Age this one

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntsMidwest

Age this one

Unread postby HuntsMidwest » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:39 am

I recently got pics of this fawn that looks to be less than 2 months old. That means its mother must have gotten pregnant in feb or march. The mother is last years fawn, and with plenty of bucks around, she must have gotten pregnant on her first cycle. How old do you think it is? Image
Last edited by HuntsMidwest on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Age this one

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:09 am

Can you show us a bigger pic?
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:37 am

Looks to small to make it thru the winter around here.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 am

The fawn only looks to be a couple weeks old to me, and, if I didn't know better, I think the other deer is a young bucks. Looks like a testicular sac rather than an udder and a little antler on the head to me. I think momma is dead.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:43 am

The mother is last years fawn, and with plenty of bucks around, she must have gotten pregnant on her first cycle. How old do you think it is?
I'm confused a little. Whatever doe or doe fawn that got bred to have this fawn to me was bred In her last cycle which can happen In January through February.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:45 am

huntinnurse wrote:The fawn only looks to be a couple weeks old to me, and, if I didn't know better, I think the other deer is a young bucks. Looks like a testicular sac rather than an udder and a little antler on the head to me. I think momma is dead.
Who knows If mamas dead but I think your right that the older deer here Is a buck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 am

That fawn don't look more than a month old. I seen one a few years ago on opening day that small, but not this late. A year or two ago I saw a deer getting registered for gun season that was brown without spots and was so small you could of stuffed it into a back pack... 20 or 30 pounds.
HuntsMidwest

Unread postby HuntsMidwest » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:51 am

Here is a better picture, with its mother
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 pm

Wow, probably won't make it thru the winter. How long before it is weened off momma?

Buddy shot one with the bow once in Nov that weighed 38 or 39 lbs dressed and no spots. He has shot a ton of deer but thought it was a freak midget deer or something and wanted to show all of us back at camp.

There was absolutly no spots on it or any markings like your picture and we still don't know why it wasn't a "full grown" fawn like the others. He said still tasted good.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”