Bowhunting out of a blind=success?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Bowhunting out of a blind=success?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:43 am

Im just getting into hunting out of blinds from Ameristep. I was wondering if anyone has had success killing deer out of them. Does anyone have any tips about bowhunting in blinds? I have heard you should wear all black clothing? Thanks for any information.

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Bowhunting out of a blind=success?

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:50 am

all black clothing and facemask would work, i know the turkey hunting guys do it. You need to have the wind in your favor, and blinds are great for field edges.

a close friend of mine just smoked the 1st monster of the year in our area, out of a ground blind. 12 yard shot, and a 17 point 165inch buck.

they watched the deer where he would come out, did homework on what wind wouldnt blow scent towards where the buck was seen... and thats all she wrote.

I beleive every serious whitetail hunter needs a hangon, climber, and ground blind to take full advanatge of any setup that may arise.
You can't kill em on the couch
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 am

First year for me out of a ground blind too. I set mine out two months ago in a cattail marsh near bedding. I also built a natural ground blind in a funnel between bedding and bedding for the rut. My biggest concern is as scent-free as possible. I'm shaking my base layers, face mask, hat, gloves and backpack in TruCarbon. We'll see what happens.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 am

Brandon wrote:
a close friend of mine just smoked the 1st monster of the year in our area, out of a ground blind. 12 yard shot, and a 17 point 165inch buck.

they watched the deer where he would come out, did homework on what wind wouldnt blow scent towards where the buck was seen... and thats all she wrote.

8-) How far ahead of time did the set the blind?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:22 am

well in advance...
You can't kill em on the couch
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 am

The above are all good things, but also remember to blend in the ground blind. By this I mean you must brakeup the outline of the ground blind.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

I love being up high in a tree, but hunting outa of a blind is awesome if done right . You can get away with a lot of crap you could,nt dream of in a tree.Not as mobile but for the right spot they are pretty awesome.Definitely wear black.I tested all my fifferent camo in my blind witha person outside looking in.All movement was spotted with all camo patterns. But after i put on my black gloves, facemask and sweatshirt,NOTHING. I was waving my arms up and down shaking my head side 2 side and she never saw anything at all.
Take the extra time and practice shooting from the windows ,check for clearances.A small swivel stool works great for quick adjustments .
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:16 pm

For whitetails you absolutely need to have it up for a long time prior to hunting. Preferably brushed in as well. Black clothing is huge plus and make sure you have only the few windows in front of you open....no backlighting that way. I wouldn't recommend them for slob hunting, but can be very fun to hunt out of for lesser animals. Good luck.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:15 pm

thats 1 of my goals is to kill a nice buck out of a double bull blind...pretty tough to do i hear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:03 pm

Every deer I have ever missed has been from a same day set groundblind.....They just don't like them and they are always on edge.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:18 pm

The key to ground blind hunting deer is to brush it in really well and if it has porthole windows either leave them open or turn the curtains BLACK side out.........Deer don't like those little black holes an open window creates, so by turning the curtains black out they will hopefully get used to them when the window is really open...........I use a Round Bale blind from Blind Ambitions and no need to brush it in as it looks exactly like a round bale, I just turn the windows inside out and put it anywhere I want, the deer get acclimated to it really quickly as they see it as a real round bale. 8-)
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:57 am

I hunted out of one for the first time last weekend. I like the T2 double bull because of the peaked roofline, its easier to hide. Set it up at 6pm and shot a slob at 7:20 in open woods, just set it behind about a 6 inch fallen tree and threw a couple sticks on the roof. Buck came within 10 yards. Great element of suprise, but dont shoot through the mesh at an angle. Look for my story post under the buck contest thread coming soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”