Treestand activitys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What do you do in stand? (can vote 6 times )

Eat food
17%
Drink liquids
19%
read books
5%
text
25%
phone calls
1%
sleep
6%
just stay focused on hunting
26%

Total votes: 778
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Treestand activitys

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Come to NH where your lucky to see a deer on 1 out of 3 sits...
Might change your perspective a bit ;)
Can be Boring @ times...

Yea, I know I am spoiled having a lot more deer around than some places but even when not seeing any deer there is often quite a few wild critters of some kind to look at.

I know it depends on personalities a bit too. I grew up without a TV - and still don't have one - so my attention span didn't get shortened to that of a goldfish like a lot of people I have been around. :think:

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

JoeRE wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Come to NH where your lucky to see a deer on 1 out of 3 sits...
Might change your perspective a bit ;)
Can be Boring @ times...

Yea, I know I am spoiled having a lot more deer around than some places but even when not seeing any deer there is often quite a few wild critters of some kind to look at.

I know it depends on personalities a bit too. I grew up without a TV - and still don't have one - so my attention span didn't get shortened to that of a goldfish like a lot of people I have been around. :think:

LOL - I too know goldfish styled people...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 am

Might text a little from time to time. Usually stay entertained by what's going on around my sets. Catch myself dozing once in a while when exhausted and the action is slow....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:21 am

My phone sucks, nothing smart about it. I still can't justify spending that much money on a phone. I prefer to stand up most of the time while on stand, that seems to keep me awake. I like to look at stuff with my binoculars when I get bored.
brink

Unread postby brink » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:01 am

I text a decent bit but 95% of it is texting trdtnlbwhntr when we are hunting our lease at the same time. Always fun to be texting back and forth regularly and then nothing...That silence usually means arrows or slugs are being let loose :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Whatever is Clever.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 am

bump
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:46 pm

For an all day hunt, eat, drink, relax, sleep, text, surf the hunting boards including the beast, facebook, guess ranges to objects, pee on animals, and if it all works out, make a phone call.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm

I usually stay focused on hunting but may surf the net during long sits

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mnbowmanmark

Unread postby mnbowmanmark » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Most of the time I am in places where I don't get phone service but I bring water or ice tea and something to eat.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:46 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:For an all day hunt, eat, drink, relax, sleep, text, surf the hunting boards including the beast, facebook, guess ranges to objects, pee on animals, and if it all works out, make a phone call.

:lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:43 am

I've learned to mainly keep my head in the game due to some missed opportunities due to messing around...

But on the flip side...I gotta be comfy...if I gotta make noise to eat...drink..have a chew..so be it...I do it slowly and only after scanning the entire woods...and it keeps me in the stand longer....I've gone all day without eating and minimal drinking....its no fun...

Usually if I'm hunting all day I'm in a rut funnel and you can get away with moving a little bit more than other times of the year....I've literally hollered at some bucks and they never react because there is a hot doe in front of them..

My girlfriend is also hundreds of miles away....so I am guilty of texting and playing on the phone...but I don't get completely consumed and focused on it...

Its a danged if you do and danged if you don't thing for me...I know it runs the risk of spooking deer...but at the same time it keeps me there longer....

Good tree with some decent cover and a good back drop and such and you aughta be fine unless you watch videos while doing jumping jacks...lol. but...I haven't hunted buck beds..or situations where moving a muscle can make or break my hunt....

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:49 am

I always have my phone with me as I use it as a GPS, emergency device and a camera for taking pictures of beds and hunting setups etc. This is a double edged sword because it also brings the temptation for texting which I fall prey to sometimes.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm naturally a very impatient person and always having to be moving. However, on stand I stay pretty focused, even on long sits. I do text to break the monotony.

I've never really been caught too off guard with phone in hand, so I'll be keeping it with me. I had some issues with forgetting to turn the ringer off...
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:54 am

I was reading back over this and I realized that I usually have a few bottles of water with me as well as some snacks. Do I eat them, here and there, I usually get involved in the hunt and forget I have food. I started always having something to eat with me last year on a morning sit where the woods were booming with activity and wanted to stay all day when I was planning for just a morning sit. I got so hungry I had to run in and get something to eat.

When I bring water and snacks out with me, I think the wind and what stand I am in play a lot into if I actually get to drink or eat. If its a calm day with no wind, I don't move very much and that means I don't drink at all. If its windy and I can get away with some movement I'll usually go through a bottle of water and not worry about it.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:13 am

Acron cruncher, cant beleive nobody takes one with them. LOL They work even better in areas with no oaks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”