Why do the Young Bucks Chase 1st?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Why do the Young Bucks Chase 1st?

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:20 am

This year Ive seen alot of young bucks chasing does. I've even seen a little spike run this one doe to death. Just curious why the big boys arent wanting first dibs or be in the chase sooner? Sorry for the elementary question but, hey dont ask dont learn right?

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Why do the Young Bucks Chase 1st?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 am

The way I look at it is that the mature bucks know the does are not quite ready therefore I look at it as in the bucks thinking, why waste the time and especially the energy it takes from them. The young ones not having experience from previous years are driven hard on hormones and dont realize their odds are slim early on if any odds at all. Thats my take on it. I could be wrong but thats what I believe is why I see the yearlings pushing does earlier on.

Like I said its not really first dibs because the mature bucks know better from previous years and experience that the does are not quite ready yet. In a comical sense. The mature bucks could be thinking, "Wow that guy is trying waaaaaaay too hard."
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:39 am

Actually, I think the big bucks do chase 1st... They just usually don't chase as aggressive. I think there are always some does that come into estrous early, some late, some right on time... The little bucks are always chasing, in my iopinion this is because they seldom get the girl... They chase till they end up crossing paths with a mature buck who lets the little one know he has no chance any more... Then the big one does the breeding and the little one is back off chasing. I have noticed a lot of the best and oldest bucks taken during the rut are taken the last week of October when most are saying it has not begun yet. Well the old bucks know that its about to and are looking for the 1st few.
I really believe the older they get, the less the participate in the chaseing or cruising of the rut. But they do get more active in daylight and do make more mistakes.
Look at Andrae and Adam Hayes, both typically get onto huge bucks the last week of October. Looks like 3Dog and Runde figured that out too... ;)
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the replies fellas!
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:18 am

This is an interesting observation......

It kind of makes sense to me in regards to the buck I shot this year. He was the first to start to mark territory/acting agressive, but he was also still a homebody deer. I shot him less than 50-75 yards from his bed. I also scored on this buck the last week of October. I'm pretty certain he knew he was the Big Hoss of the area and instead of running ragged like the little tikes he held tight to wait for the ladies to come to him....

If one popped into estrous near there he was going to be the one with first dibs.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”