Deer bed question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Deer bed question

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 am

Dan had the buck I wanted Sat. night of opening weekend. Set up a 120 yrds or so from his bed,first time in that spot. Did not get the job done. He walked right at me behind a wide 150's buck. Sept 30th I was planning to hunt him in His bed in the morning. My question is would I be better setting up in the morning or sneaking in there at 10 or so the night before. All small trees , not sure what tree to hunt. Also I was only about 6 ft up the night I seen him. Think they saw a blob(I am called Bigdaddy) walking to me at 15 yrds and felt something was wrong.How far from the Bed in the morning? I am hunting in a wood lot.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Deer bed question

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:01 am

Sept. 30 should be a good morning... I would get in there in the morning early to set up if you choose to hunt the AM, but personally I would not go in at 10 PM and then back in the AM to hunt. I don't like the fact that you don't have a tree picked out for the AM hunt. This could be an issue cause if you wander around in the wrong spot searching you could spook the deer when he arrives with your ground scent. You could try hunting off the ground if there is good cover, or you could give an evening hunt another try. You might find that the bucks have left because of there 1st encounter with you....
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:15 am

Thanks Dan, Would oct. 1 be a better morning sit. I have a tree picked out from the spring scout. It is on the edge about 15 yrds from the actual bed. Wasnt sure if that is to close seeing I cant get higher than 6 to 8 ft. Sat. night with them spotting me at 15 yrds has me wondering if that would happen in his bed. Thanks for your help, appreciate all you do for this sight and all that participate.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:31 am

Both mornings look good to me.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:41 am

You gotta be the quietest blob in Wisconsin. Good luck bigdaddy
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com