Chest Waders or Hip boots for Wetland areas??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Chest Waders or Hip boots for Wetland areas??

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:11 pm

I need some advice. I am going to be hunting some wetland areas and need our guys's advice. Which do you prefer and why? The likelihood of me going over my legs is rather small however, the possibility could be there.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Chest Waders or Hip boots for Wetland areas??

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:30 am

I rarely where either... I either get by with knee boots, or get wet. Sometimes I undress to cross small areas of deep water... To me, waders seem like a pain to carry or walk distances in..
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 am

I use stockingfoot waders with a pair of boots a size bigger than what I normally wear.
I have a pair of lightweight "pant" stockingfoot waders, that go waist high. And some chest ones also.
S/F waders have no boots (you slip boots on over them) which makes them lots more comfortable and increases the range of movement over normal waders.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 am

It's pretty simple. Do you want to get wet or not? And how deep is the water you'll be in?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 pm

some practical pointers already, I see 8-)

I use hip boots extensively for scouting, especially when its cold out. I've been wearing them for this since I was a kid, and would feel naked without them. I blast through most water without worry while scouting. For hunting, I try to get to the stand without them by wearing knee high boots. But during cold weather portions of the season, I won't hesitate to wear the hip boots to cross deep water to have the right approach to get on stand. In Michigan's UP on a gun opener one year, I crossed knee deep water and muck for an hour and a half to approach my stand correctly. 8-)
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 pm

I have a pair that I bought for a fly fishing trip from a few years ago. Very light weight. They almost fit in your pocket.
you could jog in them there so light.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 pm

I use hip boots, I don't need my knee highs slurping when I move to take a shoot at a deer 10 yards away because there full of water. If I have to use the hip boots I leave them wherever I can get in the rest of the way with the knee highs.
BigRed

Unread postby BigRed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm

I have a pair of waist waders, they work pretty good, they are neoprene though so its gets kinda warm during early season. Im actually gonna get some hip boots this year. Chest waders seem like a pain.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:29 pm

I've used both to get into various areas......just depends on the amount of water and muck. I usually just strap them onto my Badlands pack so I hardly even know I'm carrying them, then just stash them on the other side of the water and change back into my boots....works great.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:40 am

No one has mentioned how bad waders and some hip boots smell . . .

No matter what, unless you're safe from sweat and/or never let water in over the tops, those waders have an oder - that wet basement smell, what have you. I used to bow hunt a spot on public that I had to cross a river to get to the woods. No one hunted this spot because the river was waist hieght, but factor in the muck and I was literally an inch to the top every time I crossed. I would throw my other boots across before I would, then once across, I would change out my boots and hide the waders in the marsh grass till I headed back to the truck. I knew I smelled, I could smell the odor immediately after taking off those waders.

I dunno, is it just my waders that smell - maybe. . . Whatever.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will probably go the hip boot route. Not as hot for the early season :) Very good point about the smell of waders! As far as smell, If I find good sign close to previous scouted bedding areas I will just hunt and try to go no further. The spot will be burned but will backups. However, maybe I won't need a second hunt :)
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 am

I bought a pair of the Muck Woody Bayou boots and they are fantastic. I was originally going to buy a pair of waders and am glad I didn't. These boots are fantastic and go well past my knees (I am kind of a short guy) and have not found a creek or stream that I can't get across. They roll down to be like your regular hunting boots and are warm. Good luck
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Regarding the smell factor......just be sure when you get back home that you roll the tops down and put them on a boot dryer. It's the moisture/sweat that gets trapped inside that smells the worst!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:04 am

I though about picking one of those up...How much do they usually run price wise?
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:10 am

Good point Sam. Do you think the odor stays with you even when you take them off and put on other boots? Do you carry scent killer for this?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”