"Toro" - The Buck Who Charged

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

"Toro" - The Buck Who Charged

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Well, I am quite happy to be making this post this year. After some bad luck last year and a surprise pregnancy I knew that I wouldn't have much time in the tree but as luck would have it I got just enough time in Gods creation. Again this year I lost some good ground and had to rely a lot on public ground and then as luck would have it a new neighbor happened to have 23 acres of ground that I could hunt. What was awesome is that it's the RIGHT 23 acres situated in that perfect location between two giant chunks of timber. What's that saying I'd rather have the right 25 acres than the wrong 500?

Anyway, I've had a slow but fun season. Lots of deer sightings but no hawgs, until this morning. I've found out that with kids everything takes on a whole new light. I never knew that the girls would become 5 pm monsters and that hunting in the afternoon would NEVER happen if I wanted to stay married, so, I was stuck hunting mornings. Last night I couldn't decide where to go because none of the weather sites could agree on a wind. In the end I just averaged them all together and hoped for the best.

I got up early and made my way to the stand, getting set up around 0530, which is PLENTY early. I guess I'd rather be early than late, eh? I caught up on some emails and still had time to say a quick prayer, count stars, and just enjoy some peace and quiet. As it got gray I stood up and just sat tight until about 0725 when I decided to rattle. The morning was so stinking quiet and peacefull that I actually startled myself with the horn banging. As the echoes faded away I grabbed my bow and stayed vigilant. With the lack of wind there was swirling so I kept my eyes peeled in the upwind direction while I ground my teeth as I looked downwind. About 3 minutes eeeked by when I suddenly saw tines running up out of a ditch and onto my little point. I had about 20 seconds to glass, decide whether or not to shoot, and then actually draw while the buck charged like a bull and went right under me at 9 yards. As he passed behind a decent tree I got drawn and aimed while he was running passed me. I managed a few "merps" and he slowed to a trot, I aimed, followed along, and released one of my new Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials into the boiler room! I hit him high but the arrow angled into him from the 6th rib back and came out his right leg joint, right in the "pocket" of his arm pit.

I honestly couldn't believe it had happened that quick this early. I replayed the scenario and that's when the shakes took hold of me, I mean, REALLY took hold of me. I knew it was serious because when I looked up into the sky to say "Thank You" I couldn't help but laugh at how badly the tree was shaking, not even kidding here! A few texts, phone calls, and a quick climb down and I was on the track. With the high hit there wasn't much blood but what was there was frothy and pink, just the way I like it. After about 100 yards I started to get nervous but knew he was done for. About another 30 yards and I spotted the big white belly in a ditch. That's when I hit euphoria!

I thought he sorta shrunk after I found him, but as I kept looking at him through the photo shoot and while down at stuffy's place he started to grow again, a GOOD problem to have! Anyway, thanks for reading, here's some pics.

Seconds after the shot I was pretty overcome, especially when I turned around and saw this. My prayer was answered.

How do you make a buck look big? Stick him next to a 2 year old!

Olivia actually pointed to the goo in the bottom of the truck and proclaimed it a "Mess Daddy, Deer, Mess"

Entire turn out

And the photoshoot, I am seriously pumped up over this Iowa giant.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
jigglestick

Re: "Toro" - The Buck Who Charged

Unread postby jigglestick » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:22 pm

there is absolutely nothing worng with that buck...except now your tag is filled...
way to stay solid with the family. you were rewarded.
congratulations muddy!
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Congrats my friend. That buck is a great looking buck! Some day when I have a beautiful family like yours I will make sure they are in my photos too!
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Found the pics.. ;) Sweet buck Muddy, congrats. again, glad it worked out for you!
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Congratulations on the great buck! Looks like you have some future hunters there.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:43 pm

awesome buck muddy, congrats
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Dude What a great buck and a great story! That sunrise pic is breathtaking really making me wish I could be out there badly. I am very happy for you congrats buddy on a beautiful buck and some beautiful children.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Nice buck there Muddy!!!! 8-)
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:34 am

Great deer! Cool story...i am with you muddy. i have 2 little ones and i am learning to balance everything-every season is different. Glad God blessed you with this deer and the new property. Gotta support the wife and the family they come first. If help is needed I need to be there. My wife also knows that early/late october and most of november I hat making commitments be it to family or otherwise. I want to be available to hit the woods at a moments notice.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:37 am

Great buck Muddy! Congrats! 8-)
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:41 am

NICE! 8-)
Cash 18

Unread postby Cash 18 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:40 am

Way to GO!
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:54 am

GREAT buck!!! What you been thru has not been easy, but this is a pretty sweet reward to help you remove some of the stress.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:00 am

Great story, nothing wrong with that one-Nice
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”