New Spot

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

New Spot

Unread postby woody-san » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 am

Found the following spot when scouting on opening weekend (9/26).

-The Yellow P is where I park
-The blue dots are my path in to the stand site
-The dark blue dot is my stand site within an old dried up pond
-The red dots are where the buck is bedding (West side of the hill for North and East winds, East side of the hill for South and West Winds)
-The Pink Dots are the trail and rubline leading from the buck’s bed to the dried out pond my stand is in
-The Pink line running up the spine of the ridge is a trail that someone cut, it goes all the way to the powerline that runs NE to SW
-The arrows are the North Wind I’m going to utilize to hunt this

This dried out pond is basically a grocery store for deer. There are two large puddles they drink from and the place is littered with acorns and 4 finger tracks. I think a buck bedding off that hill will feel save cruising up there in the North wind and staging before he goes out to local agriculture. With the North wind, he’ll think he’s smelling the whole dried out pond, but in reality his travel route will not cut my scent stream. My tree is 15 yards from his trail.

Both sides of this point are thicker than all get out so hunting anywhere but the pond is a tough situation. It opens up a bit after the powerline, but up until that point, nothing short of a napalm strike will make it walkable. It’s thick, it’s remote, it’s loaded with acorns, it has water up high…I like it!! It's been hard to resist going in since I've found this, especially with the North winds we've been getting, but I wanted to let it go for at least two weeks after I was in there. Seems the 13th and 14th are moon days with the deer starting their evening routines early. If I can get a North wind on one of those days, the table could be set very nicely!

NatureBoy
500 Club

Re: New Spot

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:31 am

Sounds like you have a well thought-out plan. I wish you success!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Good luck I hope you can score big.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Wrinkleneck wrote:Good luck I hope you can score big.

x2
8-)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:40 am

Keep us posted. There is nothing like having your success documented. Good Luck
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:25 am

Tomorrow night might be the night! Or at least my best chance on this spot. I'ts been 17 days since I've been in there, the wind isn't perfect (NE instead of N) but the forecast has a NW wind for the next day, so hopefully I'll get it at NNE which should be just fine. I'll admit, I'm running a bit of a risk with the wind, it's a moon night and probably my best and maybe last chance to get it done before the rut kicks in. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:51 am

8-)
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:41 pm

good luck Woody 8-)
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 am

Well guys, it didn't work out, didn't see a deer. I was still happy with the hunt though as I found a nice spot using Hill Country tactics, waited for what seemed to be the perfect or best situation, and then jumped in and hunted it. Some things that may have gone wrong:

-Wind was all over the place yesterday, It was WNW moving to NE in the AM, SE in the afternoon when I was at my truck before going in (which still works for this spot), and when I got up in the stand, directly out of the North (which is what I was wanting to begin with). Maybe a weird wind gave me away?

-The approach was nasty...very thick and the loudest freaking leaves I've ever walked on. I spent about an hour and 20 minutes on the last 200 yards of my approach. I dropped down a 1/3 of the way down on the opposite side of the point from where I thought the buck might be bedding. Still, the wind wasn't helping me out as far as covering my noise. Perhaps the buck heard me?

-Being that it was a moon night, perhaps he skipped the staging and went straight to the AG?

It rained last night so I might be able to get back in here again in a week or so. I'd like to get in after a rain so I can make a quieter approach. There was a lot of new buck sign there, so he's definitely still around. If nothing else, I should be able to get a couple good pre-rut, rut hunts out of this spot. Last year I noticed a mature buck making rounds of his core area after daylight as the rut approached. I wouldn't rule out a morning hunt up there after a rain, maybe I'll get him checking the scrapes and rubs? I have to say, it was awful exciting moving in on a pre-scouted spot when the conditions were in my favor!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”