Final Day

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Final Day

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:39 pm

Well tomorrow is the last day of Archery before Shotgun season opens Saturday for 16 solid days. Winds forecast light and variable, Temperature 73 degrees. I originally had a vacation day scheduled for tomorrow, but was canceled by my employer for a stupid meeting they said I had to be at from 9am to 11. However providing everything goes right I plan on cutting out of there as soon as that meeting is over. Conditions are less than stellar but I can tell you around here, after opening weekend of shotgun things get pretty dead and will be even less stellar. I wish everyone here the best of luck and safe hunting.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Final Day

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Good luck Bob!
I couldn't help but notice your comment about how bad the hunting gets after opening day and wanted to point out that I hunt some pretty pressured public and some private, but it all gets pressure. And I have taken my fair share of big bucks during our gun season... And not a single one of them was ever taken on opening weekend of gun... ;)
Seems once they get a little pressure, I know where the big boys go.
I used to be well known in my family for ruining Thanksgiving just about every year by dragging a big bloody buck home just before the relatives were supposed to show. :lol:
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Actually my biggest buck ever was killed right before Thanksgiving after gun season was more than half over. I am not down, or out, but it kind of feels like the turning point of every season. I wish I could say that I got him because I knew where he would be, but I was just in the right place at the right time. No regrets, just knowing what I have learned from you will make my next buck special, because I will feel that I earned him.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm

hopefully it'll happen 2morrow or you get some energy and find some out of the way spots during gun season. It can't be as bad as MI! :)
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Seems once they get a little pressure, I know where the big boys go

How do you distinguish between a standard buck bed and a pressured buck bed/area? What do you look for?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:40 pm

During high pressure, bucks are going to the most dense or low pressure area they can possibly get. Generally by me this is the nasty marshes. During deer drives I have watched deer stand up out of their beds in public marshes and walk around pushers with little fear because they know they are safe in these areas.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:46 pm

But I also might add... How many times have you heard a story where someone during gun season bumps a big/monster buck out of an area where no one would expect or where he has never been seen before?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:09 pm

DropTyne wrote:
Seems once they get a little pressure, I know where the big boys go

How do you distinguish between a standard buck bed and a pressured buck bed/area? What do you look for?

Solocam pretty much nailed that question... They go to the bedding areas that are overlooked by hunters. This can be because of remotness, or because it is not obvious to hunters.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:16 am

Any luck, Bob?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”