2010 Bowhunting Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: 2010 Bowhunting Reports

Unread postby Casper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:52 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I'm right in the heart of the cwd zone, and yes, it does suck ! I will probably be in earn a buck for the rest of my life. :roll:

I hear ya there! Sucks. Its kind of pathetic that I have four buck tags.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:07 am

Decided to share with you my stand set up and where the deer came from... I'm set up in a core area I believe. I scouted in March while shed hunting and found the CRP held many beds, doe beds... Thinking this would be a killer rut spot for bucks scent checking for does, I hung this set. . .

Turns out, it's gonna be one of those all season long spots. It's also within 70 yards of where a couple different bucks are bedding as I learned on Wednesday after hearing them rise from their beds and watching them walk past me..

the two bucks followed the same trail, the doe came in from the other angle.

What I need to do is get my stand up in the tree closer to the corner where they came out, but it's super thick and I fear it may be too late in the game, at least for this year to do anything about it...

To prepare for a chance in this spot, I've been practicing out to 60 yards and feel comfortable taking a deer at 50 yards if it ever came down to it. B/T 50 and 60 there's a lot of difference in the drop and while only 10 yard difference, too much room for error. The deer I saw all stopped in the same place (where the doe meets the buck trail), which is a 45 yard shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Anybody go out last night in WI with the wind gusting up to 40 mph. We took the kids to the High School Football instead. Plan on going today even if it is windy. I hope I didn't make a mistake not going? I have been in my stand before with the wind so bad I had to hang onto the tree with both arms because of the wind, would not want to repeat that again.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:34 am

Beauford wrote:Anybody go out last night in WI with the wind gusting up to 40 mph. We took the kids to the High School Football instead. Plan on going today even if it is windy. I hope I didn't make a mistake not going? I have been in my stand before with the wind so bad I had to hang onto the tree with both arms because of the wind, would not want to repeat that again.

I didn't make it out yesterday since I had to work but I have to say that some of my most exciting hunts have happened on the most windy days just like we just had. Great days to get on the ground and stalk new areas. I have been really shocked how close I have been to bedded deer. Last year I was within 10 feet of a bedded doe and fawn and they never knew I was there. :shock: Another time I was hunting northern WI and the winds were gusting 30-40 mph so I decided to get out of my tree. Just as I started climbing down out of nowhere the most magnificent and largest bodied mature buck I have ever seen came through just out of bow range with the wind at his back and not a care in the world. All I could do is watch in disbelief because I never would have thought that a buck of that caliber would have been up on his feet during such conditions. I am sure the bucks on heavily pressured public land know there will be less hunting pressure on inclement days and use this to their advantage.
I try to hunt no matter what the conditions are and seem to have better luck on some of the worst days.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Went out hunting a public marsh tonight, hunted a new set never in the tree before. Found this spot last year scouting looked good. Around 6pm I could hear a deer walking towards me couldn't see in the tall grass-cattails. She ended up coming out to the left of me 30 yds and got my wind. She leaped back in the thick stuff and bounded away at least 150 yds blowing and snorting WTF. I have never seen a doe zig zag back and forth bounding and snorting so much. This one really made a lot of racket to alert the other deer. I have had deer bust me before but never this bad.
Talked to a group of (4) hunters two on the gravel road on the way out and two back at the parking lot. They had one doe down and went looking for another one. Somebody had some success.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Hunted in the marsh today and had a fairly decent day. Saw a mature doe about one hour before dark and a 110"-115" 8 pointer that looked to be about a 2 1/2 year old 20 minutes before closing. I had plenty of shots but gave him a free pass until next year.
I set up on a point going out into the cattails that had acorns and hickory nuts at the far opposite end. The buck was bedding in the thick point just as I had suspected from post season scouting. I like it when a plan works out like that. Too bad he wasn't a little bigger. I'm holding out for something 140" or better at least until the end of the rut since I have plenty of vacation time left for hunting.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:33 am

Hunted Saturday night 9/25 on the edge of the marsh where an oak flat stretches out to the thick marsh edge. I saw 3 and herd a few more I couldn't see through the thick brush. A doe and fawn and a fork horn that would have got an arrow if he could have hid his horns a little better. He looked like a doe the whole time as he was coming in but something just said he was a buck, so I waited and at 15 yards I could finally tell he had forks. Would of been nice to get my earn a buck tag for next year. What an awesome night to be in the marsh. No bugs and perfect weather.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:29 am

Sounds like you had a good evening of hunting adrenalin
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:15 am

