Buckfever

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Buckfever

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 am

I've passed on allot of 115 to 130 Inch bucks the last 18 years. I know for a fact that helps me when It gets to crunch time with bucks In that 130 to 140 Inch range. When I 1st started letting bucks pass It was much tougher as my nerves and excitement said "shoot" him. Reason being, I hadn't saw many bigger bucks at the time.

This year when I had a 165 Inch class buck at 11 yards my heart was racing. Biggest buck I've ever had that close to me but I kept my cool pretty good for the most part. Unfortunately I couldn't get a shot off because of thick cover the buck was In. I guess what I'm saying Is I've saw enough 130 Inch class bucks and was able to control my nerves when that 165 Incher came with In 11 yards. Time In the woods and seeing some nicer bucks will help. At least with me It has.

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:31 am

Buck fever is what I have 10 months out of the year. The rest of the time I'm hunting... :lol:

It's really a mental thing. When you target shoot, sneak up to that target. Tell yourself that this is a giant 12 point buck, and you have to make the first shot count no matter what. Yeah it's just a target, but this will get your mind in the right mode.

Also try running a few hundred yards as fast as you can, then run over and pick up your bow. Your breathing will be hard, and you might not be so steady. Tell yourself you have one shot now, and make the first one happen.

When a big buck appears, don't make eye contact. Look away from the rack. Tell yourself, I can do this, it's just a deer.

Try going to one of those techno shoots. You get to shoot at images of big bucks.

I know none of this compares to the real thing, but you got to start getting faith in yourself. Tell yourself you can do it. When you go out to target shoot, make your first shot, your best shot everytime. Shooting is no good if you have to "warm up". You gotta convince yourself that you have ice running through your veins. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 am

I hate to get psychological because I know little about psychology but I think its anxiety related. You might think this sounds crazy but try not to drink coffee/energy drinks, smoke, or take anything that increases anxiety. Practice, practice, practice, don't think about the bad. You gotta prepare for it almost as you would a big speech or a big game. As was said envision the shot before it happens, and when it comes take your time and steadily as you can aim at the smallest possible spot on the deer that you can. Once you get one good buck down it will get easier. Best way to get more comfortable is to have done it before. My legs used to shake big time, I couldn't even stand up without leaning most of my weight against the tree, seriously! The first two bow bucks I shot I was sitting down. The shaking and nervousness has never gone away for me its just gotten better. Its not always easy to control the adrenaline rush, everyone has their own methods and I hope your able to find one that works for you.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 am

I get pretty excited watching them come in.
But once I draw my bow I am a cold blooded killer. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

This is what I do, once I see he is a buck I want to shoot, I no longer focus on the rack I am looking for my shooting lane and telling myself (in my head) what the yardage is where I want to kill him. If it's 20, I say "top pin" over and over in my head while I start my draw all the way til I execute the shot. All the while I am focusing on tha sweet spot I want my arrow to blow thru. I believe this helps take the pressure off of what I hope to accomplish,getting a trophy on the ground. 8-)
It's all mental and you need to take control over what you can affect and let 0 doubt enter your mind that you will make the shot.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 pm

I have learned to go from hunting to kill mode when I want to get one....however, buckfever got the best of me in kansas last fall when a big one came in chasing a doe-i stopped him too soon
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Spysar wrote:Buck fever is what I have 10 months out of the year. The rest of the time I'm hunting... :lol:

It's really a mental thing. When you target shoot, sneak up to that target. Tell yourself that this is a giant 12 point buck, and you have to make the first shot count no matter what. Yeah it's just a target, but this will get your mind in the right mode.

Also try running a few hundred yards as fast as you can, then run over and pick up your bow. Your breathing will be hard, and you might not be so steady. Tell yourself you have one shot now, and make the first one happen.

When a big buck appears, don't make eye contact. Look away from the rack. Tell yourself, I can do this, it's just a deer.

Try going to one of those techno shoots. You get to shoot at images of big bucks.

I know none of this compares to the real thing, but you got to start getting faith in yourself. Tell yourself you can do it. When you go out to target shoot, make your first shot, your best shot everytime. Shooting is no good if you have to "warm up". You gotta convince yourself that you have ice running through your veins. :mrgreen:

X2!!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Before I had a good handle on my case of BF:
[youtube]zeQJVe-fzcE[/youtube]

Watch til almost at the end.................. :cry:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:09 pm

bump
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Give yourself an attitude. You are smarter than that buck, you are superior to that buck. That buck is afraid of you, you are not afraid of that buck. He is not in control, you are. Make sure you tell yourself this. Taking control of your mind is the key to not falling apart at crunch time.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:22 am

Stanley wrote:Give yourself an attitude. You are smarter than that buck, you are superior to that buck. That buck is afraid of you, you are not afraid of that buck. He is not in control, you are. Make sure you tell yourself this. Taking control of your mind is the key to not falling apart at crunch time.

I find that holds true when "Cat Fishing" too....... :L: :L: Just saying
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:54 am

wappkid wrote:I guess I am going to have to get myself mad. I focus pretty well when I get mad.I really don't want to relate it to hunting but I am going to have to figure something out to get it done.

Maybe take an insurance bill out with you. I always get mad when they show up. Good luck
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:11 pm

There is no cure for it. LOL

Seriously I don't get Buckfever that's why I picked it as my handle. It's a fight or flight response and in my case I turn cold, maybe a little vicious. I don't know that this will help, but whatever you're feeling lean into it.

Most things in life if we lean into our fear enough, we develop a comfort there.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:09 pm

1st thing that came to my mind was the member buckfever himself. Either I'm thinking of him or bucky. lol! None the less respect to one of them or both. For me buckfever comes and goes. Some years I'm great while others I'm not.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm

I didn't realize It till after I posted again but I did post almost 3 years ago to this date to this same thread. Moral of the story, nothings changed. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”