Keeping a positive attitude

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Treejunkie

Keeping a positive attitude

Unread postby Treejunkie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:25 am

I sat my place way off the field to bascially view what was coming out. 1 stinking little doe fawn on Thursday night. :roll: I sat my place again (actually in a hunting location) because the wind was perfect and I saw 2 little deer. That was all. I use to be getting 120 pics a week from my camera, now I had 3 deer in a week. :cry:

With all the rain, I could use a small boat to get around. I have lots of standing water and I assume those deer have left for dryer ground??? My corn is the only corn standing anywhere but yet I do not see deer like I use to.

Seems like ever since this high wind and now standing water :roll: , the deer are non-existant. So much for a honey hole. :?

Here is a pic of my now wood duck area?? :cry:

Couple shots of my food plot

Few others of the area I hunt

I am sure hoping it is the high water that has pushed them out of there. I am the only hunter who bowhunts this, which is about 90 acres (fields and woods).

Going to stay out until next weekend. Thoughts?? I am thinking why go in there with the little bit of deer I am seeing??? THOUGHTS????

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Keeping a positive attitude

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:30 am

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Stay out let it dry out a little, with the only standing corn....should turn hot. If you were a deer would you walk through the muck if you didn't have to? me neither. Good lucky buddy great looking spot, when the boys start chasing hardcore, I would want to be in there.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:36 am

Take a few days off, don't get down in the dumps yet, it's not even November!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:51 am

Keep your chin up!! Remind yourself that you have 90 acres to yourself. Think about the hunters hunting public being over crowded. Be thankful you are able to hunt!!
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 am

its easy to get emotional when hunting-that's why we do it-for the highs and lows. we get anxious and have high expectations and then nothing, nothing, nothing after several days invested from our busy lives. anyway, try it again in a week and try other spots if time allows. as dan says, confidence is everything
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:44 am

Gardner Swamp wrote:Keep your chin up!! Remind yourself that you have 90 acres to yourself. Think about the hunters hunting public being over crowded. Be thankful you are able to hunt!!

Exactly!! I'm feeling a little bit negative right now due to the pressure on public land but looking forward to the weekend being over so I can start out fresh again to start the next week. The best time of the rut is coming so make sure you are out there whenever you possibly can. During the rut everything changes and your land could be quiet one day and crazy with action the next so be prepared.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:52 am

i agree-the rut is crazy-gotta be flexible and patient-2 keys to life in general
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:00 am

I hunt a small property close to my house a lot too. I have 2 weeks off work and will hunt there 90% of the time. I have several stands setup near thick bedding areas, that doe usually hang in. If Im not seeing many deer ,I always remind myself how it only takes one "hot doe", to bring a big boy around. A mature buck will travel miles looking for love. Got to be mentally ready for climbing up that tree, day after day. I look at Hunting the rut in November as being a marathon, not a sprint. It starts tonight!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:55 am

Tree, your land looks perfect. My opinion water won't bother them. Give the land a break and head out and shine soem neigh bors property, get a feel for where the deer are.

Go hit soem public close by? If you have any? or like others said wait it out. I am jealous you will have that virgin land come early November.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 am

Yup, just stick with it my friends E72 put it perfect. One hot doe can change everything.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Tree, your land looks perfect. My opinion water won't bother them. Give the land a break and head out and shine soem neigh bors property, get a feel for where the deer are.

Go hit soem public close by? If you have any? or like others said wait it out. I am jealous you will have that virgin land come early November.

X2 Go take some frustrations out at a public spot... I would shine your fields if possible. There might be a doe in heat keeping everything out of you fields. Could break loose at any minute.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 am

Stay after it, move to a different location on that 90 to see if you can find some hot action. I hope things pickup for you real soon.
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:13 am

Thanks for the input. Hate to be a whiner :D . I am off next Friday and the Monday after. 4 long days of all day hunts. 8-)
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Yep, that is an awesome lay out with the food plots and everything, the rut is dang near here if not already, anything can happen. Good luck on 'em, Karl ;)
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm

I am an eternal optomist in the deer woods. I set up thinking I am going to kill a deer every single time I hit the woods. Maybe it is because I struggled so much when I first started that I developed a never say die attitude. I remember going weeks without even seeing a single deer.

How about this for a positive attitude? I am going to kill a buck on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”