Heading to the U.P this weekend to scout!

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Heading to the U.P this weekend to scout!

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 am

We are on the edge of the best time of the year! I am loading up and heading north on Thursday night for a Yooper scouting expedition near Curtis. Hanging some trail cams and checking for sign/tracks in areas where we had some good bucks hanging out last season......wish me luck!

Don't forget to check the bolts/cables on your treestands before heading out to hang them and wear a safety harness this Autumn.

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: Heading to the U.P this weekend to scout!

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:56 am

I wish you the BEAST buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 am

Good Luck in da UP eh!! :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:37 pm

I will be in the UP also.....but working vs fun. :( Leaving tomorrow morning thru Sunday.

Don't know where Curtis is? anywhere near K.I. Sawyer? I'll buy the first one.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Hope you run into some good sign that a BIG ol BUCK left for you to let you know he is still around!!! Take some pictures of your scouting adventure for us at the BEAST!!Good Luck and I hope all goes well.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Hodag Hunter,

Curtis is located near the Seney Refuge in the east/central portion of the U.P. If you are near there give me a head's up and I can send you my cell number to take you up on your offer!

PLH
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:16 pm

Ahhh, dude! you just had to throw "Seney" in there, didn't ya? Now you've got me seriously jealous, PLH! :lol:

Have a great scouting mission, we'll expect an update. 8-)
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:I will be in the UP also.....but working vs fun. :( Leaving tomorrow morning thru Sunday.

60-70 miles away. You hunt near KI hogdad? Our camp is close to there.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Good luck on the scouting. I'll be heading up there in 3 weeks to do the same thing. Can't wait, hoping to really put some miles on and find some good sign in some different terrains. I usually hunted hardwoods along different transitions (aspen thickets/cedar swamps) where I found good scrapes and rubs. This year I'm hoping to look at some higher spots in the swamps and scout a couple beaver ponds I know of. I will definetely be pouring over google earth for the next few weeks. Best of luck to you up there. 8-)
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:27 pm

PLH, our camp is about 40 miles west of there. A lot of big country up that way.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:47 pm

publiclandhunter wrote:Hodag Hunter,

Curtis is located near the Seney Refuge in the east/central portion of the U.P. If you are near there give me a head's up and I can send you my cell number to take you up on your offer!

PLH

Looking at the map about 80 miles...if I wasn't working the days after I would make the travel.

Working on the old AF Base and staying in Marquette.

Been thru the area a bunch and stayed a spell in Manistique. Next time I'm closer I'll buy the first and second. :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:51 pm

UPbowhunter wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:I will be in the UP also.....but working vs fun. :( Leaving tomorrow morning thru Sunday.

60-70 miles away. You hunt near KI hogdad? Our camp is close to there.

Haven't hunted quite in this area....I don't know it well for hunting but travel thru a lot. Have hunted N-W of Rapid River. Know some guys/work buds that live and have a camp in that area. They run a guide business on the side. Time permitting I will be hooking up with them this weekend for bear trailing missions.

Like I always say.....will help haul bear for beer. 8-)
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:57 am

publiclandhunter wrote:We are on the edge of the best time of the year! I am loading up and heading north on Thursday night for a Yooper scouting expedition near Curtis. Hanging some trail cams and checking for sign/tracks in areas where we had some good bucks hanging out last season......wish me luck!

Don't forget to check the bolts/cables on your treestands before heading out to hang them and wear a safety harness this Autumn.

PLH

How'd the scouting trip go? Find anything interesting?
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:22 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back on this post.

The locals were all telling me that they weren't seeing many deer...claim that the hard winter took its toll on the herd. Well, I found deer in decent numbers...but they were way back off the roads. The further I penetrated into some remote country, the more tracks I was finding. No rubs....but interestingly enough, I did find a fresh scrape under a licking branch in a good funnel next to a beaver pond. I almost went swimming to cross the creek to get to the area where I found the scrape. Decent track in the scrape and some three-plus year old rubs in the general vicinity. I proceeded to hang a camera near the scrape and took GPS coordinates and then chose three different vantage points to hunt it in varying winds.
We ended up logging 15-miles of travel (over two days) on foot and got three respectable set-ups prepped and two cameras hung. In the location without cameras I raked away the dirt on the runs in the funnel that exits the bedding area and will spot check it in mid October for tracks/rubs/etc to see if it is worthy. I will let you know what comes of the mission after I get back up there for a camera pulling session.

I plan on heading back up in mid-October and checking three other viable areas closer to the Tahquahmenon river swamps. Should be a few good ones hanging out in that neck of the woods.

PLH
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:54 am

Congrats on your finds, hopefully you'll have some nice pics when you pull your cams. I'm heading up there to for a 4 day scouting trip (between rapid river and autrain) in a week and a half and I can't wait. :) Been checking google earth pretty steady and getting a game plan together. Got some beaver ponds I want to poke in on, and also some high spots in some cedar swamps. Not expecting much in the way of rubs and scrapes because it always seems we find those much later up there, but hoping to find some good trails and find some areas with some big tracks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”