Hunting in the Rain

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dabowhunter

Re: Hunting in the Rain

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:18 am

I tried a tree umbrella for the first time last year. Works pretty good for me, keeps me on stand thru downpours that I otherwise would have given up on.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:28 am

Dabowhunter wrote:I tried a tree umbrella for the first time last year. Works pretty good for me, keeps me on stand thru downpours that I otherwise would have given up on.

X2!! Works good for snow falling from the trees also!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:04 am

PLB wrote:
Dabowhunter wrote:I tried a tree umbrella for the first time last year. Works pretty good for me, keeps me on stand thru downpours that I otherwise would have given up on.

X2!! Works good for snow falling from the trees also!!

The last time I tried a tree umbrella it snapped in wind and was history...

Of course, I hunt some pretty extreme conditions, I guess... :?
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 pm

My buddy's and I have a theory that deer hunker down when they loose two senses. During heavy rain and high winds they struggle hearing and seeing since its loud and all vegetation is moving. What you do find is a lot of predator movement, maybe because if they can jump something they know its prey is at a disadvantage. So right when condition improve enough it regain senses they're back on their feet. Its what we observe, not sure if anyone else sees the same movement change.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 am

purebowhunting wrote:My buddy's and I have a theory that deer hunker down when they loose two senses. During heavy rain and high winds they struggle hearing and seeing since its loud and all vegetation is moving. What you do find is a lot of predator movement, maybe because if they can jump something they know its prey is at a disadvantage. So right when condition improve enough it regain senses they're back on their feet. Its what we observe, not sure if anyone else sees the same movement change.

I've had similar observations... I've watched bucks and does return to bedding when heavy rains and wind hit, followed by them coming back out when the squall line passed and the rain became light.
ONE UP

Unread postby ONE UP » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 am

killed my first good buck in the rain last WINTER lol. just wanted to add that I wear my rain gear under my camo. keeps the noise down from rain and friction. not productive for long hikes unless temps are low.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:53 am

bump
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Great thread, I hadn't come across this yet. Thanks for bumping.Do you guys believe barometric pressure effects deer? Do they feed on a drop in pressure?

Bass fishing is my area of expertise and barometric pressure really changes fish behavior. Just curious if it translates to deer?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:22 pm

basspro05 wrote:Great thread, I hadn't come across this yet. Thanks for bumping.Do you guys believe barometric pressure effects deer? Do they feed on a drop in pressure?

Bass fishing is my area of expertise and barometric pressure really changes fish behavior. Just curious if it translates to deer?

Yes... Its not only what I believe though, there have been plenty of radio collar studies showing deer moving heavy on Rapidly dropping or rising barometer.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:38 am

I think rain has a way to bring your scent to the ground and although lighter rain seems to be the consensus- I think it stinks spots up to some degree

I think the just prior, or better yet sneak in the down pour, setup, let it stop if the way to go...then the water works in your favor for scent, noise and likely deer movement.

I have owned one of those umbrellas for like 10 years...not sure if it has ever been out of my pack for use though...lol
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 am

I'm ready to rock in the rain this year, and this thread has some great posts from great hunters. Anyone else ready to roll? 8-)
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Finally got a military Gore Tex suit and excited too hunt in rain with not getting soaked!

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 am

yungbuck wrote:Finally got a military Gore Tex suit and excited too hunt in rain with not getting soaked!

Nice- I've used it duck hunting, deer hunting, fishing... Great stuff.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:05 pm

about 7 years ago I was hunting a public piece across from a large hunt club up north. I was staying with a father son team in the club. It was pouring in the morning and I was getting dressed in the trailer and having some coffee.

They woke up and said you going out in this. Yep. So off I went it was a real doozy and I almost shot a deer in that mess too. While I was walking around (that's what I do mostly but especially in the rain) I hear two gun shots all morning back across the road in the club (its a big club 13,000 acres or so).

After I get back they got two bucks in the back of the truck. I was so happy they got up and went after I left, and even happier that the two shots I heard all morning were theirs.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:about 7 years ago I was hunting a public piece across from a large hunt club up north. I was staying with a father son team in the club. It was pouring in the morning and I was getting dressed in the trailer and having some coffee.

They woke up and said you going out in this. Yep. So off I went it was a real doozy and I almost shot a deer in that mess too. While I was walking around (that's what I do mostly but especially in the rain) I hear two gun shots all morning back across the road in the club (its a big club 13,000 acres or so).

After I get back they got two bucks in the back of the truck. I was so happy they got up and went after I left, and even happier that the two shots I heard all morning were theirs.

Sounds like you were the inspiration for them to get out there Lou- the rain can lead to some great hunts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”