all from the beginning to the end.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:09 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:WOW thanks for the great story!! You really had one heck of a history with him. Sorry to hear the ending wasn't in your favor. You had him where he needed to be, just that the rest of the stars didn't line up for you. What does the latest buck look like that you are onto now? I'm sure he's another great one, so show us some pictures ;)
Thanks wrinkleneck. On November 7th I got a picture of a 135 to 140 Inch 10 point. Never have I gotten a picture of him before. I don't believe he's a buck that hangs around In the woods I hunt but rather a buck that came through during the rut. Chances are I'll never see him but you never know. He'd get an arrow for sure If he walks In front of me. This week I'm moving a stand to the east side of the woods that's generally good for late season buck hunting.
Pininsula 2010 Buck Scrape 308.jpg

This here buck I never saw on stand but saw him twice while walking In to hunt chasing a doe each time. I'm not sure yet If I'd shoot him or not If he gives me a shot. , I don't even know If he's still alive.
Bottom trail west side 2010 434.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 am

Its called tough love...

I have a similar story ending with the same results- UNFORTUNATELY!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 am

Like i said Steve I feel for ya brother....But now get out and make a new story with one of those other 3 bucks. It will happen for ya you are too good of a hunter..
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 am

Man thats a great story with a not so great ending but at least you got some closure on him. Its awesome that you had so many encounters with him as well.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 am

Great Story,

Your a class act Schultzy
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Swamp Donkey

Unread postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Neat story. Thanks for sharing!

• Advertisement