Went out yesterday afternoon about 3:00, saw four 1.5 year old bucks pulling up to my parking spot........thought they were out kinda early. Packed in two stands as I already had sticks on the tree, but I forgot to clear shooting lanes in the spring and in the process of cutting a couple limbs we spooked a big deer about 75 yards away.........don't know if it was a buck or doe, but had a seriously LOUD snort, sounded like it's nostrels were the size of silver dollars..........settled in and no more than an hour later we heard soft doe grunting in the thicket 50 yards in front of us, could not see her til she was at about 25 yards but luckily it was thick enough for me to grab the bow and Shane to stand up and get the camera on her.......She moved past at about 15 yards and I had to wait til I had her in an opening about the size of a softball, I asked Shane if he was on her and bleated her to a stop, she stopped perfect with her lower vitals in the opening and I let the sting go when the pin found the hair. The shot looked good and she ran about 40 yards and stopped, as she began to go again I could see the telltale waiver in her gait and knew she would be down soon.........Finally redemption for the poor shot choice I had made just a week prior! We sat til just before dark and had a buck fawn and another deer around us, but the big buck never showed so we decided to get down and track while we still had good camera light. Surprisingly the arrow had little blood on it :shock: and that sinking feeling came back that maybe I hadn't hit her as good as I thought.But the blood that was there was bright pink and looked frothy so i was sure I had hit one lung for certain......the blood didn't start for almost 40 yards, but when it did it was like pouring a red can of paint........she made it almost 150 yards before expiring but the blood was everywhere, I suspect she did a death run after stopping the first time, upon the post mortum I could see one lung was completely destroyed and the other just had the lower lobe punctured. I suspect that because it was not centered through both lungs she was able to stay on her feet the 150 yards she made it before total blood loss, never the less a blind man could have followed the sign and there was no chance of losing this one! :D
She wasn't the biggest doe I've ever killed but a 1.5 year old with some tasty tenderloins and plenty of meat for the freezer. :mrgreen:
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 am

Adrenalin I was hunting in Horicon Marsh last night, and when the wind died down at 5:30 the bugs so bad. If I didn't have my bug mask to put on I would have had to leave. The rest of the night I had at least 20 blood thirsty buzzing in my ears and front of my face. One guy back at the parking lot said his buddy got down at 5pm couldn't take the mosquitoes.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:23 am

Went out yesterday afternoon about 3:00, saw four 1.5 year old bucks pulling up to my parking spot........thought they were out kinda early

Peak daytime movement according to the moon guide should of been at 2:23 PM. 3:00 sightings of 1.5 y/o bucks in the field not surprising to me.

I got bit by some skeeters too...
Kind of annoyed with my season... I have only been out 2 evenings so far because of Ma getting hurt, bear season, and talking with lawyers... :(
Generally, I would of hunted every evening so far. I always do my best early season.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:55 am

Beauford wrote:Adrenalin I was hunting in Horicon Marsh last night, and when the wind died down at 5:30 the bugs so bad. If I didn't have my bug mask to put on I would have had to leave. The rest of the night I had at least 20 blood thirsty buzzing in my ears and front of my face. One guy back at the parking lot said his buddy got down at 5pm couldn't take the mosquitoes.

Ya know maybe the thermocell really does work that good. When I got to the woods that leads to the marsh there where alot of bugs so I stopped and turned on my thermocell and finished my walk to the marsh. I never got bit until I got down and turned it off to walk out. Wonder how it would of been without it?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:03 am

My weekend hunt in hill country produce a total of 5 does and fawns. No racks. I had a fox bed down 40 yards in front of me. he was watching squirrels rummage for acorns. One got about 10 yards from him, his ears perked up, but he neve pounced. I thought for sure he would try and get some dinner. Then at quitting time 2 fat coons climmed out of a hollow oak tree. One of my friends shot a 3.5 8 point, Sat night. He had the classic shoulder hit, with a loud thunk. We tracked for over a mile with very little blood that night untill midnight, an resumed yesterday morning, for another 4 hours. He got to a thicket, where ee thought we would find a bed, no luck. I'm pretty sure he is just a little sore, and will survive if he doesn't get a bad infection. Not a lot of blood loss, and he only stopped 3 times over a mile and a half. Even when he was walking we could hardly find blood. Sucks, but I think the deer will live to be hunted again.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 am

Forgot my theramcell last night. BIG MISTAKE. It was a nice night to be out tho being with no wind.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:37 am

I went out last Saturday night on 9-25. I hunted on our family farm in hill country. Sat on top of a ridge on an alfalfa field completely surrounded by hardwoods. Saw a total of 14 deer. 7 were bucks. Right at dark my target deer came out with 4 other bucks. He is a 130-140 10 pointer. But he was bedded to the north of the field with a northwest wind? I know where his bed is but I just dont understand why he bedded where he did according to the wind. He ended up 50 yards out of range. Then last night on that same ridge top but different stand my uncle killed a 3.5 year old 9 pointer with a split brow tine. 130 class it looks like. He hit liver and one lung left him over night and found him this morning. He is going to get a Eueropean mount so im excited to see how it will turn out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”