2010 Bowhunting Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cash 18

Re: 2010 Bowhunting Reports

Unread postby Cash 18 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:58 am

Last night I saw five bucks and four does. all were year and a halves besides the last buck was a two and a half. Overall a pretty good night.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 am

Dewey wrote:Sounds like a great day of hunting Headgear. 8-)

I needed it too, hadn't seen a buck all season before that. Heading back out today about 1:00 to a new spot and will report any action, this work stuff is way overrated.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:55 am

Im so ready to get off work and hit the woods! All of the reports have me stoked!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:24 am

At least one mature buck responded to the horns for me already, he's now dead. Take 'em with ya, never know when they'll come in handy!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

my uncle shot a buck last night that came running in to horns...rattling seems to be working for me right now very well..better than other years..had a nice 3 1/2 yr old 10 point come in tonight about 100 yards..wasnt going to shoot him but he chased a doe around and ended up breeding her right in front of me..pretty cool never saw that before..soon after that a total of 8 bucks came in to that doe but the bigger one just chased them off..one of my better hunts iv been on in a while
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:56 pm

I ran out after work hoping to set up on the hot doe that had the big boyfriends yesterday... After setting up the wind shifted a little and was blowing strait at the main doe bedding area :roll: To late to change at that point and I expected cruisers to come from a different direction. About 30 minutes before dark I heard movement directly down wind and a small 8 pointer walked out and walked right under me... 10 minutes before closing time I heard a big one walking parallel out in the cattail. Sounded bigger than the 1st one. but he avoided dry land. I even pulled out some desperation and gave him a few grunts. No dice.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Public land was absolutely crazy tonight. I sat all day from opening to closing and did not see my first deer until 5:00 P.M.!!
I had a shooter buck coming in and he was spooked by somebody doing some very amateur calling. I never heard a worst display of calling in my life. This guy was calling ever 2-3 minutes with 15-20 grunts each time. Unbelievable!! :evil: Then to top it off I packed up and started walking out and this guy was still calling in his tree 15 minutes after closing!! :evil:
Time to hunt a different spot and avoid the public land mob!
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Dewey wrote:Public land was absolutely crazy tonight. I sat all day from opening to closing and did not see my first deer until 5:00 P.M.!!
I had a shooter buck coming in and he was spooked by somebody doing some very amateur calling. I never heard a worst display of calling in my life. This guy was calling ever 2-3 minutes with 15-20 grunts each time. Unbelievable!! :evil: Then to top it off I packed up and started walking out and this guy was still calling in his tree 15 minutes after closing!! :evil:
Time to hunt a different spot and avoid the public land mob!

Hate to hear it was a bust Dewey! I know you put in alot of time and engery into your setups
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Tonight I sat in a funnel in between 2 doe bedding areas. I was sitting right on a picked soybean field too. Ended up seeing 12 different does in that field but no bucks? Im wondering if lockdown is occuring already? It seems way to early but after seeing that many does in a secluded field and no bucks to investigate Im kind of wondering. Are the bucks scent checking them from the woods? Oh and I did see a big buck but he was scared from my neighbors land and just kept on going opposite direction from the field where the does were. Overall it was a great sit tonight to see so many deer but im dissapointed and a little confused that I didnt see any bucks on the does' tails.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:46 am

i gotta get out-hope this ruttin action is going on in mi, my kansas trip should time the tail end of the rut perfectly (Nov 17-23)!
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:51 am

dan are you hunting public seeing these booners? Good to hear you are onto some. I am pulling for you!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:36 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:Tonight I sat in a funnel in between 2 doe bedding areas. I was sitting right on a picked soybean field too. Ended up seeing 12 different does in that field but no bucks? I'm wondering if lock down is occurring already? It seems way to early but after seeing that many does in a secluded field and no bucks to investigate I'm kind of wondering. Are the bucks scent checking them from the woods? Oh and I did see a big buck but he was scared from my neighbors land and just kept on going opposite direction from the field where the does were. Overall it was a great sit tonight to see so many deer but im disappointed and a little confused that I didn't see any bucks on the does' tails.
I doubt their In lock down. To me the older bucks are just starting to get Interested.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:42 am

Hunted my first morning today and saw bucks and does......spikes and a fork? :)

First time out, but just in the back yard as it was easy to sit with a prehung stand. One mature doe with (2) fawns, (1) doe with one fawn and the (3) bucks. The bucks were sparring back and forth and one actually snort-wheezed at a doe. Doe just side stepped him and kept on going with her fawns. The little guy never gave chase, just stayed arond with his buddies. Doesn't look anything major for the chasing phase heating up here, in Rhinelander.

Even tho it was a long shot for a shooter to appear in this stand it sure was great to get out. My son is with me and he stayed in bed while I hunted. Now we are eating quick and off to check some of my old spots for scouting.....I should be able to hunt during the week starting Nov 9th or 10th. Not the best laid plans for the season but I'll take what is offered.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 am

wmihunter wrote:dan are you hunting public seeing these booners? Good to hear you are onto some. I am pulling for you!

Yes... But only one is a true booner and living on the public. The other would probably not net boone, and was coming from private managed going to the public.
I'm wondering if lock down is occurring already?

I am sure some are, but most of the does have not gone into heat yet.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 am

I am sure some are, but most of the does have not gone into heat yet
Whats your thoughts on when most will come In to heat Dan?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”