Crossbow Injuries

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Crossbow Injuries

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:20 pm

With the legalization of crossbows in Michigan for all hunters in almost all deer hunting seasons, we are seeing a rash of crossbow injuries in our ER's, with EMS, etc. These are mostly self-inflicted while firing/cocking/unloading the Xbow. One of my coworkers had a black colored finger for months, luckily he didn't lose any parts. I spoke with an orthopedic surgeon from a small farming community who told me of personally sewing back on four (4) thumb/fingertips this deer season. Anyone else observing Xbow injuries?

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Crossbow Injuries

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:41 pm

I know it can happen, but haven't heard of any in my area.
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:17 am

I think its just like anything else the more people that use them the more chance there is for someone to get injured. I think that is why you are hearing about it more this year since more people are using them since they are now legal for all to use.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:56 am

The Xbows have literally flown off the shelf here in Mich. the last couple of years... some small bow companies likely would have gone belly up without Xbow sales, they admit. Thousands of hunters with no real familiarity of the weapon buying and firing them- probably not a great recipe. I'm a regular bow guy, but if I ever fired one I'd definitely be watching my finger location at all times.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 pm

I'd definitely be watching my finger location at all times.

Crossbow or not... Thats a good quote to live by. :lol:
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:12 pm

yeah you always have to know your weapon when you buy it...some crossbows have better safety features than others when it comes to keeping your fingers down and out of the way..some of the old ten points had a nice thumb safety where you would have to press a button down with your thumb in order for it to shoot. haven't seen any accidents this year in my area and crossbow sales have been spectacular! so nock on wood
When better is possible, good is never good enough
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:29 am

Have there been any fatalities from X-Bow use?

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri May 20, 2011 9:34 pm

yes there have been 3 fatalities with my crossbow, would have killed a 4th deer but I missed.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri May 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:yes there have been 3 fatalities with my crossbow, would have killed a 4th deer but I missed.

I also had 1 fatality with mine :D
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat May 21, 2011 11:15 am

Singing Bridge wrote:...Anyone else observing Xbow injuries?

No, but from what I have heard and seen there has been a far higher percentage of 4.5+ year old bucks killed with X-bows than with regular archery equipment this past season.

Uncle Lou wrote:yes there have been 3 fatalities with my crossbow, would have killed a 4th deer but I missed.

:lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat May 21, 2011 2:05 pm

No, but from what I have heard and seen there has been a far higher percentage of 4.5+ year old bucks killed with X-bows than with regular archery equipment this past season.

Sounds like they must have done there scouting homework if they are knocking down 4.5+ year old bucks. Just because they are using a xbow doesn't put a mature buck in front of them.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat May 21, 2011 2:10 pm

[/quote]
No, but from what I have heard and seen there has been a far higher percentage of 4.5+ year old bucks killed with X-bows than with regular archery equipment this past season[/quote]

Sounds to me like they must have done their scouting homework. Just because they are using a Xbow doesn't put 4.5+ year old mature buck in front of them ;)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2011 1:36 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:

No, but from what I have heard and seen there has been a far higher percentage of 4.5+ year old bucks killed with X-bows than with regular archery equipment this past season[/quote]

Sounds to me like they must have done their scouting homework. Just because they are using a Xbow doesn't put 4.5+ year old mature buck in front of them ;)[/quote]
X2
A crossbow ain't any more accurate or shoot any further than a bow. The only advantage seems to be not having to pull the string back when the buck is nearby...
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun May 22, 2011 9:24 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Sounds to me like they must have done their scouting homework. Just because they are using a Xbow doesn't put 4.5+ year old mature buck in front of them ;)

Didn't say that, just reporting the facts as I have personally seen them thus far. I also thought it might be guy's that only gun hunted their property now were out during the early rut/chase phase in bow season. Possibly guy's that didn't allow anybody else to hunt so there was a big buck(s) prime for the taking. I'm sure there are a variety of reasons. I just know what I have heard and seen.

dan wrote:...A crossbow ain't any more accurate or shoot any further than a bow. The only advantage seems to be not having to pull the string back when the buck is nearby...

I have to disagree with you on this one Dan. I have met people with crossbows including people that had just purchased and started shooting them and from what I have seen the average hunter can add an additional 20 yards to his range (I haven't come across any women shooting them yet). I'm talking about a quality modern X bow. I'm not talking about a low end or top of the line X bow. I know of one guy shooting an old cheap one who could barely keep them on a pie plate at 30yards, but also know that a top end X bow like the PSE TAC-15 can easily do 75 yards with an expandable (and it's an extremely quiet cross bow).

That being said, I still don't think this is it's greatest advantage as I have read that even most gun kills in Michigan's big woods are within 30 yards. I think that by far the greatest advantage is not having to pull the string back when a deer is nearby. This is a HUGE advantage that can not be understated and is where I believe most people blow it. IMHO

Also there are some in the industry like Steve Gruber that will tell you he "isn't going to lie" "the cross bow is a far superior weapon to the compound". He just thinks people need to accept that and move on (I think he actually means on boths sides of the debate). Gruber loves to promote them on his show and not just because of one of his sponsor's is Excaliber, but because he genuinely loves them.

Despite how it may sound at times, I'm not a cross bow hater. In fact I stood with and helped the Michigan Bow Hunters fight to relax X bow regulations, although I didn't want them legal from mid September until January. The thing that drives me nuts sometimes is when people keep arguing that X bows are no more effective, or even less effective than a compound. I just don't buy it because 1) it doesn't make sense to me and 2) I have seen first hand that this is not the case with a properly set up cross bow. I should however, point out that I have never actually shot an X bow. Just watched people I either didn't know or were an acquaintance. If I get the opportunity to shoot one when I can video my first time I would to do so to show how quickly a first timer can shoot accurately and the range I can get without practicing.

To me the jump from compound to X bow is like the jump from a long bow to a compound. The jump to compounds was a good thing IMO because it allowed a ton of people to be able to shoot enough poundage to get quick humane kills and at a time when there were plenty of places to hunt where everyone could enjoy nature and some peaceful hunting away from the craziness of gun season.

I think they should be allowed in Michigan, but I think the DNR should have made that decision and set the season, not politics. I could have lived with that a lot easier even if it were the same as it is now. I just have a real problem with polititions that don't know a broadhead from a target point or a .223 from a 30-06 making policy. Many years ago that worked because our polititons were avid hunters and fisherman, but that is no longer the case. Unfortunately polititions decide on how wildlife is managed in our state I doubt that is going to change. Sportsmen are a money maker for the government and that's all we are.

Who knows, maybe X bows will turn out to be best thing since sliced bread in our state. Regardless, I won't be using one any time soon. Although I bet bowfishing with one could be interesting! :D To bad they are so expensive. I would like to try bowfishing with one!

Anyway, No, I haven't heard of any cross bow injuries.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun May 22, 2011 9:37 am

Its illeagle to bowfish with a crossbow in Wisconsin...
As far as crossbows not being as effective as compounds, I was basing that from my own personal experiances. I have shot a few and have had friends and hunting buddies whom had crossbows, even some very expensive ones... The ones I shot, and the people I seen shooting them? I would much rather have my compound in hand when the moment of truth came walking into my shooting lane...
As far as pulling the bow back being a big part of bowhunting... I agree with you there. When to pull the bow back, and how to do it, and setting up where you can pull it off is a very huge learning curve of bowhunting... I was not down playing that at all.

But personally, I could give a rats about crossbows, or any other wepeon choice... To each there own.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